Abacus Freezing at 30%

Wallace Chan

Dec 4, 2013, 6:50:42 PM12/4/13
to abacus-...@googlegroups.com
When I run Abacus, I get to 'Creating protXML table' before it freezes. The error I get from the command prompt is as follows:

SEVERE: null
java.sql.SQLException: statement is not in batch mode
    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlExceptionSQL(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCPreparedStatement.executeBatch(Unknown Source)
    at abacus.hyperSQLObject.makeProtXMLTable(hyperSQLObject.java:532)
    at abacus.abacusUI.workThread.run(abacusUI.java:2862)
Caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: statement is not in batch mode
    at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
    ... 4 more

I saw another post that said clearing the options would help, but it didn't. Another post also stated to run in the command prompt, which I am doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wallace

Damian

Dec 4, 2013, 8:05:12 PM12/4/13
to abacus-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wallace,

Can you send me a the names of all the files you are trying to run through Abacus?

Thanks,
Damian

kswea...@systemsbiology.org

Dec 22, 2015, 12:41:36 PM12/22/15
to Abacus Support
Was there any resolution to this problem? I am attempting to run Abacus on iProphet results from two different search engines combined, and I got the exact same error.

kswea...@systemsbiology.org

Dec 22, 2015, 2:41:02 PM12/22/15
to Abacus Support
I believe I have found the solution, so I wanted to post it here. I have been able to reproduce the problem of the program freezing at 30% when there is not an interact.prot.xml file for each input interact.pep.xml. Likewise, I can reproduce the problem of the program freezing at 70% if the individual interact.pep.xml files are not present.

I commonly search my data separately with XTandem and Comet. I run PeptideProphet separately on each batch of files. I then combine my comet.interact.pep.xml file with my tandem.interact.pep.xml file into a single interact.iproph.pep.xml file, and then run ProteinProphet on that file. In order to run Abacus, I needed to run ProteinProphet and produce a comet.interact.prot.xml and a tandem.interact.prot.xml file.

I had to read the paper and the tutorial a couple of times to fully grasp this. In summary, here is how you need to set up your data in order to run Abacus.

Any number of <filename>.pep.xml search engine output files are input into the TPP (InteractParser-->RefreshParser-->PeptideProphetParser) and produce a single Experiment.interact.pep.xml file.
Each Experiment.interact.pep.xml must be run through ProteinProphet to produce a Experiment.interact.prot.xml file.
If there are multiple Experiment.interact.pep.xml files (for example, combining different search engines in iProphet or combining different biological replicates), then you must run Experiment-1.interact.pep.xml, Experiment-2.interact.pep.xml...Experiment-n.interact.pep.xml through ProteinProphet together and generate a combined COMBINED.interact.prot.xml.
All of the interact.pep.xml and interact.prot.xml files must be in the directory where Abacus is run.