Shivaji Savant's Trilogy of Novels: MRITYUNJAY – CHHAVA - YUGANDHAR

Manish Modi

Jul 1, 2008, 1:29:04 AM7/1/08
to ROZ EK SHER
|| namah shrivarddhamanaya nirdhutakalilatmane ||
|| salokanam trilokanam yadvidya darpanayate ||

Dear friends,
Jay Jinendra

Shivaji Savant's Trilogy of Novels
MRITYUNJAY – CHHAVA - YUGANDHAR

MRITYUNJAY (Hindi)
Landmark Marathi Novel based on Mahabharata's Karna
By Shivaji Savant
Hindi translation by Om Shivraj
First Edition 1974
Thirty-fourth Edition 2008
2008 220 x 145 mm 700 pp
Hardcover Rs. 400

CHHAVA (Hindi)
Classic Marathi Novel based on Sambhaji, son of Chhatrapati Shivaji
By Shivaji Savant
Hindi translation by Vedkumar Vedalankar
First Edition 1984
Eleventh Edition 2008
2008 220 x 145 mm 855 pp
Hardcover Rs. 450

YUGANDHAR (Hindi)
Legendary Marathi Novel based on the life of Shri Krishna
By Shivaji Savant
Hindi translation by Mrinalini Shivaji Savant
First Edition 2002
Eighth Edition 2008
2005 220 x 145 mm 936 pp
Hardcover Rs. 500

Shivaji Savant, who passed away recently, is known as one of the
finest novelists of India. Savant wrote in Marathi, but such has been
his appeal that he has been translated into Hindi, Kannada, Telugu,
Malayalam and Bengali. Hindi editions of his novels sell like hot
cakes even today!

Shivaji Savant is a novelist from the school of Munshi Premchand and
Sharatchandra Chattopadhyaya. His narrative is intense, the dialogues
terse and the pace of the story does not slacken. Savant offers
penetrating insights into some of India's most intriguing
mythological and historical characters. The flowing language and
interesting subject matter make for great reading. Savant's strength
is his knowledge of folklore, of Indian mythology and his solid
craftsmanship as a novelist.

This is why, although Shivaji Savant did not write more than three
novels and one play in his life. But what he has written is
legendary – classic.

The beauty of Savant's oeuvre is that he does not treat his
mythological characters in a conventional manner. He tries to
understand their motives and their psyche. This is what makes his
writings so fascinating to read!

His Mrityunjay was a watershed in the field of Marathi literature
that finally placed Marathi literature on to the uppermost echelons
of Indian literature, alongside Sanskrit, Bengali and Kannada
literature. In Mrityunjay, Shivaji Savant tells the story of Karna,
the bastard son of Kunti and the Sun god and the eldest Pandava. In
the Mahabharata, Karna has been reviled as a villain of the piece.
But Savant's skilful pen crafts a Karna who is the greatest hero of
them all!

If Mrityunjay was the entire Mahabharata seen from the perspective of
Karna, in Yugandhar one sees the same epic with the eyes of Krishna.
Both Mrityunjay and Yugandhar are beautifully written and complement
each other.

Chhava deals with the life of Sambhaji, Shivaji's rebellious son.
Again, Sambhaji emerges as humane character, fallible but not lacking
in valour or virtue.

All three novels are classics and deserve pride of place in not only
Indian but world literature.

For authors such as Shivaji Savant, awards are meaningless, but for
the record, he was awarded the following Literary Awards.
Sahitya Akademi Puraskar
Murtidevi Puraskar
Acarya Atre Pratishthan Puraskar

We are proud to say that all his books are available with us.

HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY
Publishers Since 1912
9 Hirabaug C P Tank
Mumbai 400004