JDeveloper 12c experiences?

Sten Vesterli

Aug 30, 2013, 6:00:58 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Preparing for OpenWorld, I'm updating all my demos to 12c. Unfortunately, my conclusion so far is that nothing works.

The BC tester (now renamed ADF Model Tester) crashes JDeveloper and doesn't take bind variables. A simple ExecuteWithParams example ignores my parameter value. The list goes on...

Oracle tries to imply some maturity by calling the new JDeveloper 12.1.2.0.0, but it feels more like 12.0.0.0.0. Am I the only one with this experience?

12brink

Aug 30, 2013, 6:35:05 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Oh dear, Business Components being renamed to ADF Model. There goes my vocabulary. How are we conceptually to distinguish the model layer in the ViewController project from the actual Business layer (which is also a model)? So far you could a lest refer to the Model project as the BC4J project. With the BC4J term going away. We have the model and the model. Which are not the same. People seems have a hard enough time not hardwiring those to together in code as it is...

kels788

Aug 30, 2013, 9:27:52 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sten.

You're not alone.  I have also been having MANY issues with the new version of the IDE, and I am really glad that I persuaded our desktop support team to let me keep both versions on my machine because I'm finding JDev 12c to be almost completely unusable.

I've had the following issues, most of which aren't even related to building applications because the IDE isn't stable enough for me to work for more than a few minutes...

1. We had a miserable time installing it. It took our desktop support team days to finally get it installed.  We ended up finding this command on one of the Oracle Forum threads: C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jdk1.6.0_31\bin\java.exe (..your JDK..)  -jar install/modules/ora-launcher.jar DISKCNT=1 JRE_COMPONENT=oracle.jdk,oracle.jre
2. The overall IDE is incredibly slow, which is sad because on my machine I thought JDev 11g was a little sluggish at times.
3. The Business Components Browser (or whatever it is called now) takes at least three minutes to load.  It displays in about the same time as JDev 11g, however, it "freezes". I'm also having an issue similar to what you mentioned with parameters and the BC browser. I had a View Criteria that I was working with, and when I entered my parameters it's like it didn't recognize them, I got a null exception and it quit.  I tried the same scenario in JDev 11g and it worked as I would have expected without any issues.
4. I discovered yesterday that I can't see my pages at design time.  When I drag and drop components or data controls on to a page I get an assortment of multi-colored bars.

I've run numerous tests in both IDEs to troubleshoot, but everything seems to work as expected in JDev 11g, so I am truly at a loss with how to even begin resolving the issues I'm having with JDev 12c.  I can't even imagine what kind of issues I'd have if I could actually get to the point where I could use it to develop.

It's nice to know that someone else is having issues with it. If anyone has any suggestions please share! I will have to continue using JDev 11g until I can get 12c stabilized.

John Flack

Aug 30, 2013, 10:31:37 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Sad to say, I’ve had some problems too, but I’m having trouble pinning it on 12c.  One of the problems occurs on 11.1.2.4 too – my original application was 11.1.2.3.

My problems are particularly with templates.  Images on the template that show fine in the designer don’t show on the running application.  One template uses another template, and it causes an error in bindings before showing the page, even though it worked fine in 11.1.2.3.  (I nest templates – there is a master template for all of our applications, with a standard header and footer, but the menu bar is specific to the application so it is added in a template specific to that application that invokes the master template.)

I’m going to have to build a test application in 11g and migrate it to 12c and see if I can duplicate the problems for a test case.  Built a test case directly in 12c and it worked great.

Birol Bora

Aug 30, 2013, 11:55:53 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sten,
I have jdev 12c 2 developments environment
1. Centos 6.3 OS, 6 core cpu, 16 gb ram, ssd disk(faster desktop computer.) 64 bit oracle Jdk 7.21
I have set jvm ide parameter xms=2g  xmx=8g permsize=256mb max perm size=1g
Ide runs faster,  i have no problem
But sometimes page designer doesn't render page. When i click refresh complete button page renders correctly.
2. Ubuntu 12.10 jdk 1.7_21 32 bit oracle Jdk
Often ide stop working not responding and jvm crashes
I think ide problems related 32 bit jvm memory limitations.  Because Jvm 32 bit xmx parameter max value 1 gb.
Best regards,

30 Ağu 2013 13:01 tarihinde "Sten Vesterli" <st...@vesterli.com> yazdı:

Preparing for OpenWorld, I'm updating all my demos to 12c. Unfortunately, my conclusion so far is that nothing works.

