Rocna / Manson anchors

Merrie Bergmann

Jul 31, 2017, 10:59:44 AM7/31/17
to Passport Owners
Hi,

I see some older threads about these anchors. I'm considering replacing the CQR on my PP 43 with a Rocna, and it would be great if some of you who have one of these anchors would share a photo, showing how it fits your bow roller and also what you do to secure it.  Thanks in advance!

Merrie
s/v Allora
PP 43

psherwood

Jul 31, 2017, 12:48:02 PM7/31/17
to Merrie Bergmann, Passport Owners
I have a P40, not a 43; my Rocna fits on the anchor roller as though the
boat were designed around it (see the attached photo for the general
idea). I realize the topic of anchors and anchoring is rather like
religion: everyone has his/her own point of view, and everyone's right.
That said, in the Church of Cynosure, my Rocna is a fantastic anchor,
even better than my Bruce, which I really like. My CQR is 6th on my list
of 5 effective anchors.

I secure the Rocna in the roller with a stout piece of line between the
anchor and the big cleat on my windlass. Also, a big clevis pin fits
through the anchor roller and would prevent the anchor from sliding out
should the line break.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos
[...]
Marina Seca 2_800x600.JPG

Merrie Bergmann

Jul 31, 2017, 1:09:51 PM7/31/17
to psherwood, Passport Owners
Thanks, Phil. The P43 is a P40 hull with 3 feet added aft of the cockpit -- so this is useful information.

What size Rocna do you have? I had thought the clevis pin in the roller would not clear the Rocna 33, which is what I'm looking at.

Thanks again!
Merrie
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Jul 31, 2017, 1:42:06 PM7/31/17
to Merrie Bergmann, Passport Owners, Eva and MiltonTanner
Mine's a 20 kg, which seemed to me to fall right in the sweet spot of
the Rocna sizing chart (39ft/12m, close enough, up to 22,000 lbs, close
enough). The 33 seems like huge overkill to me, but everyone's gotta do
whatever lets 'em sleep at night. What size and length anchor chain
would you use with a 33 (am wondering about weight in the bow & windlass
requirements)?

Oh -- we could start a whole new religious discussion about anchor rodes
;-) only kidding

Cheers,

Phil

Ernie Reuter

Jul 31, 2017, 1:53:26 PM7/31/17
to Eva and MiltonTanner, Merrie Bergmann, Passport Owners, psherwood
On Iemanja our P40 we also have a Rocna which we like very much. We have set our anchor on the first try 95% of the time and with 100 ft of chain out and a minimum of 5 minutes of reverse throttle at 1800 rpms to patiently set, it has dragged only once. That was due to a frontal passage which included 180 degree wind shift. Knew it was coming so had the engine on and simply picked up and reset.

We however did size up to the Rocna 25 because our boat is weighing in on the heavy side of the size chart.

A great anchor!

Ernie
SV Iemanja P40 #66

Merrie Bergmann

Sep 5, 2017, 1:34:14 PM9/5/17
to Ernie Reuter, Eva and MiltonTanner, Passport Owners, psherwood

Hi Ernie,

I finally realized the Rocna 33 was, as Phil suggested, a bit more than I needed for my PP43 (I wasn’t reading their chart correctly). I ordered the 25 from Defender, and it has just arrived. It’s gigantic!  Does it sit okay on your bow? No worries about it doing anything bad to your hull? Thanks again, and thanks to Phil for pointing me away from the 33!

Merrie

San Diego Viking

Dec 29, 2017, 4:34:33 AM12/29/17
to Passport Owners
Hi.

i have a Passport 42, but it looks like the bows, pulpit, and bow roller are the same or very similar. I just purchased a Mantus 105lb. it fits on the bow with no problems. if my windlass was closer there may have been an issue, so measure! i have tested and used the Rocna and Manson Supreme anchors. I have been using a small 35lb Manson supreme in San DIego Bay, and its held me well despite it being sized for a 30ft boat. I get galvanized its stronger than stainless, and stainless is brittle.

