Adding Additional Administrators to Postini for Google Apps

Manny Lopez

Oct 5, 2007, 10:46:29 AM10/5/07
to PostiniSuppor...@googlegroups.com
How can I add additional administrators to Postini's version of Google Apps? I would like to give another administrator the same administrative abilities I have within Postini.

Postini_MaryAnn

Oct 5, 2007, 3:01:19 PM10/5/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Hi. Good question. It's relatively easy.

You have to create a sub-organization; create a user (if not already
existing); create an admin record for this user and assign the admin
record to your sub-organization.

We just updated the Administrator's Guide to avoid confusion. The
detailed steps-by-step information can be found at
http://www.postini.com/webdocs/pgmr_admin/service_admin_add.html

Let us know if you have other questions.
Best.
Mary Ann and Ted
Postini Documentation and Training

Manny

Oct 5, 2007, 4:37:54 PM10/5/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
That worked, but I want to give a co-worker the same administrative
abilities that I have. The steps in the documentation only give the
administrators the ability to administer a sub organization. I still
would be the only administrator who can administrate all organization.
How do I give another users equal administrative rights as I do.

Postini_MaryAnn

Oct 8, 2007, 4:25:00 PM10/8/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Hi. Sorry for the delay.

We discussed amongst ourselves the pros and cons of multi top-level
admins vs. assigning sub-administrators (who can do 100% of the admin
tasks) to a sub-org. I've highlighted a of the few issues below. If
none of these suggestions help with your needs, the support team
created a process to request additional top-level admins. I've
included that process at the end.

We strongly recommend creating sub-administrators in a sub-org below
your top-level org because:

- It is easy and quick for a top admin to add, delete, and update sub-
administrators. If you have a lot of turn-over in your group, this
ability saves you lots of time. Also, as your administrative hierarchy
matures, this structure gives you the ability to adapt easily to
changes.

- You control your sub-admins. You have little control over 'peer'
admins. The only thing you can do with a top-level 'peer' admin is
delete the admin's authorization record. You can not change any
settings for a 'peer' admin. You have to make a support request for
each top-level admin to be created or modified. This works fine, but
is not as fast or as easy as having the top admin creating sub-admins.

- As the top admin, you control sub-admin privileges. You can give
them all of the read/modify settings you have in your authorization
record. They can do anything you can do. And, if you treat the sub-org
(where all of your sub admins are assigned) as your 'root' or 'home'
org, all of the admin tasks get done at this sub-org level. Then you
can reserve some strategic or sensitive privileges for the top admin.
For example, many customers want to control who has access to the
archive search and audit features.

To Request a Peer Administrator:
Administrators can not grant an authorization to another user at the
same org at which their authorization is granted ("peer
administrator"). If you need to have authorization granted at the top-
level org in your hierarchy, Postini Customer Care must do this on
your behalf. To request this, we require that an existing top level
administrator to do the following steps:

1. Call our support line from the top level administrator's
registered phone # or email our support address from the top level
administrator's registered email address and provide the name, email
address and phone number of the individual that you are requesting
this access for.

Our support line and email address are posted on the site below:

http://groups.google.com/group/PostiniSupportForGoogleApps/web/support-2

2. Postini customer care will validate the caller or email sender by
the caller ID or calling back the administrator's registered phone
number and process the request.

Note: If the top-level administrator has left the company, and you
need immediate access to the Postini Admin Console, request to reset
the old administrator's password so that you can login to the console
as the old administrator.

Let me know if this helps.
Best.
Mary Ann
Postini Documentation and Training

Sajid

Oct 11, 2007, 4:10:11 AM10/11/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Thank you guys... this discussion was really helpful.

Ron Jarrell

Oct 18, 2007, 1:01:13 PM10/18/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Is there a way to combine organizations? I have to separate google
premier domains, both have postini. Can I set up one admin user to
control both domains so I'm not having to log off and log on all the
time between the two consoles?

Postini_MaryAnn

Oct 19, 2007, 2:51:37 PM10/19/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Hi. Unfortunately the answer is no. At this time, you can not have
one
administrator across Google Apps with Postini accounts.

Our team has been developing a Multiple Domain FAQ since there have
been
several domain questions on the forum. That FAQ is about to be
published.
I've included a version in this response. Hopefully it will answer
other questions.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Best.

Mary Ann
Postini Documentation and Training

Multple Domains FAQ
--------------------------------
Will mail to domain aliases be forwarded to my primary domain?

No. Mail will be filtered using domain aliases, but Postini always
sends mail to the original address listed, even for aliases.

***
Can I add any domain I control to Policy Management and Message
Recovery?

You should only add domains you have already set up in Google Apps.
When you first set up Policy Management and Message Recovery, your
primary domain is added in Postini. If you have other domain aliases
in Google Apps, add them to Postini afterward.

***
How many domains can I use with Policy Management and Message
Recovery?

Policy Management and Message Recovery can process mail for as many
domains as you are able to add to a single Google Apps mail account.

***
I have multiple Google Apps installations. They're separate accounts,
not aliases. Can I use domains from different purchases in the same
Postini organization?

This has not been tested and is not recommended. If you attempt to
add these domains, unpredictable problems may occur. Instead, sign up
separately for these.

***
What are the steps to add another domain for filtering and archiving?

First, add the domain in Google Apps. Add domains after the first as
domain aliases.
Then, add the domain in Postini.
Last, change the MX records for the domain alias to point to Postini.
For more information on this, see <a href="http://www.postini.com/
webdocs/pgmr_admin/service_domain_alias.html">Add a Domain Alias</a>
in the Administrator's Guide.

***
Can I forward mail from another domain through Postini to Google Apps?

This is not recommended. Forwarded mail will be filtered multiple
times, and some mail may be quarantined or bounced unexpectedly.