Cruising Code Zero

Richard Hurt

Oct 30, 2015, 6:42:14 PM10/30/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

For those who were interested in adding a cruising code zero type of straight luff asym to their Passport 40, I thought I would share what I have done to accommodate such a sail.

1.       Found a reinforced spinnaker crane for my Isomat mast.  Fabricated by a rigging shop in British Columbia.  Perfect fit.

2.       Modified the bow pulpit to create clearance.

3.       Fabricated a short sprit that bolts to the side of the existing bow structure.  Sprit is overbuilt (cant help myself), and made of 2” (2 3/8” o.d.) schedule 80, 316 pipe, about 24” long.

The end plates and mounting brackets were plasma cut from ¼” 316 stainless plate.  The brackets had the pipe radius cut,  were then bent 90 degree to make a bolting surface.  Everything TIG welded together by a local shop here in Petaluma. Everything was polished before final welding. I used an existed 5/8” hole in the anchor roller bracket, and drilled an additional ½” hole to bolt the sprit to the roller.  The sprit extends about 11” beyond the roller.

4.       I have ordered the Selden G15 top down continuous line furler.  The sail has a pocket along the luff that the anti- torsion line rides in.  Doyle is building the sail.

Regards

Rick Hurt

SV Perla, P-40 #14

isomat.jpg
photo.jpg
photo.jpg

Michael Moradzadeh

Oct 30, 2015, 6:54:21 PM10/30/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work.

I might add a few things:

1. DEFINITELY reinforce the spinnaker cranes.
2. I have found a company called trogear here in the bay area that makes a very nice carbon fiber a-frame sprit that you can install yourself for about $1500.  It pivots on the bow so need not be hard to rig and need not add to your slip fees (or add 50 pounds to the bow!) (http://trogear.com/)

Michael
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

ChinaDoll

Oct 31, 2015, 12:50:58 PM10/31/15
to Passport Owners
Couple of quick QSTs: since the CZ is up all the time, if center mounted in the crane, vs port/starboard crane better? Since it's a top down, you'll be able to use ur existing asym spinnaker? I gather a benefit of the CZ is tacking/gybing is done without dropping the torque tube and sail, just furl and unfurl.