Re: Climate change: challenges and experiences

pradeep mohapatra

Nov 9, 2008, 12:51:11 AM11/9/08
to ABLE, abot...@sify.com, Alay Barah, arb...@mica.ac.in, Anand Kumar, ananda...@wateraid.org, acr...@unicef.org, an...@christian-aidindia.org, Antony Gnanamuthu, Basant Mohanty, bsi...@sdtatatrust.com, Bishnupada Sethi, BP Mishra, bernhar...@dwhh.org, Bartholomew - CCF India East Zone, Basanta Kar, BalajiSingh, climatech...@googlegroups.com, c lk, cpn...@rediffmail.com, gobinda dalai, Debajit Mishra, dmoh...@lycos.com, Dipankar Dasgupta, Director, OneWorld South Asia, debjeet sarangi, depinde...@oxfamint.org.in, ernar...@yahoo.co.in, Damande...@gmail.com, NGO...@groups.preventionweb.net, eh...@oxfam.org.uk, dire...@adraindia.org, G Behera, gayatri mishra oleti, greenman biswal, Gopi....@fao.org, Gyana Das, G Padmanabhan, geetha....@oneworld.net, GWA, Shumona Goel, Himanshu Bal, heinz....@dwhh.de, KIRTI, Ashok Hans, irc...@sancharnet.in, Indira Khurana, Smruti Jena, Joke Muylwijk, Jerome D'Souza, Jackfruit Research and Design Bangalore, Kuldip Nar, Larry Roeder, lau...@bcoalliance.org, Meenakshi Batra, ma...@seedsindia.org, N.M. Prusty, narendra kumar, naimur...@oneworld.net, Prakash Nayak, os...@defindia.net, P. K. Mahapatra FCA, DISA (ICA), panigra...@gmail.com, Parimal C Bardhan, pradee...@undp.org, Pradeep Patjoshi, prabhjot, poonam...@adraindia.org, Ramakanta Mohapatra, Ravish Sharma, Rati Misra, ra...@christian-aidindia.org, Ravi Behera, richardm...@gmail.com, raj...@sambodhi.co.in, sarita barpanda, Sisir Pradhan, Shashikant Chopde, supriya.p...@gmail.com, sudeshna satpathy, saroj choudhury, sar...@redrindia.org, Sara Ahmed, Sebastian TV, subrats...@sify.com, Vik, Virinder Sharma, Veturi Chiranjeevi, Vivek Sharma, y.b...@cgiar.org, Y. Giri Rao, Asia - Dola Mohapatra, Sudhanshu Singh, gla...@careinternational.org, Asia - Dola Mohapatra, Ishapras...@wateraid.org, Spher...@googlegroups.com, Raman Kumar, chitt...@rediffmail.com, subhas mohapatra, Response Net Support, Pravat Mohapatra
 dear all,
 find interesting ,
best

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM, pradeep mohapatra <udyama....@gmail.com> wrote:
Food crisis looms over 33 nations: Report
Thirty-three countries, mainly in Africa and Asia, are experiencing
'very serious' to 'grave' food supply problems

Published on 10/15/2008 5:59:13 PM

Berlin: Thirty-three countries, mainly in Africa and Asia, are
experiencing 'very serious' to 'grave' food supply problems, two food
assistance groups have said.

Presenting the annual Global Hunger Index (GHI) for 2008, the German
food relief group Welthungerhilfe and the International Food Policy
Research Institute (IFPRI) warned against neglecting the fate of
starving people amidst the current financial crisis, reports DPA.

"Nearly one billion starving people are a scandal for humanity,"
Welthungerhilfe Head Ingeborg Schaeuble said.

In order to meet the UN Millenium Development Goals (MDGs) of reducing
the number of hungry people by one-half by the year 2015, an annual
additional spending of up to 10 billion euros (US $13.6 billion) is
necessary.

The GHI index lists 88 countries' food supply situation, with 33
countries chiefly from Asia and Africa in the lower positions. The
country with the gravest food situation is Congo.

The report cautioned that in view of the current financial crisis, it
will be very difficult to mobilise long-term investments required for
the urgently needed expansion of agriculture in developing countries.
"This is very bad news for the world's hungry," it said.

The GHI index is a compilation based on three chief criteria including
the share of undernourished in the population, the number of children
below the age of five who are underweight, and the mortality rate for
children under five.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:47 PM, pradeep mohapatra

Pradeep Mohapatra
Team leader,
UDYAMA,
HIG-283/K-5/KalingaVihar,
Patrapada post,
Bhubaneswar-751019
0674 2475656,
+91 9437110892
www.udyama.org
http://www.karmayog.org/ngo/udya/upload/231/udyama-Brochure.pdf
skype-pradeep.mohapatra

--
Pradeep Mohapatra
Team leader,
UDYAMA,
HIG-283/K-5/KalingaVihar,
Patrapada post,
Bhubaneswar-751019
0674 2475656,
+91 9437110892
www.udyama.org
http://www.karmayog.org/ngo/udya/upload/231/udyama-Brochure.pdf
skype-pradeep.mohapatra
Intro IDS Bulletin 'Poverty in a Changing Climate'.pdf