Nanni oil pressure

Brian

Sep 3, 2015, 12:17:15 PM9/3/15
to Passport Owners
I have an 84 P40 with a Nanni 4.180. Just launched last week and noticed my oil pressure running high (I think). I'm measuring it with a pressure gauge connected directly where the sensor screws in in the block, not the cockpit gauge. Starts out over 100 psi, gradually comes down to low 50's when warmed up to 80 deg C. I don't remember it running this high before. Have replaced the filter and oil, checked the oil pressure relief valve.

So my question for other Nanni owners out there: What does your oil pressure run on startup and after the engine is warmed up? I'm not sure now what's normal for this engine...

Brian Moloney
1984 P40 Toloa
Deale, MD

Brian Moloney

Sep 3, 2015, 1:18:46 PM9/3/15
to Passport Owners

And just checked at higher rpms – jumps up over 100 psi at just 500 rpm.

Brian

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Bill Schmidt

Sep 3, 2015, 2:30:15 PM9/3/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hypertensive, Brian, hypertensive. The Nanni is based on a Mercedes diesel block. You may need to get information from them as to what is what. Good luck.
Billy Manana
bill.vcf

Ian Macrae

Sep 10, 2015, 4:11:39 PM9/10/15
to Passport Owners

Brian - I've got the Mercedes engine, too. Its oil pressure seems to settle in around 30 or so if I remember right, (I'm thankfully not on the boat after having just motored up to Seattle from La Paz, so I can't check) once it's warmed up to 80C. Not sure why people disparagingly call them Nannis. I mean, there are just a few Nanni bits hung off that beautiful German designed and built Mercedes!

Ian

Freyja #49

Rob Raymond

Sep 10, 2015, 5:06:53 PM9/10/15
to Passport Owners
Ian, your positive comments about the engine give me reason to hope. We're new to the boat, and after spending 9 months on a refit, we managed to get a months use before the water pump went. Now we're land lubbers again until the pump and new glow plugs I ordered come from England. That 50hp Beta is looking pretty nice at the moment! The engine runs beautiful when it runs, but finding parts is a real pain.

It would be nice to know the oil pressure... If I could find an oil pressure sender.

Rob

John Wither

Sep 10, 2015, 7:37:21 PM9/10/15
to Bill Schmidt, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I have the Nannie 4.220 HE engine, and the manual says that it is based on the Kubota industrial engine.  I have the numbers of that engine at home and if anyone would like the Kubota engine numbers let me know.  The Kubota engine parts ( apart from the heat exchanger) are compatible with the engine and considerably cheaper than the Nanni parts.

John Wither
P40. 1984, Wayfarer.
Perth.

Sent from my iPad
<bill.vcf>

Kevin

Sep 16, 2015, 8:26:49 AM9/16/15
to Passport Owners
I echo Ian's comments. My '83 P40 houses a Nanni 4.180 which nails the pressure gauge at start-up (max pressure reading on the gauge is 100 PSI) and settles to just over 30 PSI when warmed up.

Kevin Muilman
Casi Cielo
1983 P40

Ian Macrae

Sep 18, 2015, 1:01:44 AM9/18/15
to Passport Owners

Rob, the guy at    http://west4x4.demonweb.co.uk/OM636/marine.html    has a ton of Mercedes OM636 parts. Try him for a pressure sender. I was stuck in Sausalito a month or so ago and had to order a new fresh water pump from west4x4 in England; it arrived three days later. You mentioned your water pump failing, but not which one. My fresh water pump has gradually started leaking after about every 200 engine hours. I've installed 4 of them in 8 years. The previous owner had installed a 150 amp alternator. The engine was designed for an 80 amp alternator and the water pump can't handle the extra pressure. While figuring that out I learned that you spend about one horsepower for every 25 amps, so a 150 amp alternator requires 6 HP when it's in bulk charge mode.

Remember that new engines break down and require regular servicing, too. I think these OM636s with the few Nanni parts on them are good solid engines. While it sure would be nice to have one of those 57HP Yanmars the next time I motor/sail 2500 miles upwind.....I sorta like having the $25,000 in my pocket.

Ian

Freyja #49

Rob Raymond

Sep 18, 2015, 12:30:31 PM9/18/15
to Passport Owners
If UPS gets it's act together I'll have the new fresh water pump and fast start glow plugs from Manfred today. He's been great to deal with. The old one is the oil filled type, perhaps even the original.

He didn't have the oil sender, so I'm trying a repair on the existing one, I'll see how it works tonight. Otherwise it's a new it's a new gauge, sender and re-wiring. I'll add it to my list of Winter projects.

Kevin

Sep 25, 2015, 3:21:14 PM9/25/15
to Passport Owners
I just came across a tech bulletin on the OM636 that Manfred Princz at Westfield sent me some time ago.  I'm not sure of his source.

OM636 TECH BULLETIN

===================

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE

There are several factors that influence the engine's operating oil

pressure.

Oil pressure is provided by the oil pump and determined by the viscosity

of the lubricating oil and the bearing clearances through which the oil

must pass.  Although it is generally accepted that the condition of the

crankshaft bearings is of great significance, our experience shows that

the camshaft and camshaft bearings significantly influence the

engine's oil pressure.

According to many users, the OM636 can survive being operated for long

periods on relatively low oil pressure.  Whilst any figure between 2 - 8

bar can be viewed as 'normal' over the operating speed and temperature

range, an oil pressure of 0.6 bar @ 600 rpm (idle speed) with the oil

hot should be considered the absolute minimum acceptable before an

engine rebuild is required.  Conversion: {1 bar ~ 14 lbs/in2}.

The use of the 'high volume' oil pump with taller gears is not

recommended to alleviate low oil pressure because the pressure relief

valve screwed into the main gallery is unable to dump the extra volume

produced back into the sump.