Questions following teak deck removal.

John Wither

Apr 21, 2017, 8:09:16 AM4/21/17
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

I have a couple of questions to those that have taken off their teak decks.  I did receive some very valuable feedback prior to starting the process, and now I am at the stage where the teak is all off, screw holes have been filled, and finished off with a sanding down removing the excess fill and the remaining Sikaflex.  The questions – (1)  Did anyone reduce the length of the jib car track – mine at present goes all the way back to the jib winch in the cockpit and I cannot see any reason why it needs to go that far back as I have reduced my original 140% genoa to 110%, (2)  there was some discussion regarding butyl (?) tape under the deck fittings and the stay fittings – Has anyone had any problems with using the tape in preference to the use of the G10 product.  I am having trouble finding G10 in any thickness in Aussie, what I have found is thin sheets for use in model plane building.

I have taken lots of photo’s etc during my process and when completed will post the info.

Thanks to those that contributed to my original research of the subject as it was a great help.

Regards

John Wither

Perth, Australia

Wayfarer.P40

Bette Reuter

Apr 21, 2017, 10:58:12 AM4/21/17
to John Wither, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,
In my humble opinion, the butyl tape and the G10 have completely different purposes. G10 is a structural material, whereas butyl tape is to stop leakage. The two are not interchangeable.

Bette

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Apr 21, 2017, 12:02:02 PM4/21/17
to John Wither, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
1. I reused the same jib car track, which in my case ends roughly at the
forward edge of the cockpit.

2. Not understanding how one would use G10 at all under deck fittings --
it's not a bedding or a sealant but rather for backing plates and other
applications where strength and impermeability are required.

I rebedded all the deck hardware with caulk (didn't have access to butyl
tape at the time):

- Mask off carefully

- Lay down a thick bed of caulking (_not_ 4200, or even worse, 5200)

- Place some washers or toothpicks or something around cleverly to hold
the hardware up about a quarter inch

- Bolt the hardware into place but tighten down only about 1/3 of the way

- Let the goop set up for a day or two

- Remove washers and tighten hardware down fully

- With an X-acto knife or something similar, trim off the rubbery goop
that pooches out from around the hardware

- Remove masking tape.

When I replaced the traveler last year I did bed its brackets in butyl
tape. Seems to be fine, but the installation has yet to be seriously
challenged. I wonder, though, whether butyl tape's best use might be in
applications where a bit more space has to be filled and the parts
aren't attached quite so forcefully, for example in the installation of
a cabin window or port light as contrasted with a deck cleat. That's
just conjecture; I don't really know.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

Rob Raymond

Apr 21, 2017, 5:10:55 PM4/21/17
to psherwood, John Wither, Passport List
G10 is just to raise the sealed surface off the deck to avoid water collecting in that area, but perhaps it's just for those with type A personality disorder.

Most likely you'll have to order G10 in from the USA, that's what I did in Canada. It may be quicker for you from China. A plastic shop may have some, but it will be expensive.

For a nice installation on a non-teak deck, you'll want to router a small radius around the top of your G10 riser. Before painting it gets epoxied permanently to the deck under where the fitting goes. A small fillet thickened epoxy around the base to match the top radius will make it look like part of the deck. The fitting is installed on top of the plate using the sealant a technique of your choice. It doesn't have to be too thick, you don't want something to stub your bare toes on.

So far butyl tape has work better for us than polysulfide on the chain plate cover plates because of the movement in that area, but that's the only place we've used it.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Matthew Davidson

Apr 22, 2017, 9:10:20 PM4/22/17
to Passport Owners
If you need sticks of G10... just let me know width, length and thickness. I can order it and ship it to you.

They cut it out with a waterjet... I think I used 3/8" thick x 4 ft x 2" wide pieces for raw material to cut out my raised Genoa track mounts.
Matthew
SV WILDFLOWER P40