Charbroil Infrared grill on sale ????

John Douglas

Apr 30, 2017, 8:28:07 AM4/30/17
to The official Smoke Ring BBQ list, Billsk...@yahoogroups.com
Mike,

I know you have the best infrared grill, but I can't justify the cost. Anyone using or know about this one? They make three? different ones I think and I assume the quality is the difference. thick vs thin metal for instance

https://www.charbroil.com/products/gas-grills/professional-series/professional-series-2-burner-infrared-gas-grill?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cross_portfolio&utm_medium=email&utm_term=h_1&utm_content=0429

Regards,

John D

Mike Chester

Apr 30, 2017, 9:46:59 AM4/30/17
to Billsk...@yahoogroups.com, Barbecue Ring
John,

I am not familiar with this specific grill but my experience with Char Broil has been that their products work very well for awhile but they don’t last a long time. Given the relatively low price it would allow you to try this type of cooking without investing a lot. When I bought my TEC, I got a very good deal but it was still expensive. They were the only company making an IR grill then as they held the patent which has now run out. My TEC has been siting outside through hot summers and been buried in snow for over 14 years now and except for some small damage done when a flat line storm (tornado force without the swirling) picked it up, flipped it upside down, and dropped it on its lid. Even that did not dent it; it pushed the control valve in a bit and broke the glass IR filter which I replaced. The igniter failed but that seems to happen with most gas grills after a few years. Using an extended lighter to light it is not a big deal. I only put the cover on it (and on my FEC smoker) for about 2 years as it tended to hold in moisture and provide a place for wasps to build nests. They both sit naked outside since then. My Charbroil oil-less fryer has sat outside for about 5 years and has a lot of rust. The chrome mesh top is completely rusted, but it still cooks OK.
If I did not have the TEC and I was looking for an IR grill, I would probably consider the Charbroil after examining it in person if possible. Even if it only lasts 5 years, the low price makes it cost effective and it could last a lot longer, especially if you are able to shelter it between cooks. See if there are online reviews from owners who have had one for a few years. Online reviews can be iffy as they can be fake or from someone who is too easily pleased or someone who can’t be pleased, but if there are enough reviews, you can disregard the outliers and get a fair idea of its quality.

Mike
__._,_.___

Posted by: John Douglas <JohnD...@cox.net>

.

__,_._,___

Mike Chester

Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:28 AM
Subject: [Billskitchen] Charbroil Infrared grill on sale ????

Mike,

I know you have the best infrared grill, but I can't justify the cost. Anyone using or know about this one? They make three? different ones I think and I assume the quality is the difference. thick vs thin metal for instance

https://www.charbroil.com/products/gas-grills/professional-series/professional-series-2-burner-infrared-gas-grill?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cross_portfolio&utm_medium=email&utm_term=h_1&utm_content=0429

Regards,

John D

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Mike Chester" <mc...@charter.net>

.

__,_._,___

John Douglas

May 1, 2017, 9:02:45 AM5/1/17
to smoker...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Thanks for a great reply/review. I have looked at a lot of comments and it seems the biggest complaint is trying to keep it clean after cooking. And you are correct, at my age five years is probably a life time guarantee....... :)

I have a very basic gas grill that still works and I have a "high end" gas grill that had been converted to NG and since I have moved to Jana's it has not been used. It needs some work and the parts are VERY expensive.

With the basic grill I have removed one of the two top grates and I have inverted a grill grate that is right above the burner and I THINK I may have made a rube Goldberg infrared burner. I have not checked the temp, but it gets very, very hot and I have used it to sear meat after cooking sous vide. Next time I fire it up I will check the temp with an infrared therm. The funny thing is the started still works on the less expensive grill, but it was at Jana's home and not used much. I have not checked on how it works, but it does not use a battery.

john d

Mike Chester wrote:
Wanna talk trash instead of barbecue? Go to the Backporch
http://groups.google.com/group/smoke-ring-backporch
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Smoke Ring BBQ List" group.

Regards,

John D