I wanted the larger anchor sized for storms. research on forums, books and magazines (fatty goodlander wrote a good anchoring book), pointed to having a cruising anchor sized 1-2 boat sizes larger. there was a lot of debate with regards to the new super anchors on that aspect, but it seemed most people just followed that rule when they bought their new anchor, and i didnt see anything that indicated the appropriate sized anchor was too small or dragged.

on the Mantus website the correct size cruising anchor for 42' is the 65lb, the lunch hook size was 55lb and a storm anchor was 85lbs. rocna had similar figures. i have had more experience with Rocna but the price on anchors above 65lbs was much higher when i bought. i liked that the mantus unbolts to make it easier to stow. i was really impressed by the third party videos on you tube testing the super anchors, the mantus was really impressive. along with the price that sunk it for me. the 35lb Mantus supreme will become the new stern anchor

the boat came with a 40 or 45lb stainless CQR. it dragged all the time, and had difficulty catching in San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, the Coronado Islands, and San Clemente Island. the undersized Manson supreme has worked better in the mostly mud bottom here. i have a steel danforth as well. it sticks well but doesn't really fit the bow roller well so is not convenient to use as my primary.

V/R

Robert

San Diego Viking

Dec 30, 2017, 12:12:01 AM12/30/17
to Passport Owners

San Diego Viking

Dec 30, 2017, 12:27:01 AM12/30/17
to Passport Owners

David Pawley

Feb 15, 2018, 1:28:31 AM2/15/18
to Passport Owners
Am also considering change, however I want to keep my options open for a future sprit to take a code zero, and the hoop of a Rocna or Mantus, may get in the way. For this reason am considering a Rocna Vulcan.  Your thoughts on this is welcome. My Passport 41 set up may be non-standard heres a image.
Thanks
David,
s/v Sierra,
Fraser Is, Queensland,Au.
P1010150.JPG

Matthew Davidson

Feb 16, 2018, 12:08:40 PM2/16/18
to Passport Owners
I just fit the 55 lb Spade on to our P40... wow! I really like the shank on this anchor! it has a sickle curvature which make deployment and retraction sweet. Also jams into the 2nd stay really nicely. I like this anchor fit on our roller. The other thing I really like is the strength of the shank is massive compared to the Mantis. This spade is going to be our #1 anchor. Mantis goes below deck.
Matthew - Wildflower, Seattle

Anthony Burke

Feb 21, 2018, 4:32:31 AM2/21/18
to Passport Owners
Am new on a passport 51 and have replaced our 40kg cqr due to it not holding. The 57kg mantus has made a huge difference. It was a close fit with its big role bar and it's not self launching but I love the peace of mind it brings.

Matthew Davidson

Feb 21, 2018, 3:12:06 PM2/21/18
to Anthony Burke, Passport Owners
Anthony
This is our Spade on our P40.

I really like this design.
The entire unit is heavy galvanizes steel. Shank is formed out of deep channel that is pressed together on the open-end and welded back to a solid shackle hole. It's a super strong trapezoid shape, resistant to strong side loads which gives me great confidence it will not bend when boat swings & resets. There is an awesome sickle-like arch to the shank which makes deployment and retraction super clean. It nearly falls out after an initial kick start. The tip of the spade has a massive hollow triangular wedge filled solid with lead making the tip weight double that of our old Bruce. It really digs in strong and fast. The shank is fitted at an angle so there is no load on the locking bolt when deployed and its removable. I also like that there is only 1 high tensile bolt with double nylocks. When disassembled it stows in a smaller space than a mantus and it's not comprised of many parts... just the Spade + Shank and 1 Bolt. Very well engineered.

Ours is a S140- For boats up to 65 feet, weighing less than 44,000 lbs

Making this our primary and getting a 2nd unit for stowing below deck... selling our 66lb Bruce. There's just no good place to store it on deck since we only have 1 roller!

Matthew A Davidson - C: 206-660-1311
SV Wildflower
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
IMG_1397.jpg