Re: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Swedish Peace keeping troops for Mali

Ibrahim Abdullah

Jun 1, 2013, 6:46:57 PM6/1/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Hope the Sweedes will behave this time around--they looted the Congo in the 60s.

========

On 5/30/13, Cornelius Hamelberg <cornelius...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Swedish Peace keeping troops for
> Mali*<http://www.thelocal.se/48232/20130530/>
>

> Of relevance: *African Union proposes an emergency military
> force*<http://www.google.co.uk/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=African+Union+proposes+an+emergency+military+force&oq=African+Union+proposes+an+emergency+military+force&gs_l=hp.12...3502.3502.0.5405.1.1.0.0.0.0.96.96.1.1.0...0.0...1c..15.psy-ab.2lSKPuehb7c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.bGE&fp=d1dc93a0ad812a1b&biw=1024&bih=593>(some
> kind of rapid reaction force. Let's hope that words will be
> translated into actions...
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to USAAfricaDialogue-
> unsub...@googlegroups.com
> ---
> "USA Africa Dialogue Series" group.
> email to usaafricadialo...@googlegroups.com.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Jun 2, 2013, 8:48:41 PM6/2/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
...and they had a whole week of race (?) riots last week.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
africahistory.net
vimeo.com/user5946750/videos
Documentaries on Africa and the African Diaspora
Jun 3, 2013, 9:56:38 AM6/3/13
to Cornelius Hamelberg, usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Correction:

The South African Jazz pianist, a musician with over seventy albums to his name,
is Abdullah Ibrahim. I love his music. He is my favorite musician.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
africahistory.net
vimeo.com/user5946750/videos
Documentaries on Africa and the African Diaspora

________________________________
Jun 3, 2013, 5:00:54 PM6/3/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, Cornelius Hamelberg, emea...@mail.ccsu.edu
Sweeden will not be proud if they repeat what they did in the Congo: LOOT!!!!!!!!

IB
=======================

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Cornelius Hamelberg <cornelius...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was only pulling the Ibrahim Abdullah's leg.

Oh Gloria! So we love both him (Abdullah Ibra-him) ? That's good news coming from you. We have several friends in common, mostly here in Stockholm. Met him for the first time at a Fasching Concert to which I took the late Jeff Cartriers ( great jazz bassist from South Africa - also known as Ishmail) who was then in a wheel chair. Jeff was a friend of Elisabeth Palme – the wife of Olof Palme...that's just a small indication of how close the anti-Apartheid movement in Sweden was to the Swedish government. The cream of the still Stockholm based South African freedom fighters, musicians, poets, ideologues, grass root workers, future ambassadors etc. were at the concert I'm talking about and we sat at the high table with some of the great ones. During the break Jeff introduced me to Abdullah Ibrahim ( whose music I had been listening to for years) at which point - on being introduced to him, I recited one of his anti-apartheid poems to him, a poem I had read in “Transition Magazine “ or maybe “Black Orpheus” at the Institute of African Studies library in Ghana, in 1970 :

“Then

as now when

finger-touched

you moved your hand

away.”

and then immediately made the fatal mistake of attributing the poem to the name under which he had created it : Dollar Brand. (He hates that name). I've met some of the great South African and African American jazz musicians. It's a tough profession....

Here he is with Johnny : Abdullah Ibrahim & Johnny Dyani : Namhanje

Another favourite : Abdullah Ibrahim - Soweto/Dollar Brand - African Herbs

So many Swedish women that I know, are in love with that. South African jazz pianist ….

