Does anybody develop here with virtual computers?

Torsten Kleiber

May 12, 2016, 8:09:36 AM5/12/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi!

We have tried in the past to develop with virtual computers, but do this in the moment only when working from home via vpn.
The problem seems to be, that in the virtual farm (vm ware) the I/O is an bottleneck.
In local environments we use SSD's.

Now is the time for planning the infrastructure for the next years and the question comes on again.

Does anybody use virtual computers successfully?
If yes, which architecture you use?

Which is the best virus scanner to work with (no virus scanner is not an option)?

Are there any testapp to use for ADF performance measuring?

Kind regards
Torsten

Alejandro Tovar Lanz

May 12, 2016, 8:18:25 AM5/12/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten,

I am assuming you want to connect to a virtual computer (via Citrix for example) to do your development when working from home. Is there any reason why wouldn't you stick with a secure VPN connection?

Have you worked before developing on a remote virtual machine? How did you find the process vs having worked with a VPN connection using your own laptop?

Alejandro Tovar Lanz
____________________

       Oracle Webcenter & ADF
                Consultant

       M: +1 345-3229187
       W: http://oralution.co.uk

____________________

this is to avoid signature trimming. Please ignore.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Florin Marcus

May 12, 2016, 8:19:02 AM5/12/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten,

I do most of my work from home - I have been doing this in the past 6 years or so - and in roughly half of the cases our clients use Citrix VMs.
I can't give you much info on particular setups as I am not involved in infrastructure directly, but the current VM I use is much faster than my local machine (with SSD).

Florin

Torsten Kleiber

May 12, 2016, 9:10:07 AM5/12/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
The vm architecture of our system provider seems to have following problems:
  • The farm for the all the VM's seems to have to only one drive or another bottleneck to address the IO which is required for parallel power developers.
  • Attaching SSD's was not possible or to price intensive.
  • Another problem in the past was problems with the graphic capabilities of thin clients to access the vm's.
The secure vpn connection of our system seems to have following problems:
  • performance restrictions, eg. checkouts or access to network drives
  • protocol restrictions, maybe this are security related (we are a bank), eg. inside the vpn tunnel network I have no direct access to internet
  • performance is dependent of your internet connection bandwith, escpecially from upload bandwith
Thanks Florin, I think that access to remote vm's should work as you described, but unfortunatly it did not here.