P51 Main

Steve Jones

Apr 29, 2018, 10:10:24 AM4/29/18
to Passport Owners
Fellow passport owners,  CasaMar is in the market for a main sail to use in our boom furler.
 Leach 60, luff 54, foot 21.

Please let me know of any suggestions.  We are based in Mazatlán Mexico.

CasaMar
P51
Steve's IPad

On Apr 28, 2018, at 21:49, David Hilliar <d.j.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks John
If I buy that unit her in New Zealand price is over twice US price, will check on purchase sites in your country.
David

On Saturday, 28 April 2018 11:11:31 UTC+12, David Hilliar wrote:
Hi
I need to replace the Genoa Cars on my Passport 42 Ace, I am not sure of the loading and currently have 2 different cars but unable to read model numbers other that they are Lewmar.
Track is 1 1/4 inch or 32mm.
Thanks
David
SV Ace
Passport 42

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

robhen...@hotmail.com

Apr 29, 2018, 1:58:49 PM4/29/18
to Passport Owners
Talk to Rick to see who the local sailmaker is in your area. He was located in Marina Mazatlán circa 2008, when China Doll was last in that part of Mexico.

I don’t have any experience with in-boom systems other than sailing with one on the P45 KIRA (Herb original owner in sailing to HMB with the Passport OA group for John B’s annual HMB event...) KIRA was in COSTA BAJA in La Paz, was owned then by another person from Wyoming or Montana —cannot remember his name but John W had met him too.

Herb had spec’d the boat to be built in 2001(?) —new— with the same system that Mark had placed on Lisa Marie, and in-fact, Mark had seen KIRA with the in-boom system. If I remember when sailing KIRA, Herb had a nice UK in-boom mainsail. [If cost is not an issue...] It work quite well... When we redid the mast and boom system on China Doll in 2014, if I were not too conservative, I would have gone with in-boom, but opted for a V-Boom system which allowed me to use our existing mainsail (new from 2006 Ullman Sails San Diego).

Local sailmakers may be limited in Mazatlán but there may be a better choice of a sail loft in Puerto Vallarta as there’s both North Sail and Ullman Sail lofts located in PV. Also try to locate “Mike” sail loft in La Cruz (http://www.villaamordelmar.com/sail-maker-mike-loving-la-cruz/ and http://puertovallarta.ullmansails.com/sail-repairs/)

I was unable to ping any sailmakers in Mazatlán, so locate Rick (just ask anyone for Rick near the marina or El Cid’s) —if he’s still in the area— to find someone local, otherwise sail on down to PV, or drive if that’s an option, or simply contact one of the PV / La Cruz de Huanacaxtle shops. They might come up to you or set you up —convince you— to come (sail) on down to Banderas Bay.

HTH,

-Rob Hendershot
China Doll P51 #2
Solomons Harbour, Chesapeake Bay MD