The BC tester (now renamed ADF Model Tester) crashes JDeveloper and doesn't take bind variables. A simple ExecuteWithParams example ignores my parameter value. The list goes on...

Oracle tries to imply some maturity by calling the new JDeveloper 12.1.2.0.0, but it feels more like 12.0.0.0.0. Am I the only one with this experience?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Aurimas Lacitis

Aug 30, 2013, 11:18:24 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

We also have problems with IDE. We started to use ADF (JDev 11g ) not long time ago, now we are trying 12c. We also noticed, that IDE has many bugs. It seems, that this IDE has more bugs and works slower than other Java IDEs.

It is interesting if Oracle plans to improve the quality of IDE soon

Is it recommended to use 12c now, or better to wait other releases?

I also wonder, where we can send the issues about IDE or ADF framework ?

Regards,

Aurimas

Aug 30, 2013, 11:13:52 AM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I Am also having problem passing bind variables to the Model tester. No idea why. Having lots of problems renaming files too within the IDE

Grant Ronald

Aug 30, 2013, 12:45:33 PM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Its not changing or being renamed, its just that what was called the business components tester can now be used to test other business service technologies...hence the name now better reflects that.

HTH
Grant
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Grant Ronald
Director of Product Management
Oracle Application Development Tools
Author: The Quick Start Guide to Fusion Development: JDeveloper and Oracle ADF.

Shay Shmeltzer

Aug 30, 2013, 1:32:03 PM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
While we are aware that this release is not bug free, from a quick test on my machine I'm not able to reproduce the problems reported here.
For example the ADF BC tester runs fine for me (loads in 12sec) and accepts bind parameters, and a quick refactor of an EO worked just fine.

We would love to fix any bugs you are running into, but in order to do this we'll need to have reproducible cases filed with Oracle Support.
This will allow us to track the issues and fix them in a timely manner.

For people who are complaining about performance, it would be good to know what specific tasks you see as problematic and how long those take on your computer (as well as your computer specs). We run performance tests for the IDE as part of our regular testing process, and our tests showed this release on-par with the previous releases. (Personally things like hot-deployment make the develop/test cycle much faster in my experience).

We would love to fix any issues, but we need exact details filled through the official Support channel - https://support.oracle.com
(An ADF based application in case you didn't know it :-) )

Jan Vervecken

Aug 30, 2013, 2:58:30 PM8/30/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, a.la...@algoritmusistemos.lt
hi Aurimas

- about "I also wonder, where we can send the issues about IDE or ADF framework ?"

One option is to create a JIRA issue at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG
(see also "How to effectively report an issue on the ADF EMG tracker"
at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/adf-methodology/O8lWUuR0FRk/oI_XhWN_hv4J )

Another option is via http://support.oracle.com .

success
Jan Vervecken

Sten Vesterli

Aug 31, 2013, 12:41:09 PM8/31/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Shay,
I understand your position, but many of us are consultants testing JDev12c on our own time. Because our day jobs do not involve 12c, we can't use our customers' CSI number to log bugs with Oracle Support.
I'm reporting the issues I find as ADF EMG Jira issues (https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG) and would recommend everybody else without a CSI number to do the same. Unfortunately, the ADF EMG Jira does not seem to allow us to upload test cases.
/Sten

Jan Vervecken

Sep 1, 2013, 12:35:40 PM9/1/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi Sten

- about "Unfortunately, the ADF EMG Jira does not seem to allow us to upload test cases."
fyi, this has been reported by Chris Muir a while ago
at https://www.java.net/forum/topic/site-help/issue-tracker-file-uploads-gonedisabled

regards
Jan Vervecken

12brink

Sep 3, 2013, 2:11:16 AM9/3/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
So it doesn't hook directly onto App modules, but on top of the data controls in stead? That's kinda cool.

Cheers
/Tonny

John Flack

Sep 12, 2013, 2:04:56 PM9/12/13
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I've resolved my problems - my bug, but ADF's error messages didn't help me much in identifying the root of the problem.  Template originally had a pageDef.  I deleted the pageDef, because there was nothing in it.  But when I used the template, I still had a binding for the pageDef that no longer existed.

