Veterans Day Message

Derek Blumke

Nov 10, 2008, 10:10:21 PM11/10/08
to Student Veterans of America
Student Veterans and Supporters,

First, a Happy Birthday wish to all the Devil Dog’s out there. Since
your birth in Tun Tavern in 1775, The Marine Corps has been making
sacrifices on behalf of our nation for 233 years. From your great
contributions during the Revolutionary War and shattering German lines
in Belleau Wood, the island hopping campaigns against the Imperial
Japanese during WWII, to the Frozen Chosin, the Battle of Fallujah and
the countless unnamed battles and firefights in the mountains of
Afghanistan and streets of Iraq; you and those who served before you
have served as the broad tip of America’s sword. For that we are
proud to call you our brothers in arms and proud to serve alongside
you today. Only a few Americans choose the dangerous, but necessary,
work of fighting our Nation’s enemies. In the words of General
Conway, when our chapter in history is written, it will be of a
selfless generation of Marines who were willing to stand up and fight
for our nation; to defend those who could not defend themselves; to
thrive on the hardship and sacrifice expected of an elite warrior
class; to march to the sound of guns and live the legacy of those
Marines who have gone before. On this 233rd birthday we solute those
who are currently serving and the ones that have fallen with honor,
Happy Birthday Marines and thank you for your service to our great
nation.

SEMPER FI!!!

Tomorrow is Veterans Day. Initially founded as Armistice Day in 1919,
was dated to the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month for the
occasion of the armistice, which marked the end of fighting in World
War I. In 1954 President Dwight D. Eisenhower, at the urging of the
Veterans Service Organizations and state legislatures renamed
Armistice Day to Veterans Day. This day is meant to mark the service
our veterans have given to their great country not just in WWI and
WWII but instead all wars to which the members of our military have
served. Tomorrow is a special day, for we as veterans have a greater
understanding for what sacrifice to country means. Many of us have
sacrificed families, friends, blood and tears and for all you have
done, this great country owes you a great debt of gratitude.

Tomorrow we hope you take a little extra time out of your day to share
with your classmates and campuses what it means to be a veteran and
what it means to serve in the United States Armed Forces. Share with
them the heroic stories of your friends. Share with them the great
things our colleagues have done for our country. And finally, share
with them the pride you have for having served with the incredible
people we have had the proud honor of fighting alongside during our
time in the military.

On behalf of Student Veterans of America we humbly thank you for what
you have done for our nation while serving and what you continue to do
for our friends still in harms way and those returning from war.

Again thank you for your service and thank you for giving us the
distinct privilege of representing you to our great nation.

Derek Blumke Kevin Blanchard John T. Powers
President Vice President Executive Director