A question on how abyss-pe manages to find the library files

leonardo alves

May 2, 2018, 6:10:25 PM5/2/18
to ABySS
Hi there,
Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I would like to understand how Abyss look for the files whose paths I've included after "in=".
For example:
$ls temp/
test_r1.fq.gz test_r2.fq.gz
Then running:
$abyss-pe -C out j=12 name=nana k=46 in='temp/test_r1.fq.gz temp/test_r2.fq.gz'
Returns the error:
Reading `temp/test_r1.fq.gz'...
error: `temp/test_r1.fq.gz': No such file or directory
However, typing the full path returns no error and the assembly runs smootly.
$abyss-pe -C out j=12 name=nana k=46 in='/home/some_path_to/temp/test_r1.fq.gz /home/some_path_to/temp/test_r2.fq.gz'

I am running Abyss 2.0.3 in a bash shell.

Many thanks!

Ben Vandervalk

May 2, 2018, 6:40:04 PM5/2/18
to lcardos...@gmail.com, abyss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leonardo,

When using relative paths, the paths must be relative to the `out` directory (because you used `-C out` in your command).  GNU make switches to the target directory first, then runs the assembly commands.

- Ben

leonardo alves

May 3, 2018, 8:19:37 AM5/3/18
to ABySS
Hi Ben,
Think I got it. But does that mean I have to store the input files in the "out" directory when running?

Thanks

Ben Vandervalk

May 3, 2018, 11:52:28 AM5/3/18
to leonardo alves, abyss...@googlegroups.com
Leonardo,

Not at all! It just means that your relative paths have to be written as if you were in the "out" directory.  Probably that just means adding an extra "../" in front of your paths.

IMO, it is simpler and better practice just to use absolute paths.

- Ben

leonardo alves

May 3, 2018, 12:40:23 PM5/3/18
to ABySS