Anunoby, Ogugua

Jun 4, 2013, 2:28:13 PM6/4/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com, Cornelius Hamelberg, emea...@mail.ccsu.edu
Enemies of Islam"? What is one to understand by the term? Who are these usually unidentified enemies? Is a concerned, constructive critic or commentator on an important matter of their time an enemy?
Islam is one of the world's great religions. Islams's followers share the world often times in close proximinaty with many, some of them call choose to call non-believers. It is often times forgotten that these so called non-believers' lives and livelihood are affected by the thoughts and activities of "believers". Non-belivers are therefore necessarilly stakeholders in Islam as muslims are in Christianity. They are entitled to have an abiding and enduring interest in what Islam teachs her followers to believe and think because what people think and believe help to determine how they choose to conduct themselves and act toward others. I might add too that Islam has help to shape our world for hundreds of years now and is consequently a legitimate subject of study, commentary, and criticism.
If we assume for example that an enemy is an extremist non well-wisher, is it conceivable or indeed the case that Islam may have more enemies with it than outside it at this time? Was the al qaeda founder a friend or enemy of Islam? Are Nigeria's Boko Haram members friends or enemies of Islam? Has Islam become a convenient facade employed by some determined, extremist, ideological adventurers chasing their political dreams? I am just asking?"

oa

Jun 5, 2013, 10:41:38 AM6/5/13
to Cornelius Hamelberg, usaafric...@googlegroups.com, emea...@mail.ccsu.edu

Thank you CH. I just believe that eternal damnation and salvation are matters of personal choice and must be allowed to remain so. Eternal salvation as peddled by some organized religions are best sold through gentle persuasion. Eternal salvation should never be forced on any individual or group this late in human history.  Is that not what history teaches us? All one has to do is look at what is going on in societies where

coercion and force are employed as instruments of religious conformity and conversion, all because a few organized and determined extremists and opportunists believe that their religion has enemies. If only more people everywhere will respect difference.

oa

Jun 5, 2013, 4:52:31 PM6/5/13
to Cornelius Hamelberg, usaafric...@googlegroups.com, emea...@mail.ccsu.edu

Thank you CH for your kind endorsement of a position that will make even more sense and reduce needless misery, pain, suffering, and death, if more people will appreciate and embrace it. Violence in the name of an immortal, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient real or imagined God must be the least justified,  most unnecessary, and most wasteful violence there could be in my considered opinion. If only the arrogance, ignorance, and prejudice of religious extremism and opportunism will get out of the way. We live in hope. Thank you again.

oa

Jun 5, 2013, 11:32:45 PM6/5/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Five sites on Swedish racism.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Swedish minister denies claims of racism over black woman ... <http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.guardian.co.uk%2fworld%2f2012%2fapr%2f17%2fsweden-europe-news&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.guardian.co.uk%2fworld%2f2012%2fapr%2f17%2fsweden-europe-news&ld=20130606&ap=5&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=5&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=592e4a9124eb41d4b1ca7efad01c08ac&ep=5&mid=9&hash=574DF45E8B808DFED69B3FD36510E4B4>

Sweden's minister of culture has been accused of racism after cutting

a cake depicting a naked black woman. Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth

was taking part in an ...

www.guardian.co.uk/…/2012/apr/17/sweden-europe-news<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.guardian.co.uk%2fworld%2f2012%2fapr%2f17%2fsweden-europe-news&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.guardian.co.uk%2fworld%2f2012%2fapr%2f17%2fsweden-europe-news&ld=20130606&ap=5&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=5&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=592e4a9124eb41d4b1ca7efad01c08ac&ep=5&mid=9&hash=574DF45E8B808DFED69B3FD36510E4B4>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://newint.org/features/web-exclusive/2011/05/23/sweden-racism/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sweden riots expose ugly side
of 'Nordic model'
Guardian

* Stockholm riots challenge image of happy, generous state<http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/22/us-sweden-riots-idUSBRE94L1BW20130522>
Wed, May 22 2013
* Sweden's capital hit by worst riots in years<http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/22/us-sweden-riots-idUSBRE94L0CH20130522>
Wed, May 22 2013

By Niklas Pollard and Philip O'Connor

STOCKHOLM | Thu May 23, 2013 10:21am EDT

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - The scene of Sweden's worst riots in years, Husby

is on the surface at least a typically neat suburb of

colorful playgrounds, manicured parks and low rise apartment buildings.

Conversations with residents of this immigrant neighborhood soon bring tales

of fruitless job hunts, police harassment, racial taunts and a feeling

of living at the margins that are at odds with Sweden's reputation for openness and tolerance.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://kenyastockholm.com/2011/05/22/growing-racism-against-africans-in-sweden/

This article referred to a mock slave auction in 2011 in Lund.

