SVA Mourns Loss

Derek Blumke

Nov 2, 2008, 10:36:33 PM11/2/08
to Student Veterans of America
SVA Members and Supporters,

Today I have some sad news for our organization and for our country.
Early last month, one of the members at our Chapter at the University
of California Berkeley committed suicide. Our friends at Berkeley
have unfortunately seen first hand the reality of suicide, and our
country has suffered the loss of an individual who had served it for
eight years and could have served far longer with the degree in
political science he would have acquired in April.

The issue of suicide among veterans is one which has not taken the
headlines in our country even though the number of suicides by
veterans and service members would equal more than 15% of our total
losses from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. This issue is one,
which has gone for the most part unaddressed, and it has come to our
realization that it is on us as individuals to tackle this problem
head on.

From speaking with Jason Deitch, the President of the group at UC-
Berkeley, their friend’s suicide caught them completely off guard. We
as individuals and as an organization cannot prevent this from
happening completely, but we want to be sure our member chapters and
those who take part in them have the resources available should they
need them.

As individual groups, we need to ensure that all of our people know
they have someone to turn to if they are having problems. Just as we
had “Ranger Buddies” and “Wingmen” in the service we need to be doing
the same as student vets.

In the very near future, we will be getting some information and
resources out to help you at your campuses. But in the mean time,
should you need any additional resources or information, please feel
free to contact SVA leadership.

Finally, today an article ran in the New York Times, which featured
some of SVA’s leadership and members. This article did an excellent
job of educating the public and of letting other vets know they are
not alone: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/education/edlife/vets.html?_r=1&oref=slogin.
SVA is still fighting hard and will continue to battle for our
generation of veterans.

Thanks again for your service to your country and for your continued
service to our friends who have served and will serve.

Best regards,

-Derek

Derek Blumke
President