NVT: p-smash DoS (ICMP 9 flood)

BHARAT PRAKASH INANI

Sep 28, 2015, 11:07:42 AM9/28/15
to vglug
Dear All,

I have mail server on RHEL 6. I have use OpenVAS for VA assessment and i have got a issue which is mention below with details.
High (CVSS: 7.8)
NVT: p-smash DoS (ICMP 9 flood)
Summary
It was possible to crash the remote
machine by flooding it with ICMP type 9 packets.
A cracker may use this attack to make this
host crash continuously, preventing you
from working properly.
OID of test routine: 1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.11024
Vulnerability Detection Result
Vulnerability was detected according to the Vulnerability Detection Method.
Solution
upgrade your Windows 9x operating system or change it.
Reference : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB
en-us
q216141

My issue is that why show windows instead of linux or Centos ( see red colored text).

--
Thanks and Regards,
Bharat Prakash Inani

Save this planet because we have nowhere else to go.

EARTH DAY; EVERY DAY

Please do not print emails unless it is necessary. Save Paper, Save trees !

Alok Thaker

Sep 29, 2015, 4:48:57 AM9/29/15
to VGLUG
Hi Bharat,

Do you use windows outlook express as a mail client ?

Thanks & Regards,
Alok

--
Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html before posting.

BHARAT PRAKASH INANI

Sep 29, 2015, 11:09:36 AM9/29/15
to vglug

No we are not using outlook express. We are using MS outlook or Thunderbird.

Alok Thaker

Sep 30, 2015, 2:18:31 AM9/30/15
to VGLUG
Whats the OS version you are using MS outlook on ?

Thanks & Regards,
Alok

BHARAT PRAKASH INANI

Sep 30, 2015, 10:49:49 AM9/30/15
to vglug

Windows 7 and 8.

Alok Thaker

Sep 30, 2015, 11:08:11 AM9/30/15
to VGLUG
Hi Bharat,

http://plugins.openvas.org/nasl.php?oid=11024 It mentions

According to "Paulo Ribeiro" <prrar..at..NITNET.COM.BR> on VULN-DEV,
Windows 9x cannot handle ICMP type 9 messages. This should slow down Windows 95 and crash Windows 98

One more thing is that do you have ping allowed on your external firewall device or on your linux box or ICMP forwarding on ?
Thanks & Regards,
Alok