Anchor windlass recommendations

Jeff Beller

Apr 29, 2018, 12:55:01 PM4/29/18
to Passport Owners
Our original Maxwell windlass of more than 30 years has died and will finally be put to rest after much faithful service.  Motor has a dead short and mechanical pieces (gear box, etc.) are worn.

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement.  This is for a P40 and we are using 5/16" HT all chain rode with a 44lb Delta.  I'm leaning towards a Lofrans Project 1000 or 1500.  I am most concerned about having enough pulling power.  Per specs, the 1000 has enough, but our old Maxwell was also a 1000 watt unit and it could not lift the ground tackle from deep water (over 70').  However, the 1500 unit is $1100 more and my cheap side is wondering if I really need it.  Thoughts or experience with what is adequate?

Jeff
SV Journey
Ventura, CA

robhen...@hotmail.com

Apr 29, 2018, 2:10:07 PM4/29/18
to Passport Owners
Jeff,

China Doll running ~200 feet of G40 HT (sized like 3/8 BBB but lighter in HT metal —close to 5/16 BBB weight per-foot) using the LOFREN’S 1500, works quite well (quick feet-per-minute retrieval). Look at the spec’s but the lower cost 1000 may be enough for the P40 running 5/16 BBB. One item we had issue with is the plastic hawse pipe cover (or near that area) on the LOFREN’S —at the deck pipe intake broke and still needs replacement, although the IMARTA dealer stated they would replace it (2012)...

Billy Manana

Apr 30, 2018, 2:40:42 PM4/30/18
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

    Jeff, we have had the LoFrans 1000 on Wind Witch for 20+ years, using it a lot in Mexico ,the west coast US and British Columbia. We have been more than satisfied. I like that it has a very rapid return. I cannot speak to anchoring in 70' of water, however. Can't say I ever wanted to nor had to. Do you know where you are going to anchor in such deep water? Or is it fireside dreaming?

Billy Manana

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

John Baudendistel

Apr 30, 2018, 8:18:47 PM4/30/18
to Billy Manana, Passport Owners
Billy,

Food for Thought:.....

In France you would use 70+ feet. .  We did it on Phil's boat.  Had out at least 70'  We did not make it into the next harbor before the gate closed to the harbor.  Then had to wait outside and ancor for the night by a cliff.  The water literally went straight down.  Phil, Laurel and I did an anchor watch all night with the Radar etc..  I will admit an unusual circumstance.

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Thanks,

John Baudendistel

psherwood

Apr 30, 2018, 9:16:34 PM4/30/18
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I anchored in 75' this March just past in Honeymoon Cove, Isla Danzante
(Sea of Cortez, across from Puerto Escondido). Not ideal, but I was last
boat into the anchorage that afternoon, and all the 25'-40' depth spots
were taken. The weather was flat calm, so no problem. Would have been
nervous-making if a strong norther had been blowing, although the cove
is well protected from the north.

BTW, Puerto Escondido is completely marina-controlled nowadays, even the
Waiting Room. It's part of the Loreto Nat'l Park -- no anchoring
permitted; it's required to take a mooring ball.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos
>> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

Ernie Reuter

May 1, 2018, 8:05:23 AM5/1/18
to John Baudendistel, Billy Manana, Passport Owners
We have a Quick 1500 vertical on Iemanja. Been very happy with it since it’s install 2012. We rarely anchor in deeper than 30’ so cant say how it would perform in deeper water. I would think that it should work fine. Certainly enough pulling power.

I will say that we treat our windlass with great respect.....always break the anchor loose with the boat, when setting the anchor we don’t put any unneeded pull on it.......we use a spectra line purchase with anchor hook as a chain break. We wait till the chain is vertical before pulling up chain.

Ernie and Bette
SV Iemanja......currently at Titusville FL heading south