ADF at K'Scope 2016

John Flack

Sep 2, 2015, 4:58:23 PM9/2/15
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hard to believe, but preparations for the Oracle Development Tools Users Group's (ODTUG's) annual K'Scope conference are already in full swing.  K'Scope 2016 will be at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers in the heart of downtown Chicago, IL, USA from June 26-30, 2016.

Registration for the conference is open at http://kscope16.com/registration/.  But what I'm really asking you to do is propose to speak - http://kscope16.com/content/.  We need presentations at all levels from novice to advanced.  We'd especially love to see some new presenters.  Did you figure out how to do something in ADF that wasn't in the documentation?  Have you done something useful with a third party library?  Have you tried Alta?  Are you exposing ADF BC through a web service?  Whatever you are working on, someone else may want to do it too - show them how.  If your presentation for K'Scope 2016 is accepted, you'll get a complementary admission to the conference, and great exposure for yourself and for your company.

But even if you don't want to speak - please let us know what you want to see.  What would make you say, "I've GOT to go to K'Scope."  I'm not the content chair this time, but I am on the ADF review committee.  Let me know at Jo...@smdi.com - don't want to clutter the ADF EMG too much with ODTUG stuff.

John Flack

Dec 11, 2015, 12:00:40 PM12/11/15
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
So, the speakers for KScope 2016 are beginning to get their invitations.  I was asked to assemble from this group, a presentation called:
Ten Tips from the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group

I already have a good idea of several great tips from the ADF EMG that I want to present.  I'm going to invite the original authors of some of these, if they are at KScope 2016, to present their own tips.

What have you read in this ADF EMG group forum that you think should get wider distribution in the community of ADF developers?  What has been particularly helpful to you?  Let me know at Jo...@smdi.com.

And - last advertisement for a few months, I promise: K'Scope 2016 will be at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers in the heart of downtown Chicago, IL, USA from June 26-30, 2016.  Registration for the conference is open at http://kscope16.com/registration/.

John Flack

Jun 16, 2016, 9:57:14 AM6/16/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I promised no advertisements for a few months, and I think I've kept my promise.  But we are less than two weeks away.  If you haven't already registered - you may have trouble finding a room at the Sheraton - but come anyway, Chicago has lots of hotels, and I think some overflow hotels have been arranged.  You can even register last minute at the front desk.  Then, come and support your ADF and MAF track by coming to the excellent presentations we have planned.

I was asked to assemble from this group, a presentation called:
Tips from the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group.

I already have great tips from the ADF EMG that I'm going to present.  You are still invited to suggest tips to be presented, and if you are at KScope 2016, to present your own tip.  Send me an e-mail (not a post on this list), and a few slides or a brief summary, and I'll fit you in.

What have you read in this ADF EMG group forum that you think should get wider distribution in the community of ADF developers?  What has been particularly helpful to you?  Let me know at Jo...@smdi.com.

KScope 2016 will be at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers in the heart of downtown Chicago, IL, USA from June 26-30, 2016.  Registration for the conference is open at http://kscope16.com/registration/.

grbo...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2016, 9:18:20 AM10/28/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi,
any feedback you can share from K'Scope? I couldn't attend, but heard that APEX sessions were packed full, while ADF attracted very few listeners. Not meant to be provocative, but I'm curious about the general feeling there as we're considering ADF ourselves.

Greg

John Flack

Oct 28, 2016, 9:49:18 AM10/28/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Others may want to chime in, but here's my perspective:
There were fewer ADF presentations than in years past, but attendance was up a bit. I probably went to more database sessions than ADF sessions, which shows that I am doing more database work than ADF work lately.  However, the ADF sessions that I attended were excellent, and I hope that the attendees liked my Deep Dive on Thursday, which was sourced from THIS group.

I'm sure that many of you are also doing less with ADF, and attendance didn't improve enough.  What this means for KScope 17 is that there will be no separate ADF and MAF track - these sessions will be merged into the Database track.  Those of us who have served on the ADF content committees in the past have asked that the name of the track be changed to reflect the addition of these development tools.

Shay Shmeltzer

Oct 28, 2016, 11:36:51 AM10/28/16
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
It's true that there were more people in the APEX sessions than in the ADF ones - but, this is not a new thing with the KScope conference.
KScope started as a conference for the PL/SQL developers with a focus on Oracle Forms/Reports/Designer.
While they tried, ODTUG didn't manage to attract many Java developers to the conference over the years.
Given the PL/SQL background of many ODTUG members, it was somewhat a natural thing for that audience to focus on APEX - a PL/SQL development environment. The ADF/Java audience shows up in other conferences such as Oracle OpenWorld and JavaOne.
(From surveys we did on the ADF EMG audience we know that most of the developers who are using ADF don't have Forms or PL/SQL  in their background, but rather Java development).

Rather than deciding on your next tool based on session attendance in a specific conference, it would probably make sense to look at your technical needs and the architecture that matches them the best, as well as the skill set of the developers who are going to staff that project.

Shay

Grant Ronald

Oct 28, 2016, 11:39:53 AM10/28/16
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

No doubting the interest in Apex Greg, especially at ODTUG since it has its roots firmly in the database and the database community.

What I would offer is that your choice of development tool shouldn't be based on the popularity at a specific user group.  Equally, if you went to Java One conference you'd not be getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Apex ;o)

Look at what you want to achieve, look at your planned architecture, look at your skills - if that leads you towards a database, PL/SQL then your decision is leaning more to Apex (or Forms!).  If open standards, middleware, services Java is where you want to be, then that leads you down a different path.  Other factors (such as mobile apps, or integration or BI, might also influence your decision).

regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Grant Ronald, Director of Product Management
Oracle Mobility and Development Tools
Building 520, Oracle Parkway, Reading, Berkshire. RG6 1RA
+44 (0)1189 249124, +44 (0)7767 884635

Author of the Quick Start Guide to Fusion Development: JDeveloper and Oracle ADF

ORACLE Corporation UK Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales | Company Reg. No. 1782505 | Reg. office: Oracle Parkway, Thames Valley Park, Reading RG6 1RA