Pyscripter for Linux

ultimatebuster

Jun 26, 2011, 1:53:55 PM6/26/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of it getting ported to Linux (ubuntu)?

Pyscripter is probably the best python IDEs out there. Really miss it when i'm on ubuntu.

Eric S. Johansson

Jun 26, 2011, 2:01:38 PM6/26/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
try running it under wine

Stueben, Michael A

Jul 1, 2011, 3:23:19 PM7/1/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had success running Pyscripter under WINE?

BBands

Jul 1, 2011, 3:56:04 PM7/1/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
I got it running some time back on SuSE 10.something...

jab

--
John Bollinger, CFA, CMT
www.BollingerBands.com

If you advance far enough, you arrive at the beginning.

BBands

Jul 1, 2011, 4:17:29 PM7/1/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
So, using xubuntu (XFCE desktop, current release):

Installed wine 1.3 via synaptic.

Downloaded python 2.72. It ran automagically and installed itself!

Downloaded the current pyscripter preview and extracted the exe,
clicked on from Thunar it and it ran near perfectly after complaining
that I hadn't installed rpyc.

Hello World!

In short, this seems to be very, very easily and work well.

I'll report back on usage when I get some time to play around, but it
looks like a slam dunk to me.

jab

BBands

Jul 1, 2011, 4:25:15 PM7/1/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Update: Installed rpyc automagically and everything seems to be
working now. More later...

Thanks for asking, this turned out to be a really nice Friday present.

jab

Colin J. Williams

Jul 2, 2011, 2:23:22 PM7/2/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com, BBands
Interesting.

Presumably the Python 2.7.2 was the Windows version.

Colin W.

Ultimatebuster

Jul 2, 2011, 2:24:32 PM7/2/11
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

Installing python on wine on Linux. O.o

BBands

Jul 2, 2011, 8:50:43 PM7/2/11
to PyScripter Group
Yes, Py 2.7.2 and rpyc were the windows packages and they get
installed in the wine directory structure as does pyscripter. I played
around with it a bit more late Friday and haven't uncovered a problem
yet. Frankly I am amazed at how easily this went. The last time I
reported on this there were some minor issues, but this time none so
far. I see no reason that you couldn't do this with any version of
Python, but 2.7.2 is all I have tried.

jab

BBands

Jul 7, 2011, 6:27:37 PM7/7/11
to PyScripter Group
PyScripter seems to be working perfectly under Wine 1.3.15 on the
11.04 Ubuntu Linux distribution with the XFCE 4.8 desktop. As of this
time no special installation procedures are needed and I am not aware
of any problems.

Best,

John

Yatharth Agarwal

Dec 11, 2012, 11:59:41 AM12/11/12
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com, PyScripter Group
It's not working for me. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Ubuntu QQ (12.10) with Wine. It keeps saying 'Python couldn't be initialized. We must quit'. Help :(

BBands

Dec 11, 2012, 2:10:33 PM12/11/12
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
This appears to be a new 12.10 Ubuntu/Unity bug. Better check with Ubuntu and or Wine help about getting proper Python install in Wine.

    John

Yatharth Agarwal

Dec 11, 2012, 10:30:31 PM12/11/12
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

Not getting it. I tried everything but it always gives that same, stupid darn error message...

BBands

Dec 12, 2012, 11:33:23 AM12/12/12
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
This is clearly a Ubuntu / Wine bug.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/bug-reporting

Please keep us posted on your progress.

     John

Benjamin Jonen

Feb 8, 2013, 12:51:09 PM2/8/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
I agree, PyScripter is really nice! Are there any intentions to provide a Linux version?

Colin J. Williams

Feb 8, 2013, 1:00:18 PM2/8/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

There have been some postings to the effect that PyScripter works well with Wine.

I haven't tried it.

Colin W.

BBands

Feb 8, 2013, 2:55:51 PM2/8/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
PyScripter currently working perfectly with wine 1.4.1 on Ubuntu 12.10

John

Colin J. Williams

Feb 8, 2013, 4:59:39 PM2/8/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
I presume that wine only works on an Intel 86 machine.

Colin W

BBands

Feb 8, 2013, 5:32:33 PM2/8/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
I think most Intel and AMD, but not PowerPC.

John

myltibrain

Feb 8, 2013, 6:01:07 PM2/8/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:53:55 PM UTC+3, ultimatebuster wrote:
Any chance of it getting ported to Linux (ubuntu)?

Pyscripter is probably the best python IDEs out there. Really miss it when i'm on ubuntu.

why use wine? this is mustirbate, use linux utilts( for exemple Dreem PIe)

Colin J. Williams

Feb 9, 2013, 8:15:18 AM2/9/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

From the BBands responses earlier, it should work on x86 machines.

My interest is with Debian Wheezy running on an ARM processor(*).  I suspect that the answer is "You're out of luck".

* In particular Raspberry Pi, Python 3 works there.

Colin W.

BBands

Feb 9, 2013, 10:07:22 AM2/9/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Then there is actually a web page just for you!

http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

Best,

John

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Colin J. Williams
<cjwill...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My interest is with Debian Wheezy running on an ARM processor...

Colin J. Williams

Feb 9, 2013, 4:55:07 PM2/9/13
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John,

Through this link you provide a wealth of information about the ARM project.  It seems that the main interest is in the use of Windows 8 on the ARM, not the use of an ARM processor under Debian.  The examples mentioned are mainly games.

This group has an extensive infrastructure to support developers make documentation available and facilitate discussion among developers and those considering participating.

There is an ARM support page.

From my scan of the site, I would like to change my guess from "You're out of luck" to "Maybe later this year".

Colin W.

,,

Koni Joshua

Jun 10, 2016, 9:07:32 AM6/10/16
to PyScripter

So I just downloaded Pyscripter but still don't know how to install it on Ubuntu. Am running on a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

BBands

Jun 10, 2016, 10:38:15 AM6/10/16
to PyScripter Group
start by installing wine

sudo apt-get install wine

download the Python for windows exe and install with wine by double clicking it

download the Pyscripter exe and install with wine by double clicking it

That should be it.

    John

BBands

Jun 10, 2016, 10:56:21 AM6/10/16
to PyScripter Group
Just tested that and it worked flawlessly here.

john@mervin:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04