SVN or GIT

luca bellini

Jun 6, 2016, 9:24:45 AM6/6/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi everybody,
a question for you, i'm using ADF jdeveloper 12c and i need a repository manager,
what is the best among GIT and SVN?

Thank you

John Flack

Jun 6, 2016, 9:28:55 AM6/6/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Moderator hat on:

I allowed this post, despite my fears that this could be a matter of personal preference and what you are used to.  What I’d like to see is a more general discussion of source code control and what it means for overall project management and teamwork.

Alexis Lopez

Jun 6, 2016, 9:55:14 AM6/6/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luca,

I've worked with both and I can tell that distributed version control systems like Git are better in terms of teamwork since each developer will have the entire repository, changes (commits) are done in their local repositories and once the task is finished, those changes can be merged to the main branch in the central repository.

Branching and tagging is really powerful in Git so you can manage different branches for different version of your application at the same time. I'm not saying you couldn't do the same with SVN, but is much simpler and powerful in Git.

I have customers that use SVN and their developers commit their changes (in SVN commits are done in the central repository) as a backup, sometimes, leaving the central repository in an inconsistent state... In Git, you can create your own branch and if you want to have a backup, upload that branch to the central repository without affecting the main branch, later you can remove that branch.

I highly recommend you to go with Git.

Regards
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Shay Shmeltzer

Jun 6, 2016, 11:37:42 AM6/6/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
From the JDeveloper team perspective, we would probably recommend going with Git for new projects.
Git is our main focus for version management at Oracle both in JDeveloper and in the Developer Cloud Service which comes with a Git repository you can use and great integration with JDeveloper 12.2.1.

Check out this demo for example:
https://blogs.oracle.com/shay/entry/agile_development_with_oracle_developer

Shay

Wilfred van der Deijl

Jun 10, 2016, 5:04:24 AM6/10/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Git as well. It took some getting used to coming from a subversion background a couple of years ago. But once you get the hang of it I love the easy working with branches in git. We changed our workflow of everyone committing on trunk in subversion to create a (short lived) branch for each feature being worked on in Git.

Web based git hosting (like github.com, bitbucket.org or self-hosted bitbucket) also have the option for pull requests which has been a great success in our team. Nobody pushed to the master (aka trunk) branch. Once you finish work on a feature in a branch you submit a pull request to have it merged to master (or other branch). This offers a great opportunity for peer review where somebody else reviews the pull request. You can even have good conversation about the pull request including commenting on the changes. This is so much better than people commiting half finished work to a subversion trunk.