Engineers Week

Todd Howell

Feb 23, 2015, 10:43:58 AM2/23/15
to PioneerRu...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure you all remember that today marks the first day of a weeklong celebration of engineers across the country, but just in case it slipped your mind I'm here to remind you.

For centuries engineers have gotten out of the way while cool kids played sports. We ran the scoreboard during football games. We let girls copy our homework in the hopes they'd be impressed with our thorough, regimented responses (note: they were not). Engineers have made things like cordless phones, shortwave radios and microprocessors available for all to enjoy. Maybe we can't say "Lipschitz Theorem" without giggling and snorting, but we can apply the shit out of it in nonlinear systems.

Parents, whether they know it or not should have a deep appreciation for us. No father has ever had to say "Get your hands off my daughter, Poindexter." No mother has ever worried that an engineer would break her daughter's heart by running off with a supermodel. In fact, engineers have probably spent more time reverse engineering your screwed up wifi network than talking to your daughters, mostly because eventually some sense can be made of the former. Amirite

In summary, there are myriad reasons to celebrate the engineers in your midst. How you celebrate them is up to you. Keep in mind that we're people too, but we just don't necessarily like eye contact, attention or bright lights. And we don't suffer fools gladly; that's for damn sure.

Lastly, while we are all out there celebrating those who've made our lives so much better, we should also take a moment to remember the Alamo, which was besieged on this day back in 1836. "The stars at night, are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap). Deep in the heaaart of Texas."

-JSA

--

-Todd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    On a Living Spree
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brad

Feb 23, 2015, 12:50:29 PM2/23/15
to PioneerRu...@googlegroups.com
If this were posted on FB, I'd LIKE the hell out if it.  But I guess FB's too social for engineers.

Sent from my iPhone

Theresa

Feb 23, 2015, 2:22:18 PM2/23/15
to PioneerRu...@googlegroups.com