Water System Outline

Daniel Leach

Apr 13, 2017, 10:10:12 AM4/13/17
to Passport Owners
Hey Team Passport,

Has anyone take the time to outline how those crazy builders in Taiwan did the basic P40 water system?

On Endless Song we've got what seem to be the standard SS Tanks under the Starboard and Port  outboard salon seats. The overflow vent for both tanks appear to run to a T fitting near the Port Tank aft end, then up to the nice bronze fitting in the edge of the galley sink.  Normal?   Anyone replace these?  Know the lengths, routing?

I ask as I think the line is blocked from the Starboard tank....it gets chuffy when you fill too fast.  And lately the Port tank has started....burbling and making complaining noises as the water pump sucks out H2O.  To me those are all signs that the tanks are not venting properly.

Before I go crazy pulling hoses apart, I thought I'd check in with the collective wisdom of the masses.

CAZ

Apr 13, 2017, 10:47:24 AM4/13/17
to Passport Owners

Daniel,

FYI, I have (I think) the original blue line drawing showing the water tank plumbing. No line lengths specified. Over time, I have disassembled all the connections from the tanks leading up to the Vent at the galley sink looking for clogs. Non were found. My issue was filling the tanks too fast, causing the tank walls to “boom” and getting water into the vent lines. I installed a manual bleed valve in the bilge to drain the vent lines & resolve that issue. Another issue made it difficult to pump water from either tank - faulty foot pump in the head. It allowed air to get into the lines. Once replaced, all my water issues went away. Long story short, I never did find an actual clog on my 30 year old Passport.

Thanks

Captain Bill Caz

P40, Beau Navire

Marty McOmber

Apr 13, 2017, 10:47:54 AM4/13/17
to Daniel Leach, Passport Owners
Hi Dan,

I replaced my entire system two years ago except for the tanks -- which I will do next winter.

You are correct about the vent for the tanks and it was a constant problem for me as well.  If you got water in the vent line by over filling the tank, then it caused the exact issues you described.

I replaced the old hose for the system with pex and SeaTech fittings.  For the vents, rather than have them t and then go up to the sink, I just ran separate vent hoses from each tank and let them terminate just above the sump in the bilge.

The only downside to this approach is I need to try to avoid overfilling the tanks. But actually, that was the same issue I had before with the T fitting getting clogged with water.  Only now, if I do overfill, I just have a little water in the bilge.

Sent from my iPad
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Rob Raymond

Apr 13, 2017, 7:16:59 PM4/13/17
to Marty McOmber, Daniel Leach, Passport Owners
The boom from the starboard tank drives my wife nuts. I might try the "manual bleed valve" at the lowest point in the starboard vent line. It seems to me that as the boat rocks when the tank is full the line would just fill again, or run into the bilge if the line vented to there.

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Verizon

Apr 13, 2017, 10:36:15 PM4/13/17
to Rob Raymond, Marty McOmber, Daniel Leach, Passport Owners
We open the dip sticks when filling our tanks.  This seems to eliminate the booms, which terrorize our dogs.

This also gives an immediate indication of when the tank is full.

Sent from my iPhone
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
For more options, go to
http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.

Ernie Reuter

John Baudendistel

Rob Raymond

Apr 14, 2017, 10:42:29 AM4/14/17
to John Baudendistel, Marty McOmber, Daniel Leach, Passport Owners
Nobody else gets noise from the starboard tank when they run water?

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 6:49 AM, John Baudendistel <jo...@ets247.com> wrote:
Open both caps  when filling

John

On Apr 13, 2017, at 4:16 PM, Rob Raymond <wind...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Daniel Leach

Apr 14, 2017, 10:57:24 AM4/14/17
to Rob Raymond, John Baudendistel, Marty McOmber, Passport Owners

I've started getting a gurgle sound in that vent hose when I'm on Port.  Stbd still seems quiet.  Unless I fill too fast.

Dan Leach

Endless Song

Apr 14, 2017, 1:23:03 PM4/14/17
to John Baudendistel, Rob Raymond, Marty McOmber, Daniel Leach, Passport Owners
Oh yes if the vent is full you will get a pretty good bang when the tank has enough vacuum to pull the water back out of the vent. Only happens to newly filled tanks. Filling tanks with open dipstick holes usually prevents filling bang and then also when using water.
Jon Ash
Caribbean Soul P40

Sent from my iPhone

rickc...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2017, 7:23:29 PM4/14/17
to jo...@ets247.com, wind...@gmail.com, mmco...@gmail.com, danle...@gmail.com, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Beware of overfilling. The "oil panning" of the stainless will work harden it over time - particularly at the joints/seams - just like bending a paper clip.

Rick
"Drambuoy"