Re: [Passport] Digest for PassportOwners@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Robert Settle

Jul 9, 2016, 2:05:57 PM7/9/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
PYI (Maxprop) has some of the best customer service out there. They rebuild and reweld (add) metal to the gears and re-machine so when you get your prop back it's about as good as new. It is expensive though. My blades were pretty far gone and required re-sheeting and the repair cost was more than half a new unit so I bought new. If you have the old style that is not easily underwater adjustable it's a good idea to just go with a new one although expensive should last another 20 years or so with maintenance

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 9:22 AM, <Passpor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Ernie Reuter <ern...@gmail.com>: Jul 08 12:11PM -0400

Hi all.. We are having some issues with getting our max prop to fold
properly after the grease has worn out and the barnacles have set in. It
was installed by the po. I have the original prop that i could put back on
at this time which would save a bunch of headaches. Didnt want to do this
before i checked in with you all to see what difference if any there would
be in performance. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Ernie on SV Iemanja

Jim Melton <Shelt...@xmission.com>: Jul 08 10:22AM -0600

Ernie,

I'm sorry that I am unable to help you directly with your problem.

However, if you decide that you want to put the original prop back on, I
might be interested in buying the MaxProp from you.

Fair winds,
Jim

On 7/8/2016 10:11 AM, Ernie Reuter wrote:
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

HSUS spends 5x as much on their retirement plan as
they spend on animal rescue/shelters. FIVE TIMES!!
** Permission to repost this message is granted **
** unless explicitly denied in THIS message. **
Jim Melton SheltieJim at xmission dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive, Sandy, UT 84093-1063
Assistant Director, National Sheltie Rescue Network
Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992
Please visit Sheltie Rescue of Utah, Inc. at
http://SheltieRescueUT.org
Saving The World, One Sheltie At A Time
"View[+]Finder" <wcx...@gmail.com>: Jul 08 09:57AM -0700

Hi Ernie,
ViewFinder has a MaxProp and over 20k miles at sea, with much motor sailing. The folding prop (if folded, duh) cuts drag when under sail in moderate wind and adds about half a knot (Source: boat PHRF ratings, rumor, speculation, memory of MaxProp claims), however the fixed prop will give you that half-knot at the top end when under power or motor-sailing. Plus, the fixed prop is more reliable in the 1% of conditions when really needed. That said, I never had a problem that the MaxProp couldn’t handle.

The simple answer is “don’t let the grease run out; scrape of the barnacles.” I added a zirk fitting to allow grease to be added without taking the prop apart and used a putty knife to get the varmints off the prop when at anchor in a harbor.

Uhh, you do know to put the prop in reverse (with the engine off) to get it to flatten out, right?

Donal

View[+]Finder

Donal B. Botkin
1 Peninsula Road, Gate B
Belvedere, CA 94920

415 497-5411

On Jul 8, 2016, at 09:22 , Jim Melton <Shelt...@xmission.com> wrote:

Ernie,

I'm sorry that I am unable to help you directly with your problem.

However, if you decide that you want to put the original prop back on, I might be interested in buying the MaxProp from you.

Fair winds,
Jim

On 7/8/2016 10:11 AM, Ernie Reuter wrote:
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.

HSUS spends 5x as much on their retirement plan as
they spend on animal rescue/shelters. FIVE TIMES!!
** Permission to repost this message is granted **
** unless explicitly denied in THIS message. **
Jim Melton SheltieJim at xmission dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive, Sandy, UT 84093-1063
Assistant Director, National Sheltie Rescue Network
Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992
Please visit Sheltie Rescue of Utah, Inc. at
http://SheltieRescueUT.org <http://sheltierescueut.org/>
Saving The World, One Sheltie At A Time

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org <http://passportyachts.org/>
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

We love our Max Prop. Consider sending it to the manufacturer to recondition. We did that a few years ago. Noticeable improvement with feathering.

Can't imagine going back to the fixed prop.

Bob Peahl
Anthem P40/70

Sent from my iPhone

Ernie Reuter

Jul 10, 2016, 8:28:51 AM7/10/16
to Robert Settle, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for your feedback.
While I've gotten good feedback from those with a Max Prop, how about those who have the original fixed prop. We don't have any experience with the original prop as to how the boat handles in reverse.
Currently with the Max Prop, we have very nice power in reverse and I can spin the boat within its own length by putting the wheel hard over and leaving it there, while alternating forward and reverse on the shifter. I would not want to compromise this great control. Does one have this same type of control with the fixed prop?
If I lost this spinning ability by going to the fixed prop, then I would not go back to the old fixed.....I would stay with the Max....

Thanks once again....Ernie....

Larry Rovin

Jul 10, 2016, 9:43:52 AM7/10/16
to Ernie Reuter, Robert Settle, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

In that case you will be sticking with the Maxprop.  Much better in reverse than a fixed prop.

gw62469

Jul 10, 2016, 10:13:34 AM7/10/16
to Ernie Reuter, Robert Settle, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
You can do the spin, but only in one direction, in my case to starboard.  Also (with my fixed prop) I can make a sharp turn to starboard, but sometimes need to do a 270 to turn sharp to port.
Gary Wilson

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

John Baudendistel

Jul 10, 2016, 7:42:02 PM7/10/16
to gw62469, Ernie Reuter, Robert Settle, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

Hi there, we can easily turn our p42 in its own length to the starboard. Helm hard over, blasts of power in forward and reverse.  We pull to port in reverse.  Also because of this we plan most docking on the port side. With a blast of reverse she pulls the stern right into the dock and stops.  3 blade fixed.

Dream Keeper