Re: pio build gives SSL error

Pat Ferrel

Jul 8, 2016, 3:56:26 PM7/8/16
to Gustavo Frederico, predictionio-user, Ed McCaffrey, actionml-user
ActionML released PredicitonIO 0.9.6 then 3 weeks later Salesforce released the same number forcing SSL and making it incompatible with the UR.

So ActionML released PIO 0.9.7-aml. We are on RC 2 now. This version is required with the UR, please see these instructions to upgrade: actionml.com/docs/install

BTW this forum is being discontinued so move any UR discussion to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/actionml-user

On Jul 8, 2016, at 7:53 AM, Gustavo Frederico <gustavo....@thinkwrap.com> wrote:

Prediction.io 0.9.6 + UR was working on my VM 3 weeks ago. Today I tried to run pio build and it failed with this SSL error... not sure what to do.

Gustavo

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 5:56:24 PM UTC-4, Donald Szeto wrote:
Unfortunately the HTTPS endpoints are down and we are pushing the folks who manage it to expedite it.

Meanwhile, does it block you from running build and train? It should be running on a separate thread that shouldn't block the progress. Try adding --verbose to your command if it looks like it's frozen to see if it's doing something behind the scene.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 2:51:29 PM UTC-7, Ed McCaffrey wrote:
I originally started with 0.9.7-aml via the install script, saw this error, deleted the VM and retried a second time building from source, saw this error again, and only then installed 0.9.6. I'll reinstall 0.9.7-aml and work from there, but it will have the same error.

Is there a list of the locations that pio build & pio train try to reach? If it's a certificate issue I can try importing any missing certificates, as it could just be intermediate certificates missing.

Thanks.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 5:11:47 PM UTC-4, Pat Ferrel wrote:
Doesn’t matter, there are classes in the 0.9.7-aml version that are required and not in pio 0.9.6 so you must use 0.9.7-aml until these are merged into the Apache version of PIO. Until you are using the correct PIO I can’t say what the errors are.

You are using a VM, have you followed the Vagrant install method? There are connection restrictions depending on the VM guest OS that cause problems and Vagrant seems to mitigate. Also search this forum for alder answers, which might help.

But again I wouldn’t waist time until you have the correct version of PIO or you may fix this problem and get them next, which will be missing classes.

On Jun 30, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Ed McCaffrey <e...@edmccaffrey.net> wrote:

I don't think this is related to the SSL issue on the mainline pio; as it also is present in 0.9.7-aml. This occurs when trying to build the model, not when trying to query the server. I also got the same error on pio train.

I originally installed version 0.9.7 from that link and had the exact same error, so then I did a complete deletion of my VM and installed this version. It looks like pio build is trying to access something over the network and whatever it is accessing has a certificate that is either invalid or not recognized by my server.

The error does not stop the build process; I'm able to then train (with the same error) and deploy and I get recommendations that appear to be valid, but I don't know if this could be causing any issues that I'm not experienced enough to detect yet.

Thanks for your reply.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 4:34:56 PM UTC-4, Pat Ferrel wrote:
The UR is not compatible with PredictionIO 0.9.6 see installation instructions here: actionml.com/docs/install for PredicitonIO-0.9.7-aml

We also do no use SSL, which is being made optional in the mainline pio.

On Jun 30, 2016, at 9:36 AM, Ed McCaffrey <e...@edmccaffrey.net> wrote:

Installed pio, everything looks good from pio status. Installed universal recommender, edited engine.json, submitted data, and I get an SSL error when doing pio build.

Thanks.

$ pio build
[INFO] [Console$] Using existing engine manifest JSON at /home/ed/universal/manifest.json
[INFO] [Console$] Using command '/home/ed/PredictionIO/sbt/sbt' at the current working directory to build.
[INFO] [Console$] If the path above is incorrect, this process will fail.
[INFO] [Console$] Uber JAR disabled. Making sure lib/pio-assembly-0.9.6.jar is absent.
[INFO] [Console$] Going to run: /home/ed/PredictionIO/sbt/sbt  package assemblyPackageDependency
Exception in thread "Thread-0" javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
        at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1949)
        at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:302)
        at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:296)
        at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1509)
        at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:216)
        at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:979)
        at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:914)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1062)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1375)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1403)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1387)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:559)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:185)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream0(HttpURLConnection.java:1513)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1441)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getInputStream(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:254)
        at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1045)
        at scala.io.Source$.fromURL(Source.scala:140)
        at scala.io.Source$.fromURL(Source.scala:130)
        at io.prediction.workflow.UpgradeCheckRunner.run(WorkflowUtils.scala:400)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:387)
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:292)
        at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:260)
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:324)
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:229)
        at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:124)
        at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1491)
        ... 17 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
        at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141)
        at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:126)
        at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:280)
        at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:382)
        ... 23 more