P40 - Floor in Pullman hanging locker. Can it be removed ?

1 view

Ben Nicol

Mar 15, 2018, 3:13:29 PM3/15/18
to Passport Owners
Hi all,

We are about to head off for our cruise and I am a few weeks into a tidy up / refit.

We have a horrible musty rotten wood smell coming from our aft hanging locker in our Pullman stateroom. It is from the neglected chain plates leaking. The leaks have been corrected and new chain plates installed some time ago but the smell still lingers.

I am wondering if the floor of the aft most hanging locker comes up. I would love to clean in there as I think this Is where the smell is being held. The floor in the forward locker has a hole cut into the floor for lifting. The aft one doesn’t.

Any advice ?

Regards,
Ben

Donald Fife

Mar 15, 2018, 3:20:17 PM3/15/18
to Ben Nicol, Passport Owners
Hi Ben

I have hull 25 and both hanging locker floors can be removed. Check the ceiling in the locker by knocking on it. If your finger goes through it’s rotten and needs replacing. My aft locker and teak claim plate cover/ceiling had to be replaced.
Good luck😊

Don
SV Bugler hull 25

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Marty McOmber

Mar 15, 2018, 3:22:13 PM3/15/18
to Ben Nicol, Passport Owners
Hi Ben,

Been doing a lot of work on my Passport 40 that has involved furniture. I'd guess that you could get a Fein Multimaster-type tool and cut out the floor in the hanging locker.  That will allow you to assess the extent of the water damage. You might find that it has affect and transverse support beam.

I'm really loving how the stick-built nature of our boat makes these kinds of repairs at least doable.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Matthew Davidson

Mar 27, 2018, 7:27:58 PM3/27/18
to Passport Owners
I cannot believe how handy a Fein Multimaster-type tool has been on our boat... must have!
Matthew

Chip Ewing

Apr 16, 2018, 5:14:47 PM4/16/18
to Passport Owners
Have you ever tried Kanberra gel? It is a combination of Tea Tree Oil and Eycaliptis. It's the same natural defense trees use against mold. You can get small cups with holes in the top and place them all over the boat. The make a spray too. It's expensive but worth it.

Chip
Sideways