________________________________
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stockholm riots leave Sweden's dreams of perfect society up ... <http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

Stockholm riots leave Sweden's dreams of perfect society up in smoke A week of

disturbances in Sweden's capital has tested the Scandinavian nation's reputation for ...

www.telegraph.co.uk/…ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

________________________________

kenneth harrow

Jun 6, 2013, 9:38:05 AM6/6/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
the cake is not a valid example. it was an african artist who made a
weird cake depicting sara bartmann, and as a performance artist, emitted
groans whenever it was cut.
you can call this a weird, grotesque, unpalatable effort...but there was
no racism unless you miss all the irony in the performance and take it
literally.
sort of like chris ofili's elephant dung used for his black madonna.
the general public has always read modern art and performance on a
literal level, i.e., on the surface, missing the point and blaming the
artist. another example would be criticisms of basquiat's figures as not
representing black people in a beautiful manner....
(that still leaves four more sites!)
ken

--
kenneth w. harrow
faculty excellence advocate

Message has been deleted

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Jun 6, 2013, 5:02:08 PM6/6/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
More on Swedish racism.
GE
New York Times
Sweden’s Closet Racists

By JONAS HASSEN KHEMIRI

Published: April 20, 2013

WELCOME to my body. Make yourself at home. From now on, we share skin, spine and nervous system. Here are our legs, which always want to run when we see a police car. Here are our hands, which always clench into fists when we hear politicians talk about the need for stronger borders, more internal ID checks, faster deportation of people without papers.
And these are our fingers, which recently wrote a very public letter to Sweden’s justice minister, Beatrice Ask, after she went on the radio to defend racial profiling of passengers on Stockholm’s subway.
On March 7, the minister told a nationwide audience: “One’s experience of ‘why someone has questioned me’ can of course be very subjective,” suggesting that racially profiled subway passengers were overreacting and that their anger was irrational. Without missing a beat, she continued, “There are some who have been previously convicted and feel that they are always questioned, even though you can’t tell by looking at a person that they have committed a crime.”
It was an interesting choice of words — “previously convicted.” Because that’s exactly what we are. All of us who are guilty until proved innocent. We Swedes who do not fit the outdated blond, blue-eyed stereotype of what a true Swede should look like. We whose personal experience makes us doubt our country’s international reputation of being a paradise, with equal opportunities for everyone.
We remember the shame and the slights. ............................................................................................................................................................

Unpacking the layers of Sweden’s racist-misogynist cake
April 20, 2012 By Sokari 4 Comments
blacklooks.org

Shailja Patel writing in Pambazuka News responds to the shockingly brutalisation of African women’s bodies by the Swedish Artists Organisation – Lets be clear this action and the response by the artists in question does not stand alone. It should be studied closely in itself AND along with the growing acceptance of racism and racist action all of which point to the continuing brutalisation of African people in Europe and America [USA & Canada] and the attempt by white liberals to deflect the Black reality through the insidious myth of a post racial world.

The missing ingredient in Sweden’s racist-misogynist cake

What makes the cake episode so deeply offensive is the appropriation, by both artist and his audience, of African women’s bodies and experiences, while completely excluding real African women from the discourse. It is a pornography of violence.

TOP LAYER

The scene is Stockholm’s Museum of Modern Art, on Sunday, April 15th. The event is the celebration of World Art Day, and the 75th birthday of the Swedish Artists Organisation. Five artists have been asked to create birthday cakes for the occasion.

This is what the world will see, in photos and on video, the next morning.

On the table, a huge cake, with a smooth shiny black surface, in the form of a caricatured African female body, sans legs. Naked, splayed on its back, it is composed of crotch, belly mound, large pendulous breasts held by truncated stick arms, a row of neck rings. Where the neck rings end, a living human head rears up through a hole in the table. The head belongs to the kneeling body of a man. It is tricked out in exaggerated blackface –large white circles around the eyes, drawn-on cartoon red mouth and pointed teeth.

