How to create a new module typ

l.ul...@hs-osnabrueck.de

Mar 5, 2016, 2:16:22 AM3/5/16
to PyScripter
I like to use PyScrypter for creating map-Files for the (UMN) MapServer.
Couldn't find the right tips neither in  desktop-help nor  online....
Has anyone a suggestion?
Thanks!

Andy Milne

Mar 8, 2016, 1:40:56 PM3/8/16
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Well, you did ask for any suggestions...

Download and run:

I used the "install complete package", and I selected port 8888.

Install python 2.7.11

Copy these files from the ms4w/Apache/cgi-bin/mapscript/python/mapscript*win32.zip to the python's site-packages:
mapscript.pyc
_mapscript.pyd
MapScript-7-py2.7.egg-info
mapscript.py

also copy them here ms4w/Apache/cgi-bin

test the server with http://localhost:8888

If that worked, open a command prompt
cd to ms4w
run setenv.bat
cd python
you should now be in the folder: ms4w/python/
run test-cgi-mapscript.py

If that gave no errors then proceed...

I can't run PyScripter anymore, version 2.6 seems broken. So, I've been using this python IDE:

Launch that IDE from that command shell above - this is important because the program will need those environmental variables.

Here's some demo code that'll draw an overlay of fire stations, the initial few lines do some diagnostics first:
Inline image 2

Here's a screenshot of the mapscripter demo, showing the tool tips:
Inline image 1

That IDE will also do source navigation etc...

Good luck!

andy

Mar 8, 2016, 2:44:52 PM3/8/16
to PyScripter
Turns out that installing Python 2.7.11 does break PyScripter. I reverted back to 2.7.10 and PyScripter works again.

The mapscript stuff I describe below works with 2.7.10, so it turns out that 2.7.11 might not be required. But, YMMV.

l.ul...@hs-osnabrueck.de

Mar 9, 2016, 4:00:10 AM3/9/16
to PyScripter
Thanks for your solution, andy!