Re: Odd behavior with accumulated-persistence and disable

Matt Kaufmann

Nov 29, 2016, 10:33:13 AM11/29/16
to acl2-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, David --

[Replying here to acl2-books.]

Thanks for highlighting that. Now that the author of the arithmetic-5
books is no longer active in the ACL2 community, I hope that you or
others who are using it will feel free to improve it.

-- Matt
> [...]
>

> David Hardin
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Grant Olney Passmore <
> grant.p...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi, David --
> >
> > I believe your disabling of BUBBLE-DOWN-+-MATCH-3 is violating an
> > arithmetic-5 theory invariant ( http://www.cs.utexas.edu/
> > users/moore/acl2/v7-2/manual/index.html?topic=ACL2____THEORY-INVARIANT )
> > defined in arithmetic-5/basic-ops/collect.lisp (
> > https://github.com/acl2/acl2/blob/master/books/arithmetic-
> > 5/lib/basic-ops/collect.lisp#L566-L573 ):
> >
> > (theory-invariant
> > (if (active-runep '(:definition boil-that-dustspeck))
> > (and (active-runep '(:rewrite bubble-down-+-bubble-down))
> > (active-runep '(:rewrite bubble-down-+-match-1))
> > (active-runep '(:rewrite bubble-down-+-match-2))
> > (active-runep '(:rewrite bubble-down-+-match-3)))
> > t)
> > :error nil)
> >
> > Since it has :error nil, a warning will be printed if the theory invariant
> > is violated, but an error shouldn't be caused.
> >
> > The (hilarious) definition of boil-that-dustspeck is here:
> > https://github.com/acl2/acl2/blob/master/books/
> > arithmetic-5/lib/basic-ops/we-are-here.lisp#L17-L20
> >
> > As far as I can tell, the rune (:definition boil-that-dustspeck) is only
> > used in arithmetic-5 theory invariants, so there should be no harm for you
> > disabling it if you want to avoid seeing that specific warning.
> >
> > Grant
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 11:08 PM David Hardin <
> > david....@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been using accumulated-persistence as one normally does to speed up
> >> a proof. I like to look at the :frames-f outptut, and disable rules that
> >> are truly useless.
> >>
> >> I came along the following output from (show-accumulated-persistence
> >> :frames-f)
> >> (BTW, I'm using an ACL2 7.2-plus snapshot, (git commit hash:
> >> c94c55ad208dc5ef4fb34253dc30df46f65786ec):
> >>
> >> --------------------------------
> >> 2706 146 ( 18.53) (:REWRITE BUBBLE-DOWN-+-MATCH-3)
> >> 0 0 [useful]
> >> 2706 146 [useless]
> >> --------------------------------
> >>
> >> OK, not a lot of frames -- we're down to the tail end of the list here,
> >> but I was trying to be as lean and mean as possible, so I tried to disable
> >> it:
> >>
> >> (in-theory (disable BUBBLE-DOWN-+-MATCH-3))
> >>

> >> ACL2 responded with a very odd message:
> >>
> >> ACL2 Warning [Theory]: Theory invariant 12 failed on the theory produced
> >> by the current event. Theory invariant 12 is
> >> (IF (ACTIVE-RUNEP '(:DEFINITION BOIL-THAT-DUSTSPECK))
> >> (AND (ACTIVE-RUNEP '(:REWRITE BUBBLE-DOWN-+-BUBBLE-DOWN))
> >> (ACTIVE-RUNEP '(:REWRITE BUBBLE-DOWN-+-MATCH-1))
> >> (ACTIVE-RUNEP '(:REWRITE BUBBLE-DOWN-+-MATCH-2))
> >> (ACTIVE-RUNEP '(:REWRITE BUBBLE-DOWN-+-MATCH-3)))
> >> T).
> >>

> >> While I appreciate the Seussian reference, it doesn't help me understand
> >> what's going on here. Keeping this rule enabled doesn't hurt anything --

Keshav Kini

Dec 2, 2016, 2:47:13 PM12/2/16
to acl2-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Since, as Matt pointed out, the author of arithmetic-5 is inactive, I went ahead and changed the name of that definition from boil-that-dustspeck to arith-5-active-flag, similar to David Hardin's suggestion.  Hopefully that makes the warning message more enlightening.

Thanks,
    Keshav

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Matt Kaufmann <kauf...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
Hi, David --

[Replying here to acl2-books.]

Thanks for highlighting that.  Now that the author of the arithmetic-5
books is no longer active in the ACL2 community, I hope that you or
others who are using it will feel free to improve it.

-- Matt
> From: David Hardin <david.hardin@rockwellcollins.com>

ACL2-books help:
  To post new messages: acl2-...@googlegroups.com

Matt Kaufmann

Dec 3, 2016, 4:19:22 PM12/3/16
to acl2-...@googlegroups.com
To acl2-books (kind of related to a message I just sent to acl2-help):

In short: clean your books. Details:

I've just pushed a change to github that improves theory-invariant
warnings but changes the shape of a related record in the
implementation. Also, the pushed changes modify *acl2-exports*. For
both of those reasons, you might need to clean all of your books when
updating.

-- Matt