Re: [Passport] Digest for PassportOwners@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 3 topics

1 view

Crit Dowler

Feb 6, 2015, 12:43:13 PM2/6/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
 DSCN0467 DSCN0466
Boarding Ladders
I found this one to be Great!  Because I single hand I need something that can be deployed from the water. There is a piece
of Dynema line attached to the ladder that floats on the surface and I can pull that to deploy. Being short, I could use another step
on the top but it is quite doable still.  One can have it deploy on either side and it can can be switched. I also had a pin made for
the pivot point so that I can lock it in place if I want to. It has a tendency to swing and if you are not aware of that it can be a surprise.
It has served me
well.  They are an option on Valentes now. Any stainless steel guy can make one with a picture I am sure. Sergio Gallinda made this one.
Smooth sailing, Crit
P40 1987 S/V Jasdip
Sea of Cortez
PS I usually have the life line above the ladder (picture # 2).  This was for a photo op and I didn’t notice till now! Not good the way
it is in the picture! (Ha)

Sent: Friday, February 06, 2015 9:25 AM
Subject: [Passport] Digest for Passpor...@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 3 topics

John Baudendistel <jo...@ets247.com>: Feb 05 07:08PM -0800

Rob,

Can you take some photos of your project and provide some prep details.
What kind of paint is your preference and why? I have some areas I may
consider, however my topsides are teak and gel coat currently. The teak
decks have been refurbished, re-calked, seamed, planks replaced etc. It
makes the top side cabin house show their age! 2 part LPU? or? New
non-skid epoxied down? Paint in between?

Thanks,

John B.
Dream Keeper
P42.

--
Thanks,

John Baudendistel
jo...@ets247.com
Rob Raymond <wind...@gmail.com>: Feb 05 08:10PM -0800

We're planning to keep the teak side decks as well, and the existing
non-skid on the cabin top. Everything that can come off is coming off
before we paint.

For paint we thought we'd use Interlux Perfection because it seems to be
the most readily available in Canada and the DIY procedures are well
documented, I've worked with gel coat but not 2 part PU. The colour choices
aren't that great. We want to do a 2 tone deck with darker non skid, but
the grey (silver?) may be a little dark. It would be nice to get some input
on colour.

I don't really have any good project pictures, just pictures of individual
pieces to aid in re-assembly.

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 19:08:14 UTC-8, john wrote:
John Baudendistel <jo...@ets247.com>: Feb 05 08:18PM -0800

Rob,

Hi. We have the patterned non-skid which was in the 42 hull mold. 10+ years ago we had it taped off repaired and filled where necessary. Then put down 2 coats of awlgrig primer then 2 coats of a hmmm light grey. At the time I thought it was medium. Many choices. The grey cuts down on the glare. It was rolled on with a foam epoxy roller. Collie island boat works did the job back then. If I were to redo it I would do it the exact same way.

John

John Baudendistel
Jo...@ets247.com

John Baudendistel <jo...@ets247.com>: Feb 05 08:20PM -0800

So on color ours is light very non skid. Original gel coat white.

John Baudendistel
Jo...@ets247.com

psherwood <p...@witanco.com>: Feb 05 09:12PM -0800

When I removed my teak decking I put down light gray non-skid
(KiwiGrip). Works well -- doesn't heat up like teak or a dark color,
doesn't produce dazzling glare like white.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
San Carlos / Seattle

On 2/5/2015 20:10, Rob Raymond wrote:
John Wither <jpwi...@bigpond.com>: Feb 06 01:49PM +1100

Tim, I have a folding ladder that fits on either side of the boat. It fits into two brackets (small) on the deck, over the cap rail and into the water. There are two struts that fold out that hold the ladder off the hull. It had flat steps so no sore feet climbing out. I am away at present and can send photo's in two weeks if you wish.

Regards

John wither
Perth, Aussie

Sent from my iPad

Rob Raymond <wind...@gmail.com>: Feb 05 07:50PM -0800

It would be nice if there was something "off the shelf" that would work as
a mid-ships boarding ladder for our P40s. Perhaps if enough of us got
together for an order, we could get something made semi-custom... assuming
all the gunwales on our boats are the same. Our boat didn't come with a
ladder, it was stolen from a boat yard before we bought the boat, so we're
also in the market.

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 18:49:26 UTC-8, Dibble wrote:
Rob Raymond <wind...@gmail.com>: Feb 05 05:02PM -0800

Eric, that would be excellent! Since we are also in the Lower Mainland
(we're currently on the hard at Shelter Island) I could pick it up when you
have it off the boat. With all the other work we're doing to the boat, I'd
rather not deal with a new traveler system right now.

On Thursday, 5 February 2015 16:42:21 UTC-8, Eric Schnabel wrote:
Jim Melton <Shelt...@xmission.com>: Feb 05 06:06PM -0700

We also recently replaced our traveler with a Garhauer. Aside from the
absurdly tedious necessity of drilling out every single machine screw
that held the old traveler down (due to galling and/or galvanic
corrosion), the process was awesomely simple and quick.

Once I had drilled out all those screws, I removed the old traveler,
popped it into a heavy-duty UPS box, and shipped it to Garhauer. About a
week later, I got a UPS shipment from them and, within an hour, had the
new traveler installed. Well, except...

Garhauer had custom-drilled all of the holes to align with those in the
old traveler. The kink was that the traveler cars were slightly too wide
for the place where the traveler screw holes were and the cars jammed
against the "lip" immediately forward of the companionway hatch. I
immediately (it's still less than two hours after UPS delivered the
package to me) phoned Garhauer. They promise to ship me new cars
immediately and I could ship the old cars back to them at my leisure.
Two days later, the new cars arrived, I installed them without trouble,
and later shipped the old cars back.

I am tremendously impressed with Garhauer, with their hardware, and with
their service.

Highly recommended!
Jim

P.S., Works a treat, too!

On 2015-02-05 16:58, ddockrat wrote:

----- Message truncated -----

================
Jim Melton & Barbara Edelberg
"Dream SeQueL"
1982 Passport 40, hull# 18
http://DreamSeQueL.com
"BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand"
Eric Schnabel <eaglew...@gmail.com>: Feb 05 06:37PM -0800

Ok that is great we should get together I would love to see your boat and swap ideas
You can contact me direct at Eaglew...@gmail.com

Sent from my iPad

DSCN0467[3].jpg
DSCN0466[12].jpg

Matthew Davidson

Mar 26, 2018, 1:54:53 AM3/26/18
to Passport Owners
Crit
Could you provide a bunch of details photos of your swinging boarding ladder? Like to consider this option!
Matthew S/V Wildflower P40