Passport 41 storm and light-air sail plan questions

Ross Hoag

Jul 26, 2016, 4:33:02 PM7/26/16
to Passport Owners
I am the new owner of PEKINA (formerly Touché) a Passport 41.

I have been following this site since I started shopping for a Passport over a year ago. Thanks for all the great background and buying tips!

My sail plan questions:

1) We plan to do some extended cruising in just over a year so I am looking into storm sail plans. I am very interested in any feedback from other Passport owners in regard to what you have used for your storm sail setups. In particular, are you happy with your current setup and if so why.  If not, what would you do differently now that you have some experience. I have done lots of reading but most of it describes what you need to have as far as a trysail and staysail/storm jib but I don't find much feedback from actual users on how these setups have actually worked out or what they would now do differently after using them.  I have a tall mast sloop rigged Passport 41 with removable inner stay and double reefed main.  I was planning on adding a storm staysail first, since it may get periodic use while we are building up to our longer term cruising goals.

2) I am also interested in feedback on light-air sail options as well. I have been looking at cruising code zeros and would love to hear what other Passport owners have found to be workable light air sail plans given a crew of two in a cruising situation.

Your thoughts and observations would be much appreciated.

Ross

Larry Rovin

Jul 26, 2016, 5:11:26 PM7/26/16
to Ross Hoag, Passport Owners

If you already have the removable inner forestay then definitely get a staysail for it.  Staysail and double reefed main works very well.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

John Baudendistel

Jul 26, 2016, 6:33:24 PM7/26/16
to Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
Hi Ross,

We have the p42 double ender by Stan Huntingford.  Designed as a true cutter rig.  We set it up with dual pro furler up front.  Tested during the Costal Cup 2001.  We had 40-45kts downhill to Catalina Isl. Uphill on our return from Mx we had 40/45 kts.  For uphill we used a triple reeefed main and 2' of the stay sail out.  Worked great.

Unless your crossing an ocean not certain the tri sail is needed for costal work.

I have a 180 asymmetric which works well for light stuff.  I use an atn tracker and a French sock.

For dead down wind I use the full main and 130 Jenna with the pole out.  Spin pole is mast mounted with a 6:1 car system.

Thanks
John Baudendistel
Dream Keeper
P 42.

Kenyon Stewart

Jul 26, 2016, 7:10:29 PM7/26/16
to John Baudendistel, Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
As others have said, an inner forestay for a staysail or even a solent stay provide a good way to shorten sail in a hurry.  A staysail will set far better than an genoa rolled up to 80% and will bring the center of effort in towards the center of the boat which also helps greatly.  I plan on getting a 110%-120% genoa that isn't quite as high cut as the one I currently have for my working jib with the staysail for bigger breeze.  For light air, I am planning on a cruising code zero that sets on a removable bowsprit with a Facnor furler.  I have an Asymmetric spinnaker, but don't foresee using it too much.  If you search the Sailing Anarchy forums, there is a pretty good thread where Evans Starzinger talks about how much they use the code zero on Hawk since they got it.  They actually don't use the Asymmetric much anymore for downwind, they go wing and wing with the code zero and genoa.  This way, they don't have the main trying to round them up and to decrease sail they can furl either sail quickly.  Here's a good article by a sailmaker who actually goes cruising.

I can't pass up an opportunity to abuse Johnny B, so I have to disagree that the P42 is a "true cutter" just because his has an inner forestay that's removable.  It's a cutter rigged sloop which is just a sloop with an inner stay or "cutter rig".  A "true cutter" would have the mast further forward with a much bigger main, a yankee out on a bowsprit and the staysail is on the forestay where the jib is on a sloop.  Like this...

John Baudendistel

Jul 26, 2016, 7:30:18 PM7/26/16
to Kenyon Stewart, Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
Have to disagree Kenyon.  The Bob Perry p40-43 were designed as a sloop.  Albeit some may have been ordered with an inner stay.  The p42 came stock as a cutter with a hull designed for the inner stay.  The mast is further aft than on a p40.  Bottom line the two boats were designed differently.  The 42 is not a sloop with a pad eye added as an after thought.  So let's call it a Cutter .  Vs true.

I do like the new code zero which would make use easier.  So Kenyon if I added the code zero on a sprit, would it then be a true cutter?  Take care all!

Thanks
John Baudendistel