Re: [Passport] Digest for PassportOwners@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 1 topic

Robert Settle

Jun 8, 2016, 4:29:57 PM6/8/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
As a North sailmaker/racer (back in the day) I second Billy Manana's remarks. Get that chain out of the bow!
If at all possible get the polar chart for the Passport 40 (should be public somewhere) so you can understand your designs best point of sail for the wind range and sails you are flying. Go get em!!

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM, <Passpor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
wi...@appletonproperties.com: Jun 07 10:36AM -0700

Our beloved Passport 40 #146 will be racing in her first regatta this
weekend in the PHRF Spinnaker Cruising class. The race is a distance race
of between 10-20 miles around government marks and unfortunately will have
a long upwind leg down the Chesapeake Bay into a southerly breeze. Though
Bob Perry has referred to racing P40's as "dualing tubas" do any other
owners have advice or experiences that might help us pull off an unexpected
triumph? Does it really pay to offload the anchor and rode? Should I drain
my water tanks? Any tricks of the trade or observations would be helpful or
just amusing! Thanks in advance and wish us luck.

Best

Will Fastow
Artax P40 (146)
Michael Moradzadeh <m...@yachtpc.com>: Jun 07 10:49AM -0700

A passport is a fine race boat, particularly if the wind is up.

Some hints from ten thousand miles raced on Cayenne:

1. Read the sailing instructions.
2. Get the bottom cleaned (worth half a knot)
3. Fly the right headsail. Be willing to change sails.
4. Watch your main trim. Proper outhaul and traveller settings can
make a huge difference.
5. Do not try to outpoint the slim racers. We are a different animal.
6. Put your crew on the rail. Standing more upright is faster
7. Sure, take the anchor and rode off the bow, but carry them on the
boat. Don't be foolhardy
8. Lock your prop. If it's a folding prop, lock it so that neither
blade droops down.
9. If the wind is going to be less than eight knots, well, maybe you
should go see a movie or something.

Larry Rovin <lro...@crudenbaypartners.com>: Jun 07 05:55PM

Unfortunately our experience mirrors Michael’s, especially on the Chesapeake. If the wind is under 8-10 you actually are lucky to have a long upwind leg as she will do reasonably well with the right sail trim, but it’s not your day. 10-15, pay attention and you could do well. Over 15 and you are going to cause some trouble on the racecourse!

On 6/7/2016 10:36 AM, wi...@appletonproperties.com<mailto:wi...@appletonproperties.com> wrote:
Our beloved Passport 40 #146 will be racing in her first regatta this weekend in the PHRF Spinnaker Cruising class. The race is a distance race of between 10-20 miles around government marks and unfortunately will have a long upwind leg down the Chesapeake Bay into a southerly breeze. Though Bob Perry has referred to racing P40's as "dualing tubas" do any other owners have advice or experiences that might help us pull off an unexpected triumph? Does it really pay to offload the anchor and rode? Should I drain my water tanks? Any tricks of the trade or observations would be helpful or just amusing! Thanks in advance and wish us luck.

Best

Will Fastow
Artax P40 (146)
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com<mailto:Passpor...@googlegroups.com>
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com<mailto:Passpor...@googlegroups.com>
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

We won a race on our P51! With full fuel, water and the dinghy on the back. Symmetrical spinnaker did it for us. Everyone else was gybing back and forth and we were drinking champagne and cruising straight through. Best of luck to you. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

Chris - Pelican <pel...@svpelican.com>: Jun 07 11:23AM -0700

Depending on the wind, you can have a huge advantage. We did a race on Lake
Champlain where we came in first in our class (non-spinnaker) and fifth
overall (all classes, corrected time). The wind was blowing 20-25 and
everyone else had to reef or throw smaller sails on. We powered through. I
still remember three J105's at the finish yelling at us as they jockeyed
for the line - "We're racing - watch out!" I yelled back "We're racing too,
and we're not moving!" from our P40 laden with the anchor, BBQ grill on the
stern and full tanks. Here are some
pics: http://gallery.svpelican.com/v/non-art/passport40/regatta/

A few tips:

- Based on the wind, dump or fill your tanks. Full tanks can give you an
advantage in heavier winds.
- I wouldn't bother pulling your anchor off. In the scheme of things it
probably won't buy you much vs. your saved time.
- Don't pinch. Once again, don't pinch. Unless of course you have to in
order to make a mark.
- Fight fight FIGHT for a higher PHRF rating. I don't remember what ours
was, but we argued that we were a semi-custom boat so one rating doesn't
fit them all, and that we had cruising gear, anchor, 250 feet of chain,
full tanks. You can also argue older sails if you haven't updated them for
a while, non-folding prop if you don't have a folding prop, and if you have
any other weight based items or performance slowing items that might not be
considered in a "stock" PHRF rating. The thing about PHRF ratings is that
they are generated based upon a significant number of boats racing hundreds
or thousands of times. That just isn't the case with a P40, so it helps you
out a bit. Passports will win or lose based on PHRF ratings.
- Understand the rules of the race and of racing in general. Overlap,
buoy room, penalties.
- Have the marks predefined as waypoints in your chartplotter (I still
remember the LORAN days of racing, but not before). If there's a last
minute course change you won't have time to enter the changes quickly.
- If you are in the right, do not move for other racers just because
they are on more "competitive" boats like J's. They always want you to get
out of the way, especially at the start, but you're racing too.
- I always enjoy putting a fishing rod on the stern just to frustrate
the other racers (no line in the water.. just make it look like you're
fishing).

Have fun and good luck!

Chris
s/v/ Pelican
Passport 40 #76

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 1:36:33 PM UTC-4, wi...@appletonproperties.com
wrote:
rickc...@aol.com: Jun 07 05:49PM -0400

Lots of excellent advice coming your way from fellow "tuba sailors." A thought: if you've got similar tanks to ours, 130 gal of water = 1083lb + 70 gal of diesel = 455 lb. Would you invite 8 big guys to sit on the cabin floor doing nothing during the race?? That's not exactly like "meat on the rail" to keep you upright.

Rick Cooley
Drambuoy (136)

[...]

An empty boat always goes fastest. For racing, we always removed all the
doors, even the head, and took off all the chain, rode, anchors, even
tooth brushes. Good luck.

P.S. Bob Perry wouldn't know a tuba even if it was blowing up his backside.

Billy Manana

John Baudendistel

Jun 8, 2016, 6:14:48 PM6/8/16
to Robert Settle, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Fewest tacks and don't forget to maximize current strategy if any.  Many a races are won and lost here on SF Bay due to staying in or out of the current.

Thanks
John

Michael Moradzadeh

Jun 8, 2016, 6:37:23 PM6/8/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

And out of the mud.  Stay out of the mud.  It's slow.

Bob Peahl

Jun 10, 2016, 12:40:13 PM6/10/16
to Michael Moradzadeh, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
We move the liquor to the bilge when racing.  Definitely improves the trim.

Bob Peahl
Anthem P40/70

Sent from my iPhone