Now that I know what the nullValueException in one of the binding classes means, at least I know what to look for - a problem in the bindings.  But I wish the error message had been more specific about WHAT was missing.  And Oracle Support wasn't much help.

And the missing images?  Well originally the images used by the template were in public_html/resources/images and referenced as /resources/images/myImage.png.  Worked fine in 11.1.2.3.  But in 12.1.2.0, the images in public_html can't be found when they are in an ADF Library.  You have to put them in META-INF/resources/images and reference them through EL.

So 12c and I have made up our differences and we are friends again.

nigel.cheetham

Sep 26, 2014, 7:45:36 PM9/26/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree. I installed it a couple of day's ago and my application is in worse shape now than it was before I used the new version. What I mean is that the application doesn't work anymore. I can't go back to the old version because my project has been migrated and the old version will no longer load it.

I suspect my use of JDeveloper is slightly different since I use MS SQL Server as my back-end database. This shouldn't matter - but believe me it does.

  • You can't create a ViewObject directly from a SQL statement as the wizard doesn't bind the attributes in the query to the View Criteria fields You have to manually create the attributes, which is ridiculous. Then the wizard generates spurious VIEW_ATTR field names for your attributes, even though you specified them in the wizard. The result is that it doesn't run.
  • I can test my application for a about 10 runs before it crashes and tells me that my connection cannot be cast to an Oracle connection - which it never should be.
  • You get very different results with ADF if you change your SQL Platform when building your business components. If you choose SQL Server nothing works. You have to choose SQL 92. You might as well remove the SQL Server as an option because clearly nobody has tested it against such a database.
  • I even moved my application's database to MySQL to see if that would help - but the wizard creates a bunch of bogus table relationships when it builds the business components from tables - so the components are compromised right out of the box.
  • In an ADF web application you can't drag a bounded taskflow into a template if the template uses Facelets.
All-in-all I'm very disappointed. You can't boast "productivity with choice" if you don't provide any choice! I spend 80% of my time raging against JDeveloper's bugs and 20% of my time actually coding. I know a bad carpenter blames his tools, but when the tool maker's focus is not on the needs of the developer, stability, or trying to provide something to someone who does not use Oracle as a back-end (this is conjecture, I'm hoping that oracle database users have a better experience).

Finally, my biggest beef is that, no matter what I build, I can't deploy it on a WebLogic server without buying an Oracle database license because OPSS - which is a requirement of the ADF runtime on WebLogic server, requires an Oracle database in order to run!!! You can use XE, but it's not a supported platform.

Best regards,

Nigel

Steve Muench

Sep 29, 2014, 5:30:54 AM9/29/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Nigel, can you email me off list the steps to reproduce your "ViewObject from a SQL statement" issue, ideally using a familiar table like DEPT or EMP to keep the steps simplest for our QA to attempt to reproduce? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean by the "doesn't bind the attributes in the query to the View Criteria fields. I suspect the issue is specific to working in the JDeveloper IDE with a SQLServer database connection since I just tried the ViewObject wizard with a custom SQL query in 12.1.3 and it behaved as I expected.

Thanks. With your help I'll get one of our QA engineers to try and reproduce the issue so we can log a bug and assign to an engineer to fix.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

shaminda

Oct 8, 2014, 6:46:22 AM10/8/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

ADF 12c (12.1.3.0.0) experience and  shortcomings so far:

We are carrying out R&D on ADF migration, the bespoke application is been developed on ADF 11.1.4.0. The client wants to migrate to ADF 12c.

Migration Path: ADF 11.1.1.7.0 --> ADF 11.1.2.0 --> ADF 11.1.2.4.0 --> ADF 12.1.3.0

Migration from 11g R1 to 11g R2 was flawlessness.  Migration from 11g R2 to 12c shortcomings so far,

A.      12c IDE Performance:   Poor e.g.  To compile and execute Application it takes on Avg 10mins to get the login page.

B.      Components:  <af:commandbutton> does not initiate the action listener which calls a method in a MPB e.g.  Page layout based on Template, on <af:input> and <af: commandButton>.  To demonstrate this issue we created dummy page. Page layout <h:inputText>  and <h:commandButton> no custom template embed. And the MPB method calls works.

