P40 Traveller Replacement

Jim Henerberry

May 19, 2018, 4:38:17 PM5/19/18
to Passport Owners
Hey P40 Sailors,
I'm writing in with info on my traveller replacement.  I went with a Garhauer straight track and installed it on customized Garhauer universal risers.  I had Guido make them 2 5/8" taller than the largest stock size.  As it turns out, that was still too short and I ended up putting a 3/4" block of starboard under each foot, so 3 1/4" or 3 1/2" taller (in the vertical axis) would be a better choice.

I through bolted the feet through the deck just inboard by about an inch of the turn of the coach roof.  This makes the total length of the track 7' 3 1/2".  My measurement was 7' to the last mounting hole on the track and Guido added 1 3/4" on each end beyond the last mounting hole for the total length.

The whole thing sits above the molded mounts for the old track and adds quite a bit of usable length for moving the car on each end.  I use a contiuous single line for control that rums to cam cleats on the aft edge of the seahood inside the dodger.

I had Guido install two stand up blocks on the car (with springs under), but on the first sail in light air it became obvious that the blocks did not follow the lead well enough and introduced too much drag into the sheet.  So, I scavenged the plate from the old car and mounted that to the new car with stainless straps I fashioned from some tang material and aluminum strips I cut for a sheet of 3/8" stock I had for another project (see pics).

I haven't sailed much yet and still need to get the aluminum anodized, but preliminary indications are very good.  I now have to be careful when relasing the windward control line in any kind of wind because the line runs to freely it can burn my hand.  Compared to having to get out ther and kick the thing across, it's a dream and I'll be using the traveller much more often to balance the helm when the wind kicks up.

All up it cost me somewhere around $1300 for the feet and track, fasteners and such.  The Garhauer gear is super strong and easy to work with.  Things come apart easily for modification/inspection.

If anyone wants my old parts (track, car, end fittings with sheaves, mounting brackets), just let me know and you can have them for the shipping costs.  Otherwise they are going into the metal recycling.

Let me know if you want more pics or info on the install.

Jim Henerberry
P40, #123, Lottie B

P4280008.JPG
P4280011.JPG