Announcing ActionBarSherlock Version 4.0

Jake Wharton

Mar 8, 2012, 5:38:44 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
This should come as no surprise to most of you here... but 4.0 is out!

Read the announcement here: http://jakewharton.com/actionbarsherlock-four-point-oh/

More information and downloads available at http://actionbarsherlock.com

Try out the sample applications on the Play Store:
- Demos: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionbarsherlock.sample.demos
- Fragments: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionbarsherlock.sample.fragments
- RoboGuice: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionbarsherlock.sample.roboguice

Support some the early adopters:
- GitHub Gaug.es: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.mobile.gauges
- SeriesGuide (beta): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.battlelancer.seriesguide.beta
- Mentions: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androiduipatterns.mentionobserver

This release comes exactly one year after version 1.0 was tagged. Happy birthday to ActionBarSherlock.

Huge thanks to all you developers who've supported the library this far.

Jake Wharton

Mar 8, 2012, 5:40:26 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
The most important part of the linked announcement:

It should be noted that some bugs still exist and may rear their heads depending on how you use the library. The library is under constant development and I will do my best to get updates and fixes out ASAP. The library is certainly more stable than not and I could not in good conscience allow anyone to develop using v3.5.x any longer. I’m hoping that the increased exposure that should come with the final release will help attract more developer attention which should aid in resolving bugs more quickly.

Also, pull requests save lives so send them!

Thanks everyone!

gnobal

Mar 8, 2012, 6:07:57 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake.

Thanks a lot for the amazing work and great support!

Just one question regarding the release:
Are the modified support lib and map plugins not required anymore? My guess is that they're still needed, but there is no link from the main website. All I can find is the RC1 jar files on the beta site.

Thanks again.

Fabien

Mar 8, 2012, 6:11:25 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jake,

Thank you for this huge library !

How can we update a 3.5.x project to 4.0 ?

Fabien

Jake Wharton

Mar 8, 2012, 6:12:10 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Support lib is part of the core library now. I'll be releasing the maps plugin tomorrow evening (hopefully). I will follow-up to this post.

---
Jake Wharton
http://about.me/jakewharton

Jake Wharton

Mar 8, 2012, 6:13:05 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Migration guide will come tomorrow.

gnobal

Mar 8, 2012, 6:17:39 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed you answered this question in other threads.

Ignore my previous message.

eyedol

Mar 8, 2012, 6:24:46 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Whoa!!!

Exciting news. Congrats!!!

Gregg Reno

Mar 8, 2012, 9:01:26 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Jake, and thank you for all your hard work on this over the past year. This is an important tool for developers who want to stay current with their UIs but still need to support a large number of previous versions of Android.

Thank you!
-Gregg

ToddManUtah

Mar 8, 2012, 11:47:17 AM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

Question:  How do we migrate from the beta.  I noticed that the plugin/support-lib is not part of the 4.0 package.  Do we still need it?  Or is simply using the base library going to get us there?

Luca Santarelli

Mar 8, 2012, 12:10:48 PM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations for the achievement!

If I can ask, however, how much work/effort is required to bring compatibility to API4-6? My most used app still has users below API7 (a whopping 12%!) and I don't like the idea of leaving them out in the cold.

Jake Wharton

Mar 8, 2012, 12:13:04 PM3/8/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
The action bar implementations are plugin based so you could theoretically create an implementation of the ActionBarSherlock abstract class that supported whatever older API levels you'd like.

I actually already started this in a branch and I will probably revisit in the couple weeks.

Message has been deleted

Tyler Howarth

Mar 11, 2012, 12:12:24 AM3/11/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com

Todd Lawson

Mar 11, 2012, 1:51:08 AM3/11/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
I've seen this.  What I'm looking at is migrating from the release candidates to the actual release.  In the RC1, we had to build 2 libraries.  I'm wondering if that is still a requirement.  Also, which jars will we need to add to the project?

Todd Lawson
Business: 801-609-8633
Email: todd.c...@gmail.com

Jake Wharton

Mar 11, 2012, 4:32:41 AM3/11/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Support-lib is merged into main library now. It also depends on the native binary support lib. Use SherlockFragmentActivity and SherlockFragment as your base classes now.

There is a 'fragments' sample application now which should make its usage pretty clear.

I'll update the beta page with some change log notes to final when I get a chance as well.

Tomáš Linhart

Jan 12, 2013, 6:18:43 PM1/12/13
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
When will be ABS 4.3 released?

I want this fix in master branch https://github.com/JakeWharton/ActionBarSherlock/pull/714 At this moment it is available only in dev and it is very annoying bug. :-(

sangram kar

Aug 3, 2013, 6:29:02 AM8/3/13
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
download error from the last few days... please fix it...