PostgreSQL, MariaDB, JSON data

bryan p

Mar 29, 2015, 6:40:44 PM3/29/15
to activejd...@googlegroups.com
So I know that AJ supports blobs from this post, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/activejdbc-group/blob/activejdbc-group/yjQ7XlXd9Z4/GavshSz7udAJ and is a passthrough framework so should handle storing anything the DB allows.
But I want to make sure about this before I make my design decision. So, my question is if AJ also supports dynamic columns in MariaDB and/or the PostgreSQL JSON type (introduced in 9.2 I believe).

I'm currently using MariaDB in my app and want to store some unstructured JSON data I get posted to my app. Reading up on JSON and SQL, the two options (at least best options) I see here are, stick with MariaDB and use dynamic columns, or switch my DB to PostgreSQL and use their JSON data type, which looks to have much better handling of unstructured json data.  The only reason I don't want to switch is I've never used PostgreSQL so don't know it at all.  So if anyone has input on which route to take I'm open to hearing that as well, though i know that is outside the scope of this forum.

Igor Polevoy

Mar 30, 2015, 12:00:43 PM3/30/15
to activejd...@googlegroups.com
I personally have no experience with Json on PostgreSQL or Maria dynamic columns. Looks like SQL databases have some  NoSQL tricks up their sleeves.

ActiveJDBC does not support JSON type in PostgrreSQL, or dynamic columns in MariaDB, which means that you will  have to write custom code for any.
I personally would choose MariaDB, only because I'm more familiar with it. Learning a new DB might take more time. However, your experience might be different.
Not sure if this is helping you though...

bryan p

Apr 3, 2015, 12:17:17 PM4/3/15
to activejd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Igor, yes that helps. It looks like right now Postgres is the better option in this case and if you need json support.

Igor Polevoy

Apr 3, 2015, 12:21:30 PM4/3/15
to activejd...@googlegroups.com
come back and share your experiences once implemented, I'm curious.

bryan p

Apr 6, 2015, 3:10:42 PM4/6/15
to activejd...@googlegroups.com
Definitely, I'm looking into what's involved in making the switch to PostgreSQL right now but will let you know how it goes once implemented.