Need a new Genoa, what size?

David Pawley

Aug 30, 2017, 8:37:43 PM8/30/17
to Passport Owners
Hi, Both my sails are sad, (28yo)I need to get a 1000 miles or so upwind, before I expect to see anything aft of the beam.  Have decided to order a new Jib, but a little caught up on optimal size. Given that the existing Jib is a 134% (Guess #2 Genoa) and is a bit of a beast to handle on a beat, and I'd like to use my inner staysail a bit more, its on a Hyfield usually not used.
Don't think I want a yankee cut but it would be easier to get around the inner forestay.
What do you think, is the size of the overlap and any other recommendations I should tell the sail maker.
Or what is your windward tactic with the idea of using the engine the least.
Thanks.

CAZ

Aug 30, 2017, 9:00:03 PM8/30/17
to Passport Owners
David, I am in the same situation as you are needing new sails. When I order a new jib, it will be a 120%. I do not have electric winches. Sheeting in while beating is very difficult with my existing 135%. I will also have the sail cut so that I can physically reach the clue when furled. Currently, the clew is up so high (when furled) that I cannot adjust or change out the sheets. I do have a like new 100% that I use on the inner forestay.
thanks,
Bill Caz.
s/v 1984 P40, Beau Navire

Jon Ash

Aug 30, 2017, 9:35:49 PM8/30/17
to CAZ, Passport Owners
It's always a good time when getting new sails. I sail with a 130 up to 18 kts plus or minus then put up a 100 up to 28 from 18 to 25 I also fly a staysail. Over 30 it's a storm staysail and no headsail. Two headsails (100 & staysail) work pretty good upwind. It takes surprising little sail to keep my heavy passport moving along pretty well. I use heavier crosscut Dacron sails for shape and durability and keep the clew cringle small enough to use a soft shackle. Most importantly I keep Caribbean Soul standing up I like it under ten degree heel.
US sail can provide a polar for your sail layout. I find a polar diagram very important for sail management.
Not to mention an asymmetric spinnaker.
Good luck
Jon Ash
S/V Caribbean Soul P40