--
kenneth w. harrow
faculty excellence advocate
distinguished professor of english
michigan state university
department of english
619 red cedar road
room C-614 wells hall
east lansing, mi 48824
ph. 517 803 8839
har...@msu.edu

kenneth harrow

Jun 7, 2013, 1:08:03 AM6/7/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
the cake is not an example of racism, not in any simple, straightforward
understanding of the word.
it is not an example of the expropriation of women's bodies, of
racialized or african women's bodies. it matters that the artist is an
african who wants to use the abuse to which sara bartmann's body was
exposed so as to generate a performance of the outrage. it is completely
tasteless, trashy, in the way that deconstructs the comfort zones of racism.
you can retreat from art like this, choose a simple rational rejection
of racism and sexism, and ultimately challenge nothing, staying within
the comfort zones of a liberal social order.
the artist chose violation instead.
the review by patel strikes me as something that misses the point, or
rejects the point.
giuliani missed the point of ofili's black madonna as well, and tried to
shut down the museum.
finally, we don't have to accept the artist's work, in any event. but if
we want to reject it, we'd need an argument that holds water, that works
at the level that the performance does. it can be a failure. but i
disagree entirely that it conveys any racist intent when it is ironizing
racism in its performance. the reviewer doesn't get the irony, or
refuses to deal with it because it is too vulgar for her sensibilities
ken

On 6/6/13 4:02 PM, Emeagwali, Gloria (History) wrote:
> [...]
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/�ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

EUGENE NWOSU

Jun 7, 2013, 4:21:14 AM6/7/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than knowledge that is idle.” Kahlil Gibran (1883 – 1931)

With compliments: http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

Check out the “Secret behind the Secret” @ http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Jun 7, 2013, 9:04:49 PM6/7/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I recall that there were quite a few Jews abetting Hitler

during the holocaust. That does not make the holocaust any less a crime against humanity.

The fact that this chap is an African- an Afro-Swedish

who imbibed all the racist propaganda that Sweden fed him, does not

negate the racist implications of his art.

Racist propaganda masquerading as art and invoking poetic license

is no less lethal and virulent than overt racism.Come to think of it

all the racist cartoons and cartoonists of yesteryear,

from apartheid South Africa to Alabama can invoke poetic license

- I guess this would be 'artistic license.'

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
History Department
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain
CT 06050
> [...]
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/…ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

kenneth harrow

Jun 8, 2013, 12:24:10 AM6/8/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
i agree his being african doesn't mean he can't be racist. in this case,
i do not believe he is in any reasonable sense racist. i saw the
performance, heard him talk about it, read the criticisms.
there has to be some point where we can escape from the traps of racism
which imply a binding in our thinking about the ways of being free from
racism. if you'll permit me to say this, i don't think you are opening
yourself enough to imagine ways of escaping the binds. if jews abetted
hitler, that meant they were working for their own destruction; creating
a performance that can be read in more than one way, whose ambiguities
might undermine the bases for colonial racist constructions, is not the
same.
performance art often undoes the dominant symbolic order. that's how
this might be read as well.
as for masquerading as art, that is a criticism that says, my way or the
highway, not, let's see where we can go.
i don't see why you want to take a rigid reading as the only permissible
one. it might well be that we are all aiming at the same goal, but
imagine different ways to move there.
ken
> [...]
>>> www.telegraph.co.uk/�ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Jun 8, 2013, 12:08:52 PM6/8/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
'performance art often undoes the dominant symbolic order.' harrow

Agreed - and let us rejoice whenever it does that. But sometimes performance art actually does the opposite and
consolidates what it pretends or intends to challenge.

