Simpson Lawrence Sea Siger 555 Manual Windlass

Kevin

Apr 2, 2016, 2:46:02 PM4/2/16
to Passport Owners
The time has come to move to an electric windlass and we've pulled the old Simpson Lawrence Sea Tiger 555 off Casi Cielo.  The windlass isn't pretty, but it works fine.  If anyone still has one of these on their Passport and is interested in a back-up or spare parts let me know.  You pay the freight from Ft. Lauderdale.

Kevin

SLST555 Pic 1.JPG
SLST555 Pic 2.JPG

Kevin

Apr 2, 2016, 2:49:40 PM4/2/16
to Passport Owners
Hit "Post" too quickly...  It has a 3/8" wildcat.

Ian Macrae

May 30, 2016, 2:32:35 PM5/30/16
to Passport Owners
Kevin, what are you replacing it with? I'm got the same manual windlass you do and want to upgrade with something fairly robust. Are you placing a dedicated battery forward or running some tree trunk size cable from your main battery bank?

What is the group's advice on electric windlasses?

ian

ddockrat

May 30, 2016, 3:51:18 PM5/30/16
to Ian Macrae, Passport Owners
Caribbean Soul has an Ideal vertical chain gypsy with rope capstan it's robust been reliable support is great as it was made within five miles of my home. Cliff is very proud of his products and always has parts and info. It's powered with the giant  cables.
Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPhone
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Larry Rovin

May 30, 2016, 4:36:40 PM5/30/16
to ddockrat, Ian Macrae, Passport Owners
You either have to have big cables to power the windlass or almost as big cables to charge the remote battery. Since we only run the windlass when under power, we opted to run it off the house bank, also eliminating the weight of the battery up front.

Sent from my iPad

rhp...@verizon.net

May 31, 2016, 12:29:35 PM5/31/16
to versin...@gmail.com, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
We installed a Maxwell vertical gypsy/capstan, running cables to the house bank.  This system works faultlessly for us.

Bob Peahl
Anthem

Kevin

May 31, 2016, 1:52:32 PM5/31/16
to Passport Owners
Ian,

I installed a Maxwell VWC 1500, which has the chain gypsy and rope capstan.  (Note - I would have loved to put an Ideal up there, but not in my budget.  Ideal is about the best windlass there is IMO.)  I looked at both options for driving the windlass - dedicated batteries forward or using the house bank and came down on the side of the house bank.  A few reasons, most of which are among the threads on this subject:

1.  I didn't want the extra weight up front;
2.  I would still have to run the heavy wires from one end of the boat to the other i either scanerio;
3.  We are always have the engine running when we haul the anchor;
4.  Less complexity means fewer problems.

A couple of notes about the install:

1.  The Maxwell's hawse pipe location is on the port side of the windlass while the SL's is on the starboard side.  Seal one hole up and cut another.  Kills me sometimes.  After aligning the windless properly the location of the chain's drop into the locker is close to the holding tank (Casi Cielo has the Pullman layout, so the holding tank is in the chain locker on the port side).  With 200' of 3/8" chain it's working OK.
2.  It goes without saying that none of the Maxwell's mounting bolts were similar to the SL's, so more holes sealed and drilled.
3.  I took the opportunity to reinforce the foredeck by epoxying in a 1" piece of Coosa board that almost covers the entire underside of the deck in the chain locker area.
4.  We decided on an "UP" foot switch by the windlass - no "DOWN"  One less hole in the deck, less clutter, and lowering is easier than raising.  We put a wired remote in the cockpit with a nice long cord that allows up or down.  I'm still considering a wireless remote, but not there yet.

Kevin
Casi Cielo
1983 P40

Matthew Davidson

Jun 3, 2016, 1:09:32 PM6/3/16
to Passport Owners
I had that manual windlass on my old Rawson 30!

We have 4/0 cable from the House bank to the Maxwell 1200 windlass on Wildflower. This cable survived the fire so all I am doing is cleaning up the terminals and will go through the Maxwell manual for general maintenance. Hope it will do the job as I'm losing momentum now that it's summer. It would be nice to have remote in your Cockpit for operation. We currently have the foot switches up on the Stbd bow. Going to have to pull them up and put raised G10 pads down on deck to keep any wash on deck leaking below over time. Found lots of bad bedding around and above the chain locker... pretty much have to re-bed everything.

I like Kevin's idea of adding reinforcement underneath... G-10 Fiberglass panel with Structural epoxy puddy may be somethnig to look at for a good backer. Strong as hell. The sucky part is surface prep below before mounting the backer plate. Suggest making a massive batch of epoxy paste so it will be easy to mate with curvature of the deck. Good luck and let me know how it goes?

Matthew
SV Wildflower P40
Mat...@Anteccorporation.com

rocke...@hotmail.com

Jun 13, 2016, 1:08:36 PM6/13/16
to Passport Owners
hi Kevin
the SL 555 on my boat is in dire need of a new wildcat, and i do use the 3/8 BBB chain. i would be interested in getting just the wildcat or the whole windlass from you.
text me at 360 301 0235 if you still have it.  Mike