Re: [Passport] Digest for PassportOwners@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 2 topics

Robert Settle

Jul 28, 2016, 4:12:33 PM7/28/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
For the Code Zero cloth I had to make a dollars decision due to the expense of the furling unit and the all up cost with bowsprit added in. The Bainbridge and the German lightweight sailcloth are superior in stretch and maintaining draft position. I don't recall their UV properties. They are much more expensive than the stabilized 1.5 oz spin cloth that I had mine built with. But the 1.5 oz. cloth is a fine option. Darker colors will last longer in the UV. Code zeros don't adapt well to UV leech strips. The "snake" should be dropped on deck bagged when not in use. Not just left up for entire passages. But it's a very simple sail to manage. And it adds a lot of horsepower on points of sail that just don't work well with other configurations. That's it's marvel.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM, <Passpor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Robert Settle <robert...@gmail.com>: Jul 27 12:41PM -0700

I would strongly advise anyone towards a Code Zero. You'll never want to
sail again without it. It is expensive though initially for the setup as
you'll need a continuous line furling unit and either a bowsprit or tack
fitting that clears the pulpit. The plus is the furling unit can easily
attach to any other sail that is appropriate. I went with a Facnor as they
have the longest track record with these but there are many highly rated
others making them now.

I bought my Code Zero from China directly after confirming the curves and
specs they produced prior to cutting cloth. After all -the China lofts
build almost every US sailmakers sails now. I paid about half any US
quotes. Same with my assym. I'd be hesitant though to buy a mainsail or my
genoa from China. Just too fiddly with the draft and many other points
where you'd want your sailmaker to make adjustments.

The Starzinger article is almost spot on. They -like me prefer not to run
the diesel if at all possible. Why burn diesel when you can run an assym or
code zero? That's why it's called sailing. I don't agree with them re. the
assymmetrical as a hassle. I launch and douse it easily and prefer it over
the main and headsail on a pole setup. I even run it at night within reason.

Ross Hoag <ross...@gmail.com>: Jul 27 01:01PM -0700

What material and weight did you go with on your Code Zero from China? Just
wondering about the practical tradeoffs between weight, durability, and
efficiency as there seems to be endless options out there. This will be a
cruising setup for us...not for racing.

Thanks,

Ross

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:41:35 PM UTC-7, Robert Settle wrote:
Michael Moradzadeh <m...@yachtpc.com>: Jul 27 11:46AM -0700

If you are able to strip off the HP fuel pump, you will be doing some
Nanni owner a huge favor in the future.