Staysail Rigging

Al Hatch

Apr 1, 2018, 7:07:28 PM4/1/18
to Passport Owners
I am looking to install a staysail on my Passport 40, haven't been able to find any information on the following, track location (how far aft of the mast and how far off the centerline) and height of forestay tang on mast, is it at the upper spreaders, higher or lower and if so how far.  Also for those who have a staysail are you using runners?  Location of tack on deck is pretty well fixed so no problems there.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jon Ash

Apr 2, 2018, 10:21:40 AM4/2/18
to Al Hatch, Passport Owners

Al I made this install on Caribbean Soul and have been happy with the results. Do you have an empty pulley on the forward sheve that is used for the upper control line of the spinnaker pole. This became my halyard pulley for the inner staysail. Above this the attachment for the staysail stay. To the sides at this level were the running back attachments. The stay was removable with a hayfield lever at the deck. The deck attachment was stabilized with a good sized knee with gussets fastened to the anchor locker bulkhead and deck. When not in use the stay is stored on the forward shroud via a fitting and purchase. The only downside is the slightly small distance between the head stay and stay sail stay. This has been little problem and it's care you can tack a working jib with the stay sail deployed. I use only a working stay sail and storm job on the inner stay. Both are hank on sails. With a 95 on the head stay (roller furled) and a working stay sail and two reefs in the main you are good for 30 kts then furl the head sail for another 5 or so knots if you are expecting more than that go to the tri sail and storm jib right away. I have seven sails in my inventory and usually dress for max expected wind very early. Once you are over 12 to 15 knots of wind you need very little sail to keep going. I judge sail plan by heal angle 8 degrees I'm happy 10 or more I start to reduce sail. Why beat up the boat.
As far as the stay sail sheet tracks I'm guessing they are 30-36 inches long centered fore and aft on the mast about 18-20 inches from the mast.
FYI the tracks are thru bolted by carefully cutting thru the overhead with a razor knife between the Barton's and across close to the bulkhead. 2 fore 2 aft. Then a little glue and paint and the access work disappears.
Good luck
Let me know if you need nmore.

On Apr 1, 2018, at 7:07 PM, Al Hatch <capta...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am looking to install a staysail on my Passport 40, haven't been able to find any information on the following, track location (how far aft of the mast and how far off the centerline) and height of forestay tang on mast, is it at the upper spreaders, higher or lower and if so how far.  Also for those who have a staysail are you using runners?  Location of tack on deck is pretty well fixed so no problems there.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Ernie Reuter

Apr 2, 2018, 10:44:49 AM4/2/18
to Al Hatch, Passport Owners
On Iemanja, #66 1984, the boat is set up with a staysail. The P.O. had this done.

Top of the stay comes in at the lower spreaders, yes for running backs, the tack is indeed is on deck and connects into a plate that goes thru deck and into a plate mounted in at the bulkhead behind the head. The lead track is merely an extra length of track that was installed about 8” in front of the existing Genoa track..
The position  is probably not the optimum for lead.....It should probably be on the cabin top closer to the centerline but they opted to install in the deck rather than cabin top.  But hey.....we aren’t racing so if the lead is not perfect it’s not critical. I can use this lead and barberhaul it out or in to get a better leach and foot if I want to get nuts.

We went a step further and installed a furler for this sail this year. In an effort to gain storage below we sailed a bunch with the sail left on deck, yanked on and in a bag. Liking the sail but not liking the look of the bagged up sail on the foredeck, we converted this year. Now with a furler, we are far more likely to use this sail.

I have the old forestay with the lower attachment that Jon mentioned. It may be available........I have to check with Bette to see how she feels about parting with it.

Ernie
SV Iemanja
Little River SC

Marty McOmber

Apr 2, 2018, 12:37:47 PM4/2/18
to Ernie Reuter, Al Hatch, Passport Owners
Here is a picture of where our staysail tracks are located.  We also have a fairlead closer to the cockpit on the cabin top to direct the line.

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
IMG_0284.JPG