Error using Pyscripter for winpython on win7/64

Stivie K

Aug 31, 2016, 3:29:04 PM8/31/16
to PyScripter, erich.p...@gmx.at
Tried hard and nearly everything to move from win32 to win64 system.

win32 is fine and I love it.

win63 : ErrorMsg: "Python could not be properly initialized. We must quit." :-(((

tried different versions and combinations for 64 and 32bit - also found many issues by Dr. Google, but no solutions (only use alternative IDE ..)

I don't know on which side the cause of this issue is, but you guys may have an idea or a workaround to run.

BR stivie

Andy Milne

Aug 31, 2016, 3:47:31 PM8/31/16
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com, erich.p...@gmx.at
I use 32bit stuff on my Win64 system and it all works great. There's nothing special you need to do: Install your win64 OS of choice, then install 32bit (i.e. x86) versions of Python and Pyscripter. You might want to avoid the "latest" version of python, try 2.7.10 or 3.whatever from mid-2015 should work fine.

Unless you're trying to use more than a couple of Gigabytes of RAM in your scripts, the 32bit versions will work.

Stivie K

Andy Milne

Aug 31, 2016, 4:58:21 PM8/31/16
to PyScripter, erich.p...@gmx.at
I'm still using Python 2.7 on my Windows 7 x64, too much effort to switch over to the 3.X version of Python.

BBands

Aug 31, 2016, 5:18:29 PM8/31/16
to PyScripter Group
I have two setups, one 32-bit and one 64-bit, on the same machine.

The 32-bit setup uses python 2.7.11 and pyscripter, both 32-bit versions.

The 64-bit setup uses python 3.4.3 and pyscripter, both 64-bit versions.

The is on win7 pro 64-bit. I did nothing special, just installed as normal, first the pythons and then the pyscripters.

I did use the pyscripter updates that were recently released on this list that allow the newer versions of python.

The one change I made was to edit my env path so python 2.7 was the default for command line work.

That's it,

     John

andy

Aug 31, 2016, 5:44:24 PM8/31/16
to PyScripter, erich.p...@gmx.at
Ah, you're right about winpython. So, I uninstalled regular python 2.7 and downloaded winpython2.7 and installed it to my Windows 7 x64 machine.

I reproduced your error message. Here's how I fixed it:

FYI: I installed winpython to C:\WinPython-32bit-2.7.10.3

I set this environmental variable:
SET PYTHONHOME=C:\WinPython-32bit-2.7.10.3\python-2.7.10

I then ran:
PyScripter.exe --PYTHON27 --PYTHONDLLPATH "c:\WinPython-32bit-2.7.10.3\python-2.7.10"

This got pyscripter working.

I assume this will work for you with your 3.X versions of python.

Stivie K

Aug 31, 2016, 6:22:56 PM8/31/16
to PyScripter, erich.p...@gmx.at
YES - many thx! its working now - you were right - BR Stivie