Professor Gloria Emeagwali
Prof. of History & African Studies
> [...]
>>> www.telegraph.co.uk/…ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

Anunoby, Ogugua

Jun 8, 2013, 3:48:24 PM6/8/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
There are racists and there are closet racists. Is one preferable to the other? Sweden must have some of both. A distinction must always be made between "racist citizens" and "racist country". Does one state result in the other? That there are racists in a country as there is most likely to be in every country, is not to say that a country may be properly and rightly classified as a racist country. When may an individual be considered a racist person? When should a country be considered a racist country? People everywhere tend to gravitate toward preferring their own including those who look like them or share a common culture or heritage. That is not a bad thing by itself. This preference becomes immoral, wrong, unacceptable, and I might unconscionable it seems to me, when it is the basis for unequal and unjust treatment of those considered to be different. This preference is not less so because of apparent, claimed, or perceived "justification" It may also be remembered that racism self-sustains by thriving on racial stereotypes. It feeds on itself and should always be confronted. Fact as all the above may be, one must avoid sharing the entrapping misbelief that there could be a country without racist people or that the presence of racist people, however high-up in a country makes that country a racist country. Racism like other mindsets, helps to shape individual and group thinking about other people and group, and attitude toward them. Could racism die a natural death? I am not sure. Would confronting it help to reduce it? Yes. I believe it has already and will continue to do so.

oa
> [...]
>>> .140&npp=5&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=592e4a9124eb41d4b1ca7efad01c08ac&ep=5&mid=
>>> 9&hash=574DF45E8B808DFED69B3FD36510E4B4>
>>>
>>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> http://newint.org/features/web-exclusive/2011/05/23/sweden-racism/
>>>

>>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> www.telegraph.co.uk/...ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infos
>>> pace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews
>>> %2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%
>>> 2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swe
>>> dens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app
>>> =1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.1
>>> 34.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=

kenneth harrow

Jun 8, 2013, 2:12:34 PM6/8/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
gloria
ok, on that i can agree. (alwaays glad to be in agreement, when possible)

this case was not so clear to me. i saw something on it; i then went to
the youtube where you can actually see it; then you can read the
comments on youtube, and then see the interview with the artist.
so here's the rub: the general public that viewed it on-line took it
literally, and what emerged was truly horrific stuff, as you would
expect, including the most vile racist commentary about africans.
whatever an artist intends will not necessarily inform how it is received.
do you all remember Les Maitres fous by jean rouch? it is a classical
example. he did a cinema verite film of the hauka, people from the north
who went into trance states, incorporated colonial roles, and sacrificed
a dog, ate it raw, foamed at the mouth.
it was a hauka ritual enactment. his recording was in the spirit of
anthropological filming, cinema verite style
but the public who saw it in paris drew their own inferences about
africans, and the assimilated africans in paris were devastated. rouch
never backed down, never once.
where you perform a performance art thing is part of the performance.
the bit on sara bartmann went on the net, on youtube, and was public in
a way he had not necessarily planned, and whatever his subversive
intentions, they were obviously lost on the youtube yahoos who saw it.
i don't think an artist can plead ignorance concerning the public space.
that's why i said it was complicated. maybe in this case we can say it
was doing at least two things in contrary directions, and in that regard
could be legitimately criticized for not having anticipated the
reactions. no artists want to be held accountable for their public's
reactions, but that strikes me as unethical....
ken
> [...]
>>>
>>> The scene is Stockholm�s Museum of Modern Art, on Sunday, April 15th. The event is the celebration of World Art Day, and the 75th birthday of the Swedish Artists Organisation. Five artists have been asked to create birthday cakes for the occasion.
>>>
>>> This is what the world will see, in photos and on video, the next morning.
>>>
>>> On the table, a huge cake, with a smooth shiny black surface, in the form of a caricatured African female body, sans legs. Naked, splayed on its back, it is composed of crotch, belly mound, large pendulous breasts held by truncated stick arms, a row of neck rings. Where the neck rings end, a living human head rears up through a hole in the table. The head belongs to the kneeling body of a man. It is tricked out in exaggerated blackface �large white circles around the eyes, drawn-on cartoon red mouth and pointed teeth.

Emeagwali, Gloria (History)

Jun 8, 2013, 1:15:24 PM6/8/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
"if jews abetted
hitler, that meant they were working for their own destruction."harrow

Not quite so. In this case, these cowards and unprincipled people were working with the hope
of saving themselves at all cost, in the short term. But their gains were
temporary, and as you suggest, they worked for their own destruction - but in the long

term.