Question is to Oracle ADF team is do we need to change any component or need include any other libraries?

Thank you,

Shaminda

www.antlk.com

sankar swaminathan

Oct 8, 2014, 10:41:57 AM10/8/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have moved to 12.1.2 a few months back (June-July 2014 I guess). Happy with it. The application migration is smooth.
There are a few things that I did not like in the new Jdev, specifically the way watch window are. One request is to provide the way to drill down to more than one watch objects at the same.

We used only Oracle DB, so can not comment on compatibility with other DB. However, no issues with the normal af components like command button and all.

Shaminda, can you please more info on the issue that you are facing ? I don't think I faced that issue with our migration.

Thanks,
Sankar

Vikram Kohli

Oct 8, 2014, 12:13:17 PM10/8/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Have seen Jdeveloper evolved from 9i to 12c. My Experience with Jdev 12c was better then earlier versions. Atleast speed was way  better.Still remember the days when I have to wait sometimes for 20 minutes to make things run in 9i and 10g. Skinning the app is now way better and developer friendly.

We have developed an application which just went to production with Jdev/ADF 12c. There were couple of issue/bugs which our development team has found. One was related to page defination when "root" was missing from application module name. Other is related to hot deployment working slow and not working properly.

We also migrated one application which we developed in Jdev 11.2.4 to 12c . Migration was smooth and we haven't faced any issue as such.

Cheers,
Vikram

Shaminda De Alwis

Oct 9, 2014, 11:40:25 AM10/9/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the speedy response.

Manage to resolve one problem; it was due to custom JavaScript on jsff template.  We had to disable the custom javascript and remove a panel group layout etc.

Still have few shortcoming s which requires attention.

Cheers,

Shaminda

Shaminda De Alwis

Rob Nocera

Dec 10, 2014, 1:47:01 PM12/10/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Sten,

We are starting to migrate some 11.1.2 ADF applications over to 12.1.3 with one of our customers now.  For the most part, it is pretty painless.  We did encounter two issues so far which may be bugs but I haven't had time to try to reproduce in a simpler use case.

On a page with a query component and a results table, if the query panel is not disclosed from the beginning, it doesn't work.  The button to disclose the search works but then none of the buttons on the component do anything.

This also happens on a page with multiple search components, if all are hidden from the first time the page is viewed, the searches do not work, if at least one is disclosed when the page first renders, they all work.

The second issue is actually in a new feature.  We have one search component with a lot of fields in it and want to take advantage of the grouping capabilities of UI Categories.  One bug in it is that the ordering of the attributes in the query component seems to order by the text value of the "Field Order" that is applied not the numeric value, so the item with a field number 10.0 comes before the item 2.0.

The other issue with grouping attributes in UI Categories is that the form panel uses the same properties for all categories.  So If it is set to show 7 items in a column. it will do that for all categories, even if one has 6 and one has 18.  It makes it not usable so much because you end up with a strange looking search box.  It should use all the available columns before starting a new row and not all the available rows before starting a new column.

All in all though, we have found the process to be straightforward and easy to do.  Of the 2 applications we have migrated so far, those are the only two issues we have found.

-Rob

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Jesus Roman

Feb 6, 2015, 7:23:08 AM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi,
This version is very bad. the IDE crash every time and i need to save my work and restart it. If i´m creating a bussines component diagram and then crashes, i´m droping controls to a view, crash it, editing an entity and other crash, the ide says "an exception occurrs and you must close the ide: options `continue`, `save and exit` or `exit`.
It´s a nightmare to use it.

