Best way to remove engine on a P40

Ben Nicol

Jan 11, 2018, 2:36:40 PM1/11/18
to Passport Owners
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the best way to remove the engine on a p40 ?

We are going to replace the 4.108 with a Beta 50 and are wondering if anyone has gone through the hatch in the saloon or through the companion way ?

Photos would be excellent if you have them.

Regards,
Ben

Rob Raymond

Jan 11, 2018, 2:46:34 PM1/11/18
to Ben Nicol, Passport Owners
We progressively removed parts from our old Nanni engine until it fit through the hatch. There's no way the Beta 50 would fit through the hatch, so we built a wooden frame, and slid if from the companionway on UHMW skids.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Jan 11, 2018, 2:48:36 PM1/11/18
to Ben Nicol, Passport Owners
My 4.108 went out through the saloon hatch. First it had to come up off
its mounts a couple of feet (after disconnecting the wiring harness and
removing the transmission, of course). Then everything extending off the
block had to come off: bell housing, cooling system, alternator, starter
motor, maybe another thing or two. Then up she went. I don't have the
photos on this computer, unfortunately.

Fit and tape down a couple of layers of cardboard on your cabin sole and
have lots of rags handy.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
San Carlos

Bob Peahl

Jan 11, 2018, 3:35:43 PM1/11/18
to Rob Raymond, Ben Nicol, Passport Owners
We removed the Nanni over the galley and out the companionway, then replaced with a Yanmar.

Bob Peahl

On Jan 11, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Rob Raymond <wind...@gmail.com> wrote:

We progressively removed parts from our old Nanni engine until it fit through the hatch. There's no way the Beta 50 would fit through the hatch, so we built a wooden frame, and slid if from the companionway on UHMW skids.

<20160728_165155.jpg>
<20160728_165145.jpg>

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:36 AM, Ben Nicol <ben.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the best way to remove the engine on a p40 ?

We are going to replace the 4.108 with a Beta 50 and are wondering if anyone has gone through the hatch in the saloon or through the companion way ?

Photos would be excellent if you have them.

Regards,
Ben

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Ben Nicol

Jan 15, 2018, 11:37:48 PM1/15/18
to Passport Owners
Thanks Bob

Ben Nicol

Jan 29, 2018, 7:15:01 PM1/29/18
to Passport Owners
Thanks for the reply everyone. We have ordered the Beta and I will document the transplant.