I think racism thrives on the recruitmernt of cowards - especially those of the same ethnic identity as the
victimized. What better victory for a racist than to have someone from the victimized group
become a mouth piece for the cause!

> [...]
>>> www.telegraph.co.uk/…ws/worldnews/europe/sweden/...<http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=www.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f...&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2fnews%2fworldnews%2feurope%2fsweden%2f10080320%2fStockholm-riots-leave-Swedens-dreams-of-perfect-society-up-in-smoke.html&ld=20130606&ap=9&app=1&c=facemoodsv4.1095&s=facemoodsv4&coi=771&cop=main-title&euip=70.134.227.140&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=9279da057c6f450b8a12b94cc543b26c&ep=9&mid=9&hash=F891EA2EA1FA5B0333821AB4676CD1E9>

kenneth harrow

Jun 9, 2013, 9:14:18 AM6/9/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
we need to distinguish between individual racists and institutional
racism. if you want to talk about a country as racists, it is the latter
that matters since, as you point out, one can find any kind of
individuals in mostly all countries.

EUGENE NWOSU

Jun 19, 2013, 2:56:43 AM6/19/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively: http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

Cornelius Hamelberg

Jun 19, 2013, 10:01:43 AM6/19/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

RE - "Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt

She must have been speaking in and of another context – perhaps not even a civil rights context. Applying her quote to the context in which and of which we are talking – namely alleged racism over an artist’s intentions as per his representation in what has erroneously been referred to as ”the nigger cake” depicting the agony of what a female victim of various forms of clitoridectomy suffers  or what others suffer or scream on her behalf – is quite another matter.  Ayi Kwei Armah asks in one of his novels (either “Fragments” or “Why are we so blest” - he asks, What happens to the soul of a Ghanaian boy who grows up being called Mike/Michael?

The individual understanding and response to the import of that question may vary from individual to individual, but this much must be clear : if in all your miserable life, a missionary colonial education which in itself was not so spectacular  – since you were not a star pupil and you did not attend any of the best schools – if nevertheless such a missionary education has succeeded in misshaping your mind by instilling or implanting it in you that it is better to be called Michael or Abdul  - and indeed, that being Michael or Abdul is the essence of you identity - or that Kwame or Santigie is inferior nomenclature, then the question of your consent (and submitting to that system since childhood) – the question of your consent does not necessarily arise. If since childhood you have been told and have inculcated the idea that you are inferior – since your father was no engineer etc. no amount of later education is going to erase that self-perception with which you have been afflicted and you will always be seeking assurance/reassurance/ confirmation that it is not so. It’s called an inferiority complex – the other side of the coin is known as a self/compensating superiority complex which some may arrive at after undergoing some kind of hypnosis to redeem them of the original affliction  - as a result of which they may want to assume that they are superior to everybody – even though they know ( in their hearts) that they are not the most or the greatest anything. Or maybe they don’t know so?

We are to assume that in the myth about  Romulus and Remus who were brought up by wolves, they  must have thought of themselves as wolves. In a similar manner a lion cub that’s brought up by a pack of asses may go on thinking that he is an ass, until perchance one fine day he looks into a pool of stagnant water and there beholds his own reflection.

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/corneliushamelberg/

kenneth harrow

Jun 19, 2013, 11:25:34 AM6/19/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
cornelius, you are completely right. all the more in that her words might have applied to an individual--in fact to herself, the lesser cousin whom the high-up fdr married--but it becomes almost demeaning when applied to groups, especially disadvantaged groups. like reagan telling welfare mamas that their poverty was their fault, etc. this is the american dream: if you are not a millionaire, it is your fault.
and on the basis of that ideology grows a neoliberal state with no social conscience.
ken

On 6/19/13 10:01 AM, Cornelius Hamelberg wrote:

[...]

�

�

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:56:43 AM UTC+2, Eugene wrote:
�

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively: http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

�
�
�

kwame zulu shabazz

Jun 19, 2013, 12:43:15 PM6/19/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
Well, I was writing a longish rebuke of Eleanor Roosevelt. But then I saw Brother Ken's comment. So, basically, I concur with Ken. Whilst there is a kernal of truth in euro-liberal notions of truth when misapplied it leads to dubious victim blaming claims. In sum, inferiority was often brutally imposed.

kzs
On Jun 19, 2013, at 11:25 AM, kenneth harrow wrote:

[...]

