GI Bill Signed into Law

Derek Blumke

Jun 30, 2008, 3:36:38 PM6/30/08
to Student Veterans of America
All,

Today the leadership of our nation has signed a bill into law that
will benefit hundreds of thousands of our friends who have served or
are currently serving.

This morning, President Bush signed S.22, the “21st Century GI Bill”,
which was attached to the war funding supplemental. After nearly a
year and a half of hard work in Congress and just over six months of
Student Veterans of America’s advocacy, we have shown members of
Congress this immediate need and they have responded. They have
responded with an educational benefit which has gone unmatched since
World War II—for further info on details of the bill go to www.studentveterans.org
and www.gibill.va.gov.

The passage of this bill does not just show a thank you to our
veterans and service members, but also shows a confidence in us as
leaders. We will show their investment in our education is, as we have
said all along, an investment in our nation’s future.

The military has taught us how to lead and how to handle stressful
situations, and we must use these skills and show our country that we
once again are willing to stand up and serve. We will use this new GI
Bill to propel ourselves into positions in local, state, and federal
governments. We will become business leaders, scientists, artists, and
engineers holding the tools to a safe and prosperous future.

Again, congratulations to you all. From the leadership of SVA, thank
you for all of your hard work in getting this bill passed, and thank
you for giving us the opportunity to represent you. It is truly an
honor.

-Derek

Derek Blumke
President