ADF EMG XML data controller : is it possible getting xml data from database row by row through navigation controls

Mahesh Reddy

Jun 29, 2017, 9:03:24 AM6/29/17
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi,

We have requirement like XML data present in DB column (CLOB \ varchar) each row have one xml . I want to get the data by navigation controls and want to modify and update as well.

So that i am using ELdataProvider to get the data by using page flow scope with key value, at first request i am able to get the data in XML data controller but in next request data not updating in fields. can you please tell me how to refresh the data control data with updated data.
Is it possible to get navigation controllers for data base by row by row through navigation controls ? If yes could you please send me a sample application how to navigate row by row..

Below are screens, First request

After click on next

John Flack

Jun 29, 2017, 9:30:18 AM6/29/17
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I've been doing some thinking about things like CLOB columns containing XML.  And now in 12c, you can have a VARCHAR2 or CLOB column containing JSON with nice database functionality.  I haven't tried this yet, but here are my thoughts:
What if you generate ADF BC Entity and View Objects with these columns represented as String attributes?  Then you have a transient attribute that is a Map.  You write code in the EO's getter for the transient attribute to use Jackson (or some other Java library) to convert the XML/JSON attribute to elements of the Map.  The setter for the transient does the reverse - translates the Map to XML or JSON as needed.

I honestly don't think the XML data controller will help you with this.

---- Moderator Hat on -----
I've been allowing these posts because the XML Data Control was originated by ADF EMG members and is not part of the base ADF product.  If it were part of the ADF base, I would be sending this discussion to the OTN JDeveloper and ADF Forum. I also think that as a matter of Architecture, support for this sort of less structured data, and for Not Only SQL databases will be needed by ADF developers.

Florin Marcus

Jun 29, 2017, 9:36:55 AM6/29/17
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
XML Data Control was built by a couple of ADF experts for their needs of exposing web services data in ADF.
They were nice enough to share the code with the community. Now, expecting support or enhancement requests for that piece of code is unrealistic.
XML Data Control is not a framework, is a utility. If you decide to use it, you better make sure you understand how it works and you are able to change the code yourself.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Mahesh Reddy

Jun 29, 2017, 12:17:00 PM6/29/17
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Thanks for the response,

Jhon, I will try in that way also as you mentioned .

My main concern is , why data controller data is not being refreshed even after input pageflowscope value got expired or updated.. is there any way to reset the data control form fields data ? I have tried partial trigger events on particular panel ,even though no luck . Data not being refreshed with in a session. Fetching same data again from cache I guess

Jean-Marc Desvaux

Jun 29, 2017, 1:17:43 PM6/29/17
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Mahesh,

Another way maybe (need to try and see perf) would be to move the xml conversion operation in the database via views and "instead of triggers" and work with the database views in ADF.
The view will be based on either a pipeline function and/or  using JSON functions available in DB (beware size limitation in this case) to convert xml to records and "instead of triggers to do the opposite.

Jean-Marc

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com