Kwame Zulu Shabazz
Assistant Professor of African and African American Studies
Department of Social Sciences
203-A Coltrane Hall
Winston-Salem State Univ.
601 S. MLK Jr. Dr.
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
Phone:  336-750-8940
Email:  shab...@wssu.edu
==
"Every artist, every scientist, must decide now where he stands. He has no alternative. There is no standing above the conflict on Olympian heights. There are no impartial observers. Through the destruction, in certain countries, of the greatest of man's literary heritage, through the propagation of false ideas of racial and national superiority, the artist, the scientist, the writer is challenged. The struggle invades the formerly cloistered halls of our universities and other seats of learning. The battlefront is everywhere. There is no sheltered rear." Paul Robeson

EUGENE NWOSU

Jun 24, 2013, 3:11:52 AM6/24/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

"If we wait for the perfect answer, the world will pass us by"
 - Jack Welch

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively: http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

Access “the secret behind the secret” @ http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

EUGENE NWOSU

Jul 18, 2013, 4:29:33 PM7/18/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Raw information doesn’t solve many problems.  What we need is wisdom, because information... does not equal knowledge, and knowledge does not equal understanding, and understanding does not equal wisdom."- Nancy Koehn

EUGENE NWOSU

Jul 25, 2013, 2:48:23 PM7/25/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

When you know what you want; and you want it badly enough; you’ll find a way to get it.” Jim Rohn

EUGENE NWOSU

Jul 27, 2013, 6:27:13 AM7/27/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

It’s in every one of us to be love, if we allow it.” - Wayne Dyer

EUGENE NWOSU

Aug 25, 2013, 4:31:56 AM8/25/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“You were born to win, but to be the winner you were born to be you must plan to win and prepare to win.  Then and only then can you legitimately expect to win.”

– Zig Ziglar

Inspirational and Empowering; OPTIMAL EDGE blogs-post is now live:

 @ http://optimaledge101.blogspot.com.au/

Oyinlola Longe

Aug 25, 2013, 10:11:59 AM8/25/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Even slaves?

On 19 Jun 2013 11:26, "EUGENE NWOSU" <eugenen...@hotmail.com> wrote:

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively: http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

EUGENE NWOSU

Sep 25, 2013, 4:29:34 AM9/25/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“One does not get to the right destination no matter how far he goes in the wrong direction.”

 – Michael (Buma) Asamonye

http://optimaledge101.blogspot.com.au/

http://optimaledge.net/#/the-secret/4574222007

EUGENE NWOSU

Oct 3, 2013, 4:53:16 AM10/3/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Fill yourself with love for everyone.  See the unfolding of God in everyone you meet, including those whom you’ve been taught to reject.” – Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively:

Cornelius Hamelberg

Oct 3, 2013, 5:57:55 AM10/3/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Eugene,

We should send this Dr .Dyer to the United Nations to talk about this love or to preach  the Jesus message  of "love thine enemies" "to the congregations of the already converted at the world parliament of religions. it's the same message that Baba Muktanda taught: to see God in yourself and in each other :

In the meantime there are other serious concerns such as the prospect of Iran going nuclear

EUGENE NWOSU

Oct 13, 2013, 4:36:27 AM10/13/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“All the great teachers have left us with a similar message:  Go within, discover your invisible higher self, and know God as the love that is within you.”

 - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

EUGENE NWOSU

Nov 11, 2013, 12:31:21 AM11/11/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

"We are given one life and the decision is ours whether to wait for circumstances to make up our mind or whether to act, and in acting, to live"
 - General Omar Nelson Bradley

EUGENE NWOSU

Dec 10, 2013, 2:56:16 AM12/10/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Attitude is everything.  Our attitude and behaviour within any group, team, and amongst peers is what matters most; not title, academic qualification, position, gender, race, and tribe, tall, short, or material wealth.”

