Oracle ADF with HTML5 for view layer

Harshil Shah

Feb 9, 2015, 8:20:42 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Has anybody tried to use native HTML 5 tags to build pages on top of Oracle ADF model/ controller layer? For example to avoid use of ADF faces components and instead some use html 5 with May be EL expression to access the datacontrols. The intent is to use light weight GUI and more client side scripting using jquery or AngularJS

Any input is highly appreciated

Thanks,
Harshil
Sent from my iPhone

John Flack

Feb 9, 2015, 8:45:51 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
While this is probably possible, I wouldn't do it.  For one thing, ADF Faces already renders as HTML 5 with CSS in some circumstances, and I expect that the rendering engine will probably go more in that direction in the future (personal speculation - I don't work for Oracle).  But the main reason I wouldn't go that way is that you lose some of the benefits of the ADF Controller - task flows in particular.  You also lose the ease of development of dragging data controls to your page and dropping them as appropriate ADF Faces components, all configured and ready to go.

Downstairs, we have a team that develops with these Javascript based frameworks.  In some cases, they have gotten very nice user interfaces working.  And they certainly have flexibility of page design that I sometime envy.  But they work awfully hard to get it, do a LOT of hand coding, and with a larger team are not (IMHO) as productive as I am by myself.

Florin Marcus

Feb 9, 2015, 9:09:33 AM2/9/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harshil,

I remember AMIS guys had an interesting article Marrying the Worlds of ADF and HTML 5 that might get close to what you are looking for.
I've never tried it, but surely I would love hearing about such solution.
Moreover, I would love seeing an initiative from Oracle, offering  tooling support for an alternative to JSF.

Thanks,
Florin

> --
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com
>
> All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Harshil Shah

Feb 17, 2015, 9:41:17 AM2/17/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John and Florin for the info. I went over the article at high level and seems interesting. I have separate team in my aisle that use Microsoft's MVC4  framework. The framework has some very good concept of controller class that can be attached to any html page and always to access the data similar to EL expression. The thing that most impressed me about it is it allows to create lightweight native HTML 5 pages  (less gittery, elegant UI and more client side functionality, less HTML code generated). The controller class is nothing but an object with member variables that allow to access data on HTML page. Obviously it is missing the ADF goodies like the declarative page building and controller layer features but the team was able to convert like 100+ class aspx pages to MVC4 in matter of 3 months which I think is impressive  .I wish Oracle comes up with some lightweight UI but allow the use of underlying model layer for better UI experience

Thanks,
Harshil

Shay Shmeltzer

Feb 17, 2015, 5:23:13 PM2/17/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I did a quick search to see an MVC4 demo on youtube and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s0PZ1GZaKU
The guys spends 15 minutes coding, to get a table of data shown on a page - I can do this in 1 minute with JDev/ADF.
So I'm not exactly sure what productivity benefits this framework offers.

About Oracle coming out with a lightweight UI layer - one question is: with all the existing HTML5 lightweight open source frameworks out there already, why are you looking for Oracle to provide it's own framework? What would convince you to use the Oracle framework vs other HTML5 framework? What could be the Oracle differentiator for you?

Shay
--
Oracle
Shay Shmeltzer | Director of Product Management

Florin Marcus

May 3, 2015, 11:11:22 AM5/3/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Web development is radically changing nowadays with HTML 5 and storing the client state on browser,  websockets - just to name a few.
If Oracle intends to make ADF relevant on web frameworks market, then I see no option but  keeping up with the rest.
I would keep a close eye on every move Microsoft makes when it comes to web development. They  are the vendor with the largest marketshare and in terms of innovation, they move faster than most.

Thanks,
Florin