imdb and Facebook "Like" button

lipwak

May 3, 2012, 11:31:26 PM5/3/12
to adblockforchrome-discuss
I had been wondering why I wasn't seeing the Facebook "Like" button on
the IMDB.com site. I finally figured out that adblock was blocking it.
I have now set it so that it allows all ads on the IMDB site.

What I don't understand is why that is, as far as I know, the only
site that the Facebook "Like" button, and other Facebook links, are
hidden on. I have adblock blocking all other sites. So, IMDB must have
their Facebook buttons, etc set up in some way that causes adblock to
block it.

I don't need to know the code and all the html guts but I am curious
if anyone can tell me in not too technical terms, what IMDB is doing
differently than other sites.

I'd be curious too if someone can tell me how to set things up so that
only the Facebook stuff is ok'd on IMDB but not anything else, if that
s possible.

Thanks.

Michael Gundlach

May 4, 2012, 11:10:04 AM5/4/12
to adblockforch...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing their Like button has a URL that sounds like a generic ad, e.g. imdb.com/advertisements/fb.js .

You can go to AdBlock Options and turn on Advanced mode, then on IMDB.com click the AdBlock toolbar button -> Show the resource list.  That should show you why the facebook button is being blocked, and help you set up a whitelist rule for it.

Good luck!
Michael

lipwak

May 4, 2012, 11:44:41 PM5/4/12
to adblockforchrome-discuss
Thanks!

I am at the imdb page and I see the resources. There is one line and I
cannot check the box at the beginning of it.

Resource Type Matched filter
http://www.imdb.com/ page @@||www.imdb.com/$document (red x)

I don't see what I should do. I don't know how to set up a whitelist
rule either...

dreamkil...@yahoo.com

Dec 15, 2013, 2:37:41 AM12/15/13
to adblockforch...@googlegroups.com