Hot redeployment of ADF libraries?

Sten Vesterli

Oct 13, 2011, 1:48:29 AM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

How would you implement "hot redeployment" of ADF libraries?

The use case is a running master application making use of a number of subsystems deployed as ADF libraries - and I want to be able to simply drop a new ADF library file on the production server and have it take effect immediately with zero/very little downtime.

Best regards

Sten Vesterli

Jernej Kase

Oct 13, 2011, 4:02:06 AM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Not really answer you were looking for, but one option is to utilize
WebLogic Production Redeployment.

It works with ADF, but you have to create a custom build script to add
version information to MANIFEST.MF file to the EAR package.

At deployment, WebLogic will use the old version for connected clients
and the new version for new clients.

This covers the requirement for "zero/little downtime".

Rgs
Jernej

> --
>
> All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution
> 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
> Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link
> to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

hasim

Oct 13, 2011, 11:24:03 AM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
We have Webcenter + ADF Based application and It require restart in development and production mode after deployment.
We would appreciate any solution because we have to restart our managed server every time after deployment which is not
true for pure Java/J2EE Applications.

Thanks,
Hasim

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

Andrejus Baranovskis

Oct 13, 2011, 12:01:06 PM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hasim,

My advice would be to use hot redeployment for ADF libraries, as it is suggested in this thread.

If you are redeploying entire EAR archive with all libraries inside, in 90% of cases this will require managed server restart because of two main reasons:

1. Significant part of WLS server memory is consumed and not released properly, this will lead to server performance issues
2. Dependencies between ADF libraries are not reset correctly

Try to package your custom ADF libraries into shared WAR library and apply hot redeployment only for library itself. Without redeploying entire EAR package for WebCenter portal.

Hope this helps.

Andrejus

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

--
Oracle ACE Director

My Blog - http://andrejusb.blogspot.com/
My JDev/ADF Samples list - http://andrejusb-samples.blogspot.com/

Jean-Marc Desvaux

Oct 13, 2011, 12:25:44 PM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Sten,

That would be great to have : a way to redeploy a library and force a reload of the library on the WLS running server but for what I understand the WLS class loader will merge dependent libs and apps and load all under one loader umbrella  making it hard to have the ADF Libs class independently reloaded.

Maybe the way to search would be to investigate custom classloading to have a separate classloader for the updated libraries ... but I won't play with these unless I really really need to hot-deployed my Libraries.

About Prod redeployment, which is not always applicable if the Libraries are used by many apps as it may takes a lot of time to switch
+for info I think it is not licensed under the std alone edition of WLS but only at the Suite level... sadly.

Jean-Marc

filip.h...@contribute.be

Oct 13, 2011, 2:49:31 PM10/13/11
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hello guys,

I've tried this in the past without any success.
After making the necessary changes to the MANIFEST file, the jar's
waren't still not available to my ear application.
Only after I added a reference weblogic-application.xml file of my ear
app, the ear app saw my jar files.
But, then I was not able to redeploy my jar's without stopping my ear,
because WLS was complaining that there are running application depend
on this jar file.

For more info, this thread : https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2211443&tstart=0

I hope you find a solution.

Filip Huysmans.

Andrejus Baranovskis

Oct 13, 2011, 3:09:17 PM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Filip,

You can use wldeploy command, to redeploy shared lib and then reload main app with the same wldeploy silently.

Similar process is used to extend WebCenter Spaces with updated library.

Andrejus

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

Amr Gawish

Oct 13, 2011, 6:32:58 PM10/13/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I believe you can Use JRebel, it'll cost you a little for your enterprise application, I tested it in ADF it works pretty well with classes and page changes, still they are fixing the issues with TaskFlow(s) and PageDef(s)

It has plugin for each major Application Server, I believe you can utilize it to your need

Best Regards,
Amr Gawish
Senior Oracle Middleware Consultant

Sanjeeb

May 24, 2018, 3:18:03 PM5/24/18
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I know its a old post, but just wanted to check with you guys like similar to Libraries can we have hot deployment for applications(bundled as EAR) ?

Abhijeet pratap singh

May 25, 2018, 7:21:08 AM5/25/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
For Hot deployment, .you should deploy adf application as shared libraries using manifest file.
For more information please refer below link

Regards
Abhijeet

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (sanjeeb...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 at 10:48:29 PM UTC-7, Sten Vesterli wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Alexis Lopez

May 25, 2018, 7:21:08 AM5/25/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I know that if you change the attribute Weblogic-Application-Version in the MANIFEST.MF file, weblogic can handle the hot deployment for applications. Old users keep using the old version of the application and new users start using the new version.

Regards,

Jeba Jothimoni

May 25, 2018, 7:21:08 AM5/25/18
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Yes, using the library and application versioning in WebLogic Server. WebLogic server has the capability that when the same application/library with a new version is being deployed, it can retire the old library/application version after the current requests are processed (put it in Admin state) and start servicing the newer version. This is one way for zero downtime deployments for applications or libraries.

Thanks,

Jeba Jothimoni,

id:image001.png@01D2A172.341DAF30