Jesus

Grant Ronald

Feb 6, 2015, 8:50:48 AM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
It would seem something is fundamentally wrong with your installation.  I'd report this to Oracle Support or the OTN forums. However if you do so, you need to supply information such as full version number, OS, JDK version etc.  Also full error messages...Usually I'd ask for reproducible steps but I'd suggest that the core of the problem is not what you are doing but in the installation.
regards
Grant
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Grant Ronald, Director of Product Management
Oracle Mobility and Development Tools
Building 520, Oracle Parkway, Reading, Berkshire. RG6 1RA
+44 (0)1189 249124, +44 (0)7767 884635

Author of the Quick Start Guide to Fusion Development: JDeveloper and Oracle ADF

ORACLE Corporation UK Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales | Company Reg. No. 1782505 | Reg. office: Oracle Parkway, Thames Valley Park, Reading RG6 1RA

John Flack

Feb 6, 2015, 9:03:35 AM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
While my experience hasn't been problem-free, I would have to agree with Grant.  If you are having THAT much trouble, it is probably your installation.  Mine is stable enough to be usable, and produces good applications that we are successfully deploying to production.  I have a colleague that is having a bit more trouble - but still usable.  Sooner or later, we'll uninstall and reinstall for him, and see if we can't fix things up.

I suggest you do the same, and especially if you aren't using the version that comes with Java, DO make sure that the Java you have is a supported version.

Harshil Shah

Feb 6, 2015, 9:11:04 AM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
You can try to click continue option and see what happens. It shouldn't close the IDE after that

Regards,
Harshil
Sent from my iPhone

Jeba Jothimoni

Feb 6, 2015, 9:26:13 AM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Me too faced JDeveloper crash not only in 12c but also in 11g versions. But it’s not that often.

I use to get the warning message you described often in my old laptop (less memory and processor) with 11g versions. On my new laptop with quad core and 16Gb, with 12c version, I got only handful of times that crash warning message. Not sure if the system capacity matters for JDeveloper. Also, every time I get this warning, I always click “Continue” option J and never had any issues.

I would like to see in the documentation on what would be the ideal (or near ideal) system requirement that JDeveloper any version runs smoothly (may be with only few crashesJ). In one of the ADF TV video, SSD was recommended.

Thanks,

Jeba.

Parvez A Tunio

Feb 6, 2015, 9:26:13 AM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Same problem is with me, I am using
Jdeveloper 11.1.1.6.0

Regards,
Parvez Ahmed
Parvez Ahmed Tunio
Oracle Apps Technical Consultant,
A.F Ferguson, & Co., Chartered Accountants (PwC Pakistan)

Shay Shmeltzer

Feb 6, 2015, 12:31:17 PM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
For those facing memory issues with JDeveloper, one thing to note is that you can adjust the memory allocations used by JDeveloper.
The default settings were aimed at minimizing the amount of memory JDev uses, but if you have more powerful machines you should change those default settings and improve your overall performance.

A couple of blog entries that cover this:
http://waslleysouza.com.br/en/2014/04/increase-the-performance-of-jdeveloper-11g/
http://bexhuff.com/2012/09/jdeveloper-memory-and-performance

(These type of settings would work in 12c also).

Shay
--
Oracle
Shay Shmeltzer | Director of Product Management

Oracle Mobility and Development Tools
200 Oracle pkwy, Redwood Shores, CA, 94065, USA

Sudhir Koneru

Feb 6, 2015, 1:38:58 PM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I faced little bit of challenges with Jdeveloper 12.1.3 initially with 32 bit JDK.
After making the switch to 64 bit JDK and increasing the Xmx and Xms, JDeveloper works great. More information can be found in the below link.

Regards,
Sudhir Koneru

Nigel Cheetham

Feb 6, 2015, 4:23:23 PM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Dear Group,

Unfortunately I have to agree about the instability of the release of JDeveloper 12c. We already took it off of our PC's because of several issues I've reported earlier. Today I thought I'd take the plunge and install it on my brand new MacBook Pro. We followed the OS X installation instructions to the letter. The only difference is that I'm using JAVA JDK 1.8u31 which Jdeveloper complained about when I launched it (max version is 1.8).

I got as far as creating a new J2EE application. I added a facelets page and when I dragged an output text component onto the page the IDE crashed.

I chose to ignore the error and continue. When I tried to launch the application, when the WebLogic domain initial setup dialog window appeared, it was blank. JDeveloper froze. I left it alone for half an hour to see if it was simply preparing itself, but eventually I had to force quit.

I'm using OS X Yosemite.

