Hauling boat with forestay disconnected?

Chris - Pelican

Oct 23, 2015, 4:46:58 PM10/23/15
to Passport Owners
Hi All -

Hauling Pelican (our P40) for the season tomorrow. Ugh.

The lift is a bit short in length and they want me to disconnect my furler and forestay for the haul so we clear the forward brace. We're keel stepped, but it still makes me a bit nervous with the swinging that occurs while they drive the lift to our spot. Obviously, if I connect a halyard in place of the forestay we'll have the same problem with not being able to fit in the lift.

Any thoughts on whether I'll damage Pelican if I do this? I'm thinking there will be significant stress on the through deck/cabintop/mast boot area, and I don't want the foot to kick forward.

Would love your input as to whether I'm worrying too much.

Thanks!

Chris

Michael Moradzadeh

Oct 23, 2015, 4:54:55 PM10/23/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
The lowers are remarkably effective at keeping the mast up.  I lost my forestay 600 miles off oahu and survived it.  The keel-stepped mast should do even better.

I'd be comfortable letting them do this.

If very anxious about it, take a line from the top of the pole track and tie it tight.  Or take the main halyard and tie it to a point not all the way forward, if you have one.

 Another option that I have seen or done is to take off the BACKSTAY and leave the main halyard attached to the boom with the sheet down tight.  Back into the lift.

Michael
Formerly of Cayenne
P40#52
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

W. John Baker

Oct 23, 2015, 5:13:08 PM10/23/15
to Michael Moradzadeh, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Up here in Michigan we haul out every year and do so with the fore stay disconnected. No problems for eight straight years. Pelican will be fine.

John
Odyssey
470cc
hull #13

W. John Baker, Ph.D.
Sent from my iPad

Donal Botkin

Oct 23, 2015, 5:29:34 PM10/23/15
to Chris - Pelican, Passport Owners
I have been through this drill on several haul-outs with not a problem at all, as Michael M confirms. I have also learned what happens to an unstayed aluminum mast when it gets its freedom at sea in non-storm conditions—second-hand from friends who made it back to port and gave a full account.

Aluminum is both strong and very flexible ('wet-noodle' was the term my friends used) and can survive far more bending than you can imagine. YouTube has videos of airplane wings in test facilities that support this. So, no worries about removing the forestay and slacking the backstay. I would take some of the tension off the upper and intermediate shrouds as well to keep them from ‘bowing’ the mast, but leave the lowers as they are.

Cheers,
Donal

John Wither

Oct 23, 2015, 9:08:05 PM10/23/15
to Chris - Pelican, Passport Owners
Like others I have to remove my forestay every time on a haul out, and have not had any issues.  I live in a very Windy City which gets a very strong sea breeze every afternoon so I usually use one of the halyards to give a bit of extra support during the time I am up.  You will find there is a lot of unwinding to do on the turnbuckle.  It's a good time to check for corrosion and reapply any lubricant on the threads.

John wither
Passport 40
Perth, Aussie.

Sent from my iPad

Bob Peahl

Oct 23, 2015, 10:20:32 PM10/23/15
to John Wither, Chris - Pelican, Passport Owners
We haul stern to and remove the backstay.  No problems.

Sent from my iPhone

rcyoung

Oct 24, 2015, 5:20:20 AM10/24/15
to Bob Peahl, John Wither, Chris - Pelican, Passport Owners
Indeed this is how I have had it done for the last 15 yrs. Put a piece of tape on the turnbuckle threads to get it back where it was. Don't forget to reassemble when on the hard.

Regards,
Bob

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone