Manouvering astern, image required.

David Pawley

Mar 11, 2017, 4:30:17 PM3/11/17
to Passport Owners
My boat is a custom passport, The engine is near mid ships, the propshaft exits about a foot down from the top of the trailing edge of the keel. I single hand mostly, what a louzy boat to manoever in reverse, a lot can be said for prop wash acting on the rudder, fortunately the rudder is huge. But side thrust is negligable. Not sure how custom my vessel is. So how do other passporters get around this?, would love to see a detailed cross section drawing of a Passport 40/41, could some one provide me with this. Thanks David

This is a old link of my boat http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/classifieds/ad/28777/passport-42-cruising-yachts-qld

George Louis

Mar 11, 2017, 7:00:52 PM3/11/17
to David Pawley, Passport Owners
Beautiful customization nicest one I've seen. Back and fill is what I'm used to.

George Louis
Windthief #90

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 11, 2017, at 1:30 PM, David Pawley <paw...@gmail.com> wrote:

My boat is a custom passport, The engine is near mid ships, the propshaft exits about a foot down from the top of the trailing edge of the keel. I single hand mostly, what a louzy boat to manoever in reverse, a lot can be said for prop wash acting on the rudder, fortunately the rudder is huge. But side thrust is negligable. Not sure how custom my vessel is. So how do other passporters get around this?, would love to see a detailed cross section drawing of a Passport 40/41, could some one provide me with this. Thanks David

This is a old link of my boat http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/classifieds/ad/28777/passport-42-cruising-yachts-qld

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Ross Hoag

Mar 11, 2017, 7:23:08 PM3/11/17
to Passport Owners
We have a Passport 41 - S/V Pekina, she is also a pig in reverse, hard to know exactly which way she will go when backing down under power with any speed.

I knew this going in, mainly due to the fin keel and skeg hung rudder setup. You need to get your "Back and Fill" maneuver down, it will save your bacon. You can search for videos and instructions on youtube. It works pretty well and is easy to master with some practice.

Go out and perfect it in calm open water until you can turn the boat around in her own length with confidence...you will need this skill. It only works in one direction and that needs to be factored into any docking plans (think plan B).

Next, always think through any docking or departure carefully noting the wind and current which can/will have a big impact on what you need to do and when.

Have a plan B worked out if things go wrong.

At our slip we have a fixed rear spring line that we leave on the dock.  We grab it with a boat hook when coming back in then drive the boat onto the spring line and into the dock with a hard over rudder and forward idle. If your spring line pivot point is correct she should lay up and stay there while you secure the rest of the lines. We never jump off the boat!

After any docking, good or bad, we celebrate usually with vodka tonics!

We love our Passport!

Given the rest of her qualities we can live with and/or learn to manage her poor performance while backing down.

I am sure some of the other long time Passport owners may have other tricks to share.

Ross

George Louis

Mar 11, 2017, 7:29:11 PM3/11/17
to Ross Hoag, Passport Owners
Also backing out use another long stern line draped around the last cleat on the dock. When the moment presents itself hold the line tight so that the boat may pivot. Then let go of line and haul it in quickly so you don't foul the prop.

George Louis
Windthief #90
Lying in La Paz, MX

Sent from my iPad