– Eugene N. Nwosu

EUGENE NWOSU

Dec 29, 2013, 3:00:32 PM12/29/13
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Nobody gets to live life backward.  Look ahead that is where your future lies.”

– Ann Landers (1918 – 2002)

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively:

EUGENE NWOSU

Feb 5, 2014, 5:18:23 PM2/5/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

"Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations"
 - George Bernard Shaw

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 3, 2014, 4:33:51 AM3/3/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it.  That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies that is why you must sing and dance, and write poems, and suffer; and understand, for all that is life.”

– Jiddu Krishnamurti (1895 – 1986)

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 5, 2014, 2:40:45 AM3/5/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.”

– Charles Kingsley (1819 – 1875)

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 6, 2014, 2:04:16 AM3/6/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“And this for comfort thou must know:  Times that are ill won’t still be so; Clouds will not ever pour down rain; Sullen day will clear again.”

– Robert Herrick (1591 – 1674)

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 9, 2014, 3:45:11 PM3/9/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

The future of our civilization is based on prudence, critical self
reflection, belief in higher values, and wisdom in matters of
ordinary, everyday life. It is not about grabbing as much as
possible, as quickly as possible
.

-- Tyler Cowen, Economist

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 11, 2014, 4:04:22 AM3/11/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“A day dawns, quite like other days; in it, a single hour comes, quite like other hours; but in that day and in that hour the chance of a lifetime faces us.”

-- Maltbie Babcock (1858-1901) American Presbyterian Minister

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 12, 2014, 11:33:55 AM3/12/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Enthusiasm is the best protection in any situation. Wholeheartedness
is contagious. Give yourself, if you wish to get others.

-- David Seabury

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 19, 2014, 3:54:02 AM3/19/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“In a community all acts of individuals and of organisations are directly and indirectly interconnected and interdependent.”

– Chester Barnard

EUGENE NWOSU

Mar 28, 2014, 1:51:09 AM3/28/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Problems are a major part of life.  Don’t whinge about why you always have problems… Get on with the solving.  Take it from someone who has been there – the solving gets easier as you go along.”

– Sara Henderson (1936 – 2005) Australian Outback Station Manager and Writer.

EUGENE NWOSU

Apr 3, 2014, 3:33:39 AM4/3/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Man becomes great exactly in the degree which he works for the welfare of his fellow man”

– Mahatma Gandhi

EUGENE NWOSU

Apr 10, 2014, 6:46:24 AM4/10/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

"One can choose to go back toward safety or forward toward growth. Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again."

- Abraham Maslow

EUGENE NWOSU

Apr 16, 2014, 3:11:55 AM4/16/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“The Successful men/women I know have always been cheerful and hopeful, and go about their business with a smile on their faces; they take all the changes and chances in this mortal life with great enthusiasm and optimism.”

- Eugene Nwosu, Author of Optimal Edge.

EUGENE NWOSU

Apr 18, 2014, 5:13:53 AM4/18/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“Compared to what we ought to be we are only half awake.  We are making use of only a small part of our physical and mental resources.  Stating the thing broadly, the human individual thus lives far within his limits.  He possesses power of various sorts which he habitually fails to use.”

– William James (1842 – 1910)

Love & Best Wishes, always; positively:

EUGENE NWOSU

Apr 19, 2014, 4:05:57 PM4/19/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Happy Easter to every one!

"The common thread of humanity that connects us all—not just Christians and Jews, but Muslims and Hindus and Sikhs—are our shared commitment to love our neighbors as we love ourselves."

—President Obama

EUGENE NWOSU

Apr 26, 2014, 5:22:21 AM4/26/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

“In the final analysis there is no solution to man's progress but the day's honest work, the day's honest decisions, the day's generous utterances and the day's good deed.”

- Clare Booth Luce

EUGENE NWOSU

May 15, 2014, 3:13:33 AM5/15/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

EUGENE NWOSU

Jul 7, 2014, 9:46:44 AM7/7/14
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

"Anything in life worth having is worth working for."

- Andrew Carnegie