Aft berth size

Francisco Garuti

Nov 18, 2016, 11:47:09 AM11/18/16
to Passport Owners

I have left my Passport 40 sleeping in the Norfolk, VA area until I can return in December to continue my travels. I wanted to quote some stuff in the meantime to start planning and forgot to take these measurements before I left the boat. Could someone help me with the rough size of the aft berth? Im thinking of ordering a mattress for back there. I don't need all the exact measurements to place an order, just to quote something, so maybe length x wider portion x narrower portion? Thanks!

View[+]Finder

Nov 18, 2016, 12:04:06 PM11/18/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Roughly 200cm long with 120cm at one end and 75cm at the other. On my P40 the right side you see facing aft is (mostly) straight, whereas the left side curves with the hull. there is also a taper from top to bottom on the left side, again to fit the hull. Both the near and far ends are perpendicular to the right edge.

Having slept in the aft ‘cabin’ a few times, I can advise that it is not a spot for two adults to sleep in comfort. Non-sleeping activities will be confined to reading by the nature of the space, i.e. there is no space for ‘nature’.

If I were to consider replacing the mattress, I would go for thinner and not try to match the curves at all.

View[+]Finder

Donal B. Botkin
Belvedere, CA  94920

On Nov 8, 2016, at 14:39 , Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have left my Passport 40 sleeping in the Norfolk, VA area until I can return in December to continue my travels. I wanted to quote some stuff in the meantime to start planning and forgot to take these measurements before I left the boat. Could someone help me with the rough size of the aft berth? Im thinking of ordering a mattress for back there. I don't need all the exact measurements to place an order, just to quote something, so maybe length x wider portion x narrower portion? Thanks!

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

George Louis

Nov 18, 2016, 1:46:44 PM11/18/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Good mattress is expensive. Find someone who sells them and they will measure.

George Louis

Sent from my iPhone

John Baudendistel

Nov 18, 2016, 2:19:20 PM11/18/16
to George Louis, Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Food for thought.  After the Handcraft mattress gave up we went another route.  Buy a double sized 10" memory foam mattress.  Make a pattern and cut it out with an electric knife.  Then add custom sheets.  Works great.  We cut the top to follow the cabin side, so the top is larger than the bottom.

Thanks
John Baudendistel
Dream Keeper

psherwood

Nov 18, 2016, 8:43:49 PM11/18/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Agree that it'd be better to measure your own berth and make a template
out of cardboard -- there seems to be enough variability from boat to
boat and year to year to make that worth while. Would be a drag to get a
mattress that fits, for example, my quarterberth perfectly but is an
inch and a half too wide for yours.

Template or measurements in hand, find a place that sells latex foam or
some other sort of foam, either a bricks-and-mortar place near you or
something on line. You definitely want closed-cell foam. Good foam, the
5" stuff with the "pinholes" in it, is _very_ expensive these days, like
about $1K for a queen-sized bed. But the good stuff has a 20-year life
expectancy. A good shop will cut the foam to your measurements.

(I'm nearing 20 years on my latex mattress, and it's holding up fine.)

A reasonable alternative would be, after understanding your
measurements, haunt the Returns or As-Is section of your nearby Ikea
store, tape measure in hand, looking for a foam mattress that you could
cut to size yourself with an electric knife. You might have to make
several or many visits to find what you need. The Ikea stuff is much
less expensive than full-on 20-yr latex because it has only (supposedly)
a 10-year life expectancy. But it's pretty good; I've been satisfied
with a mattress and a futon pad I got there.

When you find something suitable (make sure it's not just a crappy
little pad for a chaise longue or something), buy it, then cut it
yourself with the electric knife (which with a little luck you might
find at a Goodwill or Value Village or comparable place).

If none of the above appeals to you, I'm finally on my boat and in a few
days when I clear all the crap I've stored in the quarterberth out of
there, I can take some quick measurements and send them along.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
on the hard, San Carlos

On Fri 11/18/16 12:19, John Baudendistel wrote:
> Food for thought. After the Handcraft mattress gave up we went another
> route. Buy a double sized 10" memory foam mattress. Make a pattern and
> cut it out with an electric knife. Then add custom sheets. Works
> great. We cut the top to follow the cabin side, so the top is larger
> than the bottom.
>
> Thanks
> John Baudendistel
> Dream Keeper
>

> On Nov 18, 2016, at 10:46 AM, George Louis <glou...@gmail.com
> <mailto:glou...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Good mattress is expensive. Find someone who sells them and they will
>> measure.
>>
>> George Louis
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Nov 8, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com

John Baudendistel

Nov 18, 2016, 9:36:16 PM11/18/16
to psherwood, Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Likely a double will fit fine. It did on our P42 Pullman style berth. $300-400 for memory foam online. May need two sets of blades on the Electric knife. Our was not cutting any more by 3/4 the way around. 10" mattress.

Thanks
John

View[+]Finder

Nov 19, 2016, 5:33:26 PM11/19/16
to John Baudendistel, Passport Owners
The aft berth on a P40 has limited clearance—barely headroom in a narrow area under the winches on the stbd side of the cockpit. Use of a 10” mattress will trade back-ache for head-ache in a most unpleasant ratio. I would suggest doing away with the mattress in favor of a very high quality “camping-style” closed cell foam pad cut to fit. That will gain a much-needed 4” of headroom over the stock mattress and provide a much more flexible use of the space in the rear cabin. Storage for example.

During my five-year voyage from SF to NZ and back, the only time the aft cabin was comfortable was on passages in cool weather. I suppose if one is cruising above Lat 38 with guests, a comfy mattress might be nice, but in the ‘little latitudes’ sleeping in the cockpit will be the better choice.

Cheers,
Donal

View[+]Finder
Belvedere, CA 94920