Some questions about NAS for home

Kaushal Patel

Feb 26, 2017, 6:42:09 AM2/26/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

I want to build one NAS storage system to store my photographs, videos, books and other personal docs.

My requirements are :

1. Data should be safe if any drive losts
2. Accessible from any device like android or iphone or pc
3. It should be in budget (of course I will spend little high on disk like WD red )

I checked freenas for that. It says that rather having hardware raid, use zfs.

I am worried about data lost.
Is zfs secure if I am not using hardware raid?

If anyone already setup such system please share hardware configuration. Any suggestion welcome.

Regards
Kaushal

Nirav Modiya

Feb 27, 2017, 3:35:32 AM2/27/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Go with any entry level NAS box, it has hardware RAID with better reliability.

Netgear entry level NAS (210 series) would be your best bet.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

--
Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html before posting.

Thanks & Regards,
Nirav Modiya

Alok Thaker

Feb 27, 2017, 3:36:04 AM2/27/17
to VGLUG
freenas is also a good alternative.

Thanks & Regards,
Alok Thaker
M:-+91-9925519798
www.alokthaker.com

Saurabh Motiwala

Feb 27, 2017, 5:54:04 AM2/27/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
I will suggest you to go for Synology NAS box, you get free tools to manage you backups and replication.

Disk Station Manager 6.1 is OS with Synology and its one of the excellent OS with many free tools.

Regards,
Saurabh Motiwala

Shyamal thaker

Feb 27, 2017, 6:26:23 AM2/27/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
I think it is good go will AWS service..

Thanks
Shyamal Thaker

Kaushal Patel

Feb 27, 2017, 6:31:37 AM2/27/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Shyamal,

AWS service is good option but when we talk about tera bytes of data with indian internet speed, i think it is not good idea.

I can actually buy nas storage device but rather that I want to build one.

The question is RAID or NoRAID and the hardware.

-Kaushal

Saurabh Motiwala

Feb 27, 2017, 8:15:04 AM2/27/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
RAID is important, Which OS you are going for ??

Saurabh Motiwala

Kaushal Patel

Feb 27, 2017, 11:49:34 PM2/27/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
Saurabh

I am going to use freenas.

Saurabh Motiwala

Feb 28, 2017, 11:02:58 AM2/28/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
You can created software based RAID on it.

Best Regards,
Saurabh

VINOD KATUWA

Feb 28, 2017, 11:34:17 PM2/28/17
to vg...@googlegroups.com
I m just thinking if u want your own data to b stored safe and fail safe there are lots of option don't know y u thinking of NAS .. As I can see u want something which can b accessible from anywhere and even can have mobile app type things... man from my point of view if ur doing it by urself then it ll not come easy or will not be a easy task ... still just for you good thing your much burden on ur own head just to save ur doc, videos or files try online like cloud, skydrive, google drive, there are anormous no. Of online drive and all are too safe and with high availability...
Pls guy don't keep on popping mails we have lots of ans for it but it's a simple ans ...

Saurabh

To stop receiving emails from this group, mail to VGLUG+un...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VGLUG" group.

Thanks & Regards,
Nirav Modiya

--
[...]

Regards...