Anti siphon

David Lee

May 9, 2016, 11:39:09 AM5/9/16
to Passport Owners
Dear folks. Does any one have a source for replacement of the stainless exhaust anti siphon located port side of our Passport 47? All comments appreciated.
David Lee

View[+]Finder

May 9, 2016, 3:19:34 PM5/9/16
to David Lee, Passport Owners
There are high-temperature plastic alternatives similar to water-lift mufflers that will work (better?) and cost a lot less than having one made in stainless. Wet exhaust from the engine should enter at the bottom and go up through a tube inside the device. The exit is at the bottom to the through-hull with the vacuum-breaker at the top. Small hose on it leading to the bilge.

Cheers,
Donal

On May 9, 2016, at 03:23 , David Lee <drle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear folks. Does any one have a source for replacement of the stainless exhaust anti siphon located port side of our Passport 47? All comments appreciated.
David Lee

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

ChinaDoll

May 9, 2016, 3:45:54 PM5/9/16
to Passport Owners
What you're probably after is a Vetus Rotomolded 075 Gooseneck. The vertical gooseneck now has adjustable ends and will save significant amount of space and weight over the SS original. Just make sure to place it as high as possible up against the bottom of the boat's side deck with the loop at the top.

See an earlier post from 2014 all the way at the bottom of that post for more info: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/passportowners/VEI-58xlxMM

HTH,

-Rob.

rhp...@verizon.net

May 9, 2016, 4:53:16 PM5/9/16
to svchi...@gmail.com, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
That is what we used when re-powering Anthem.

Works great.

Bob Peahl
Anthem P40/70

Lou Mcfadden

Jun 2, 2016, 9:34:07 PM6/2/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Jun 5, 2016, 9:33:38 AM6/5/16
to Passport Owners
Note: water capacity is only in consideration of the waterlock and not the gooseneck anti siphon part; it is in consideration of simply holding system backwash from encroaching back into the engine. When I'd mention 075, that is a 3 inch exhaust system for our 85 HP Perkins; not sure of your HP or exhaust pipe size. But Vetis makes these in various sizes; if you have a fifty HP engine, perhaps then yours is a 2.5 inch exhaust system? Then perhaps the Vetus 060 gooseneck? Water capacity of the waterlock located below the exhaust exit on the engine --lowest point in the entire exhaust system-- must be able to handle the total volume of water between the waterlock and the top of the gooseneck (total static system volume) including the total run length of exhaust hose between the base of the gooseneck backwards to the top of the water lock. Therefore the actual waterlock locatated next to the engine below the exhaust port exit from the engine, it must be able to hold the total static system volume. Noting this volume is also controlled by the "design" of the system's exhaust hose run length after the waterlock to the gooseneck; keeping this run length as sort as possible is the a major exhaust layout consideration, so a system doesn't exceed back pressure for the engine or exceed the available space needed for a proper waterlock volume. There are also other wet marine exhaust designs that use only a high mounted gooseneck directly at the engine exhaust port without a waterlock (seen this on the P51 Koning), but this type of system requires a lot of height in the engine room space.