Nigel

Nigel Cheetham
Mobile: 917-488-6710

Shay Shmeltzer

Feb 6, 2015, 4:28:33 PM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Nigel,

The install guide and certification matrix clearly states that you need to use JDK 7 to install and run JDeveloper.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/jdev/documentation/121300-cert-2164864.html#OperatingSystemsandJavaSE
http://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1213/jdev/install/overview.htm#OJDIG234

Use these correct versions and you shouldn't be running into the issues you mentioned.
(both versions 7 and 8 of Java can be on your computer, you just need to verify you are using the correct one to install JDev).

Shay

vts

Feb 6, 2015, 4:39:20 PM2/6/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Also be aware of the JDeveloper's design view issue in OSX https://community.oracle.com/thread/2618724

Florin Marcus

Feb 8, 2015, 4:02:27 PM2/8/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
In the last 5 months I have been helping a customer with building an ADF + BC application using Jdeveloper 12c.  It is a medium-to-large ADF application (aprox. 500 VOs, 200 TFs), upgraded from 11g and - as every time we've upgraded an application of this size - we've hit a few bumps in the process, but nothing major.

As with any upgrade, productivity is initially affected as developers need to learn a new Dev environment. Moreover, a new tool - while bringing cool new features - is arguably less stable than previous versions.  But that's all temporary and decision to upgrade soon pays off.

We've always liked to make a clear distinction between JDeveloper (the tool) and ADF(the framework). Therefore, I will have distinct comments for each:

ADF 12c Runtime looks better than ever:
- No major bugs with this release, none that I've noticed anyway.
- Consumes less memory -> therefore it scales better -> means less money on licenses.

JDeveloper 12c
- Improved Productivity: What I love the most about this version is when save your work (EOs, VOs, task flow, java classes, you name it) the changes are being picked up by Weblogic automatically, without re-runing the application. Of course this won't work 100% of times, but I can't complain when it saves me time in 8 out of 10 cases. Is fair to say that you could do the same in JDeveloper 11g Release 2, but it involved a Right-Click -> Make - trick that lot of developers weren't aware of.

But all these comes with a price: Jdeveloper 12c may be more powerful, but it 'scales' worse than previous version. And by that I mean it gets slower with large workspaces. Not that having large workspaces would be anywhere near best practice.

I have noticed performance problems especially on fragments and pages. I think Oracle went over the top with the number of "Code Assist Rules" enabled by default. Myself, I usually disable most of these rules concerning  ADF Faces, then performance gets back to normal.

Also, I like that you can test your language support from BC Tester now.

In conclusion, if someone would ask me the below questions, here is what I would reply:

Are there bugs in Jdeveloper 12c?
Yes, quite a few that I've noticed myself.

Are those bugs so critical that should affect a decision to upgrade?
No, in my opinion. In general, I think  a JDeveloper bug is far, far less important than an ADF Runtime bug. Sure, it may affect productivity, but at the end of the day, you can open the source yourself, do the chances manually. Any developer past beginner level should be able to understand and edit an ADF source file. All that matters is for the code to run properly on server.

Should I upgrade to 12c now?
Depends on how strategic your ADF system is. If the application is supposed to have a long live-span, requiring future enhancements, than Yes.
Jdeveloper 12.1.3 is stable enough - big improvement from 12.1.2. It is at the same stage as JDeveloper 11g (11.1.2.0.0) was back in June 2010.

Hope this helps,
Florin

Wilfred van der Deijl

Feb 8, 2015, 4:31:18 PM2/8/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I agree that the auditing rules need a little love and care. I love the feature and have frequently blogged about it and created an number of tools on top of JDeveloper's auditing framework.
But in 12c it seems to be one of the major causes of high CPU usage and if you look at the stack trace in the dreaded "JDeveloper needs to shutdown" dialog, most of the times it is the auditing framework running into some unexpected exception. Having the scary dialog makes you think JDev is about to crash but many times it is just due to a (temporary) invalid document in the editor that throws the auditing rules off.

It would be nice if Oracle could at least suppress the scary dialog if the exception is coming from the auditing framework. I don't see the need to shutdown and restart JDev over a minor auditing exception. It would greatly enhance the "quality" feel people get with JDev 12c

Another huge time save is to enable the feature to only run the apps for your working set in Tools > Preferences. Without that, JDev will deploy each project in your workspace that has a public-html directory as a full blown WAR when running any of these projects. We frequently have workspaces with 10+ projects in them. We typically only want to run the one we're working on but JDev will deploy all 10+ of them. This not only takes a lot of time but will also quickly run Weblogic out of memory. Setting the preference to only run the working set and then setup a working set with only the project you're working on is a real time saver.

Harshil Shah

Feb 9, 2015, 8:19:26 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My experience with 12c so far is, it is slower than both 11gR1 and R2 releases. However as Shay mentioned, we can improve its performance by increasing the memory settings.

I tried quite a good number of versions like 11.1.1.7, 11.1.2.4 , 12.1.2.0 and 12.1.3.0 for upgrading from our current version 11.1.1.4. We have currently decided to use 12.1.3.0 due to various reasons

The cleanest migration was to 11.1.1.7 with no code change .. However after upgrade , the highlight and Ctrl+c browser feature to copy data in af:table component stopped working on chrome and is a major drawback. Our users heavily use this to copy data and according to Oracle , it was a bug in 11.1.1.4 and hence fixed in the new R1 release. Also there is no ADF essentials version available for R1. We are looking at possible option of migrating from weblogic to tomcat

11.1.2.4 had own issues as it uses JSF 2.1 but jdev is quite faster than 11gR1 and allows highlight and Ctrl + c feature for af:table component. But it had one major issue on selective choice component which required major code change across all the screens in our app.

12.1.2.0 had lot of uses from both our app and jdev perspective. Didn't seem to be very stable.
12.1.3.0 seems better than 12.1.2.0. However the migration wasn't clean as we had to do some code changes to accommodate some custom functionality in our app. It supports highlight and Ctrl + c feature for af:table ( which is weird as it is a bug according to Oracle but not fixed in its latest release). No major code change except filters on table provide list of values instead of normal text filter if the input text has LOV on it and dropped as selectone choice on page . I am still not sure if it is performance impact at runtime if filter has data to select from even before search operation is performed on table data. Since ADF Essesntial version is available for 12.1.3.0 , supports highlight and Ctrl+c feature to copy data and bug fixes from both R1 and R2 merged in 12c we have decided to go with this version . How will it perform in production is thing to find out . But my only qualm so far for this version is the jdev is comparatively slower than R1 or R2 .
Hope it helps

Harshil

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

kiran pophale

Feb 9, 2015, 8:19:26 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

We have started new project using Jdev 12c(12.1.3.0.0) and my experience is good so far. I have found two issues like

1) if I add component on page then I am not able to see the added component on page in design mode but it adds the source code in file. The only way to see the added component on page is to go source code mode then switch back to design mode. This is  not consistent behavior.

2) if I set default value for primary key in entity using groovy expression to generate sequence then it set trustmode as untrusted and creates the problem while creating row. I need to correct mode as trusted then it works fine.

Hope this will get addressed in new release of jdev.

Nigel Cheetham

Feb 9, 2015, 8:19:28 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Once again, kudos to Mr. Shmeltzer,

JDeveloper is installed and behaving nicely.

We are prototyping a new application and are looking again at 12c, I'll report back if we find any major inconsistencies (also on the JDeveloper forum).

Best regards,

Nigel

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Nigel Cheetham <nigel.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Group,

I will check the matrix, redo the installation and report back.

Once again, I am being taught a lesson in just how important it is to read the documentation! You'd think I'd know by now.

Best regards,

Nigel

Chandresh Patel

Feb 9, 2015, 8:19:28 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
​We​
 have been using JDeveloper 12.1.2 for more than a year now and it has been​ working very well, in fact only complaint we have had is slow response at times for large JSF page modifications. We are using 64 bit windows 7 or 8 with at least 8gb RAM and followed recommendations from http://bexhuff.com/2012/09/jdeveloper-memory-and-performance and
​that​
has proven helpful. I can not speak to migration efforts as we have developed
​​
new application using JDeveloper 12
​. ​Obviously there are quirks with the tool like any other tool, but it is nice improvement over previous releases. I am looking forward to upgrading to 12.1.3 and using alta skin very soon.
Chandresh Patel

Nigel Cheetham

Timo Hahn

Feb 9, 2015, 4:11:35 PM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
The sequence problem is a documentation error which should be fixed aka it's now mentioned in the doc that you need to set the untrusted mode for groovy expression. Check https